What an opposing coach says about the end of our year

mtvols

Here's what an opposing coach has to say in Athlon about the end of our year last year:

"I don't know how they'll be on defense. As everybody over there got hurt, they got really bad, and you can sit there and say it's the coaches fault, but when you're playing with second- and third-stringers in our league you'll get gashed, especially on the back end. Vanderbilt hung (45) on them and it's not like Tennessee doesn't know what they are doing"

What about it Negavols, you are always blaming CBJ? Here's an opposing coach saying you can't blame coaching.

Reactions: 43 people
Here's what an opposing coach has to say in Athlon about the end of our year last year:

"I don't know how they'll be on defense. As everybody over there got hurt, they got really bad, and you can sit there and say it's the coaches fault, but when you're playing with second- and third-stringers in our league you'll get gashed, especially on the back end. Vanderbilt hung (45) on them and it's not like Tennessee doesn't know what they are doing"

What about it Negavols, you are always blaming CBJ? Here's an opposing coach saying you can't blame coaching.

its real common for coaches to support each other.. next time you see a coach say something bad about a rival coach please copy and paste that.

Reactions: 18 people
All true guys. But these quotes are purposefully anonymous. I tend to agree with the assessment. At least I hope he's right and our coaches don't suck.

Reactions: 5 people

Sounds alot like when Saban was high on Dooley being our coach and needed more time!

Reactions: 1 person
Sounds alot like when Saban was high on Dooley being our coach and needed more time!

No it don't. It sounds like a coach that knows how tough it is, when u lose 3 out of 4 of your top DTs, 2 starting LBs and best cover DB. I am not justifying the USCe and Vandy losses but even other SEC coaches understand how hard it can be to field a competitive defense with those kind of injuries

Last edited:
Reactions: 30 people
It's a pretty factual comment in the OP. The 2016 injuries were devastating.

Despite the narrative that Butch is stubborn, he has made some changes that indicate to me that he has the potential to make things better at TN. If he stays focused on what he does best and defers to a competent staff for a lot of the game day stuff, he could become another great TN head coach.

Reactions: 15 people
While it's indisputable that the defense was gutted due to injuries by the end of the season, those injuries weren't responsible for the offensive failures in the the USCe game and the 2nd half against Vanderbilt.

Reactions: 9 people
While it's indisputable that the defense was gutted due to injuries by the end of the season, those injuries weren't responsible for the offensive failures in the the USCe game and the 2nd half against Vanderbilt.

Facts, man... It bothers their kind..

Reactions: 12 people
there were a lot of injured players, but should Butch not have known they where out of shape. some of the injuries where questionable . a lot of player just quit playing hard for Jones. in the opener he had all his players and won . but that win was a long shot like GA. they count 9-4 was very questionable . they did worse than there record.

The offense had losses as well. Seems like the starting O-line had to be reconfigured every week. Some guy named Hurd quit. 5-star WR quit too. Plus Dobbs was budgeting a lot of his time to do school stuff... nice to see that happen with college athletes these days.

Reactions: 10 people

The lesser teams often win in college football. It happens all the time. 18-22 year olds aren't perfect. There's little difference between 50 or 60 college football staffs outside of the top 3 or four.

Despite the catastrophic attrition, Tennessee still managed to have their best record in about a decade. 2007 was the last one that was better... even that year they're better by only one game. TN hasn't won 11 since 2001. That's the reality of playing in the SEC.

Last edited:
Reactions: 13 people
The lesser teams often win in college football. It happens all the time. 18-22 year olds aren't perfect. There's little difference between 50 or 60 college football staffs outside of the top 3 or four.

Despite the catastrophic attrition, Tennessee still managed to have their best record in about a decade.

Reactions: 26 people

Here's another opposing coach

Tennessee unquestionably was one of the biggest underachievers nationally in 2016, and one SEC assistant coach said Tennessee’s athletic director situation may have saved Jones from being fired.

UT athletic director Dave Hart announced last August that he would be retiring effective June 2017. His replacement, Kansas State AD John Currie, was named earlier this month. An anonymous SEC assistant thinks the instability in the overall program may have helped Jones.

“I think he’s … benefited from that (AD change),” one SEC assistant told 247Sports.com. “If they had a stable AD, I bet he’s gone. I know a lot of coaches who feel like they’re kind of taking it easy on him. It’s been there for the taking for them. They never took it.”

Reactions: 6 people
Here's another opposing coach

Tennessee unquestionably was one of the biggest underachievers nationally in 2016, and one SEC assistant coach said Tennessee’s athletic director situation may have saved Jones from being fired.

UT athletic director Dave Hart announced last August that he would be retiring effective June 2017. His replacement, Kansas State AD John Currie, was named earlier this month. An anonymous SEC assistant thinks the instability in the overall program may have helped Jones.

“I think he’s … benefited from that (AD change),” one SEC assistant told 247Sports.com. “If they had a stable AD, I bet he’s gone. I know a lot of coaches who feel like they’re kind of taking it easy on him. It’s been there for the taking for them. They never took it.”

I think he may be full of ****.

Reactions: 7 people

Hard to be an effective QB playing while wearing a backpack full of textbooks.

Reactions: 2 people
I think he may be full of ****.

Good possibility he is, there's lots of opinions out there. Once again the east is weak and it's all but put on a platter for Butch. I guess we will just have to wait and see if he sh!t's the bed again this year. Though I'm not sure why expectations were ever high with Butch, he is what his record says he is and that's a career 8 win football coach.

Reactions: 1 person
That was Travis Haney.
He wrote a second UT hit piece shortly after despite warnings from his employer.

Mr Haney is no longer employed there.

I don't like Travis, at all. However just because you don't agree with what he wrote doesn't mean he should have been fired, unless you had 100% proof that what he was reporting was false.

Why wouldn't an opposing SEC coach stick up for Butch? My guess is most of them never want him to leave.

Reactions: 3 people
USCe & Vandy have entire rosters of 2nd & 3rd stringers talent wise. The excise making is almost as pathetic as the losses...

Reactions: 6 people

VN Store

Back