The mental gymnastics of Butch apologists

I was criticizing Butch's body of work at UT thus far and a guy told me that every coach who has ever been at UT occasionally lost games they should have won. LOL! As if that is a good enough reason to quit criticizing Butch and accept the status quo. It's definitely true that every coach has had some bad losses in their coaching careers. Having said that, good coaches make up for those occasional bad losses with great seasons and upset wins. Fulmer, for example, had some bad losses but won a national title and competed for SEC championships on a regular basis. Meanwhile, Butch has still yet to get to Atlanta and has established a pattern of blowing a few games every year. So, by that Butch apologist's logic Butch and Fulmer are on the same footing because they both have bad losses on their resume.

Reactions: 7 people
Wow..So that guy you talked to said quit criticizing CBJ?? And I guess his statement was untrue? Wow....

Reactions: 15 people
Or maybe they just realize this isn't fantasy football and the future isn't decided by your b*******.

I've seen constant whining on here and it hasn't had any consequences except being annoying to those of us that try to enjoy discussing football. Absolutely no other results. It doesn't help your cause whatsoever.

Just something to think about.

Reactions: 73 people
Last season was the only disappointing season since Butch has been here and in all honesty it was two games that took a great season and made it a good season. I think you started this thread to start another nega vs pumper thread. It is your right just like D4H can say this is an 11 win season coming up. Tennessee has NEVER consistently been a national championship contender. I hope we will be under CBJ but I would never expect it to happen more than once or twice in my lifetime. Atlanta is obtainable.

Last edited:
Reactions: 29 people
People who get paid millions to get results should always be under scrutiny. Especially if they regularly fail to meet expectations.

Who has said otherwise?? Everything you post is negative..We get it..You hate CBJ and everything he does is wrong..But if starting another "Butch Sucks" thread makes you feel better then have at it......

Reactions: 36 people
Oh, good, a thread about Butch haters versus Butch lovers.

Because we haven't had enough of those lately. It's not like every thread about anything in the world eventually turns into this very topic.

Reactions: 8 people
Last season was the only disappointing season since Butch has been here and in all honesty it was two games that took a great season and made it a good season. I Think you started this thread to start another nega vs pumper thread. It is your right just like much D4H can say this is an 11 win season coming up. Tennessee has NEVER consistently been a national championship contender. I hope we will be under CBJ but I would never expect it to happen more than once or twice in my lifetime. Atlanta our is obtainable.
I consider a good season to be one where expectations are met or exceeded. The expectation last year was to win the East and we failed to do that thus it was a bad season.

I consider a good season to be one where expectations are met or exceeded. The expectation last year was to win the East and we failed to do that thus it was a bad season.

That is your opinion. A really stupid one if you ask me but your opinion is yours to keep. 9 wins with one being Florida is never a bad season IMO.

Last edited:
Reactions: 31 people
Bwahahaha. When you've been faithfully suffering and dropping thousands of bucks each year since 1984, then you can lay claim to that name.

Reactions: 4 people
Oh, good, a thread about Butch haters versus Butch lovers.

Because we haven't had enough of those lately. It's not like every thread about anything in the world eventually turns into this very topic.

Lol, the best part about all these "Butch lovers and apologists", I have no idea how many there really are.
I've been accused of being one 3 times in the last 2 months. All 3 times, I asked for 1 little thing. Any quote from me doing so. Not one person could provide a single example.

Heck, the only time I actually talk about Jones I say that I have serious doubts.
The conclusion is obvious.. if you find whining and moaning to be a useless waste of time, you're a "butch lover".

I believe some have no other idea of how to use social media other than just griping about everything.

Reactions: 9 people
Long suffering is an appropriate name for us and not you. How long will we have to endure your constant complaining about CBJ?

You compare him to Fulmer. The same Fulmer who politiced for Majors job when Majors was sick. The same Fulmer who was handed the keys to one of the top 3 SEC programs at the time that was loaded with talent yet in his first four years had not won an SEC championship or Eastern division title.

CBJ has not yet brought a championship to UT, but he has changed the culture, recruited well, made staff changes, and given himself and the team a chance to become champions of the SEC.

Reactions: 25 people
Goes to show how crazy its been getting. On the one hand here is a coach that is paid millions, so we think we should be getting so much more bang for the buck. Then on the other hand you have to realize that there are six other sec coaches being paid more than CBJ. So if you go by the "you get what you pay for" rule of thumb, then realistically we should be the seventh best team in the sec.

That's why I try to take a step back from all out fanaticism and hang on for the ride. Then maybe when the time comes to make changes they will make the change. But for now we have a season approaching and I'll save my emotions for game time for sanity's sake. Emotions don't give us our best thinking anyway.

Reactions: 15 people
Long suffering is an appropriate name for us and not you. How long will we have to endure your constant complaining about CBJ?

You compare him to Fulmer. The same Fulmer who politiced for Majors job when Majors was sick. The same Fulmer who was handed the keys to one of the top 3 SEC programs at the time that was loaded with talent yet in his first four years had not won an SEC championship or Eastern division title.

CBJ has not yet brought a championship to UT, but he has changed the culture, recruited well, made staff changes, and given himself and the team a chance to become champions of the SEC.

I find it humorous how some throw rocks at the last coach to ever win anything here, only to go on raving about a guy that hasn't hit that same guys low end of success. If you want to prop Jones for what he has done, fine. Knock yourself out. Until he wins something of note slamming Fulmer looks pretty silly. Stick with Dooley, you have something there.

Reactions: 5 people
Or maybe they just realize this isn't fantasy football and the future isn't decided by your b*******.

I've seen constant whining on here and it hasn't had any consequences except being annoying to those of us that try to enjoy discussing football. Absolutely no other results. It doesn't help your cause whatsoever.

Just something to think about.

This sums it up for me. It is the hijacking every thread on here, on other social media outlets with the constant same old same old.

I was upset right after Vandy - but to be complaining 6 months later serves no purpose what so ever except to irritate other fans.

Reactions: 14 people
I find it humorous how some throw rocks at the last coach to ever win anything here, only to go on raving about a guy that hasn't hit that same guys low end of success. If you want to prop Jones for what he has done, fine. Knock yourself out. Until he wins something of note slamming Fulmer looks pretty silly. Stick with Dooley, you have something there.

I am not slamming CPF. But Vol fans were having doubts after his first 4 years. The OP brought CPF into the conversation and made the comparison. I am just stating the facts. CPF was handed a loaded team in a weak SEC. CBJ was handed a train wreck in a conference with several strong programs.

CPF broke through and won the East in his fifth year. If VN and the internet existed then many on here would have had him on the hot seat going into his 5th year.

Last edited:
Reactions: 10 people
Last season was the only disappointing season since Butch has been here and in all honesty it was two games that took a great season and made it a good season. I think you started this thread to start another nega vs pumper thread. It is your right just like D4H can say this is an 11 win season coming up. Tennessee has NEVER consistently been a national championship contender. I hope we will be under CBJ but I would never expect it to happen more than once or twice in my lifetime. Atlanta is obtainable.

This person speaks truth! We lost two games we should have won, didn't play up to our potential in a few more, and played better than expected in a few others. So is the life of college football. Bottom line, this program is head and shoulders better than it was five years ago, nobody can argue that fact. Coach Jones has made some major changes on the coaching staff because he wants this program to go to the next level.

Negavol Vols going to whine, it's what they do. In the meantime Coach Jones has my support until he PROVES otherwise!

Just enjoy the ride uphill and down, being miserable and thinking negatively helps no one especially you.
There were a couple heartbreaks last year but it's nice to be competitive and have legitimate hope again

Reactions: 3 people
You know 3 straight bowl games and 3 wins. Back in the top 25 consistently excellent recruiting classes. I'm good. Compared to where we were when Butch took over. I think we're on the way back.

Reactions: 4 people
People who get paid millions to get results should always be under scrutiny. Especially if they regularly fail to meet expectations.

I fail to see how Butch's salary is relevant to our expectations. Would you honestly be ok with 7 wins if our HC was making 750K a year?

Reactions: 3 people
I fail to see how Butch's salary is relevant to our expectations. Would you honestly be ok with 7 wins if our HC was making 750K a year?

Yep. Butch's salary doesn't really bother anyone. He is middle of the pack in the SEC by the way. That's just used as another means of attacking him by people who are disappointed with wins and losses.

Reactions: 2 people

VN Store

Back