Are there really 51 Power 5 coaches better than Butch?

BigOrangeMojo

The Member in Miss December
http://www.cbssports.com/college-fo...ach-rankings-power-five-coaches-ranked-65-26/

52 Volunteers

Butch Jones (33 2016 ranking): A Champion of Life, but not a champion of our rankings. Still, in my opinion, this is a pretty steep drop considering all the injuries Tennessee dealt with last year. Raised expectations will do that, though.

I'm not the biggest Butch cheerleader but it's crazy that he's behind a guy such as Ed Orgeron.

Let me know if you think this ranking is too high, too low, or just right. Without seeing the Top 25, I'd have Butch in the 25-35 range for Power 5 coaches.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
A year ago, I would've said no way....thought he was definitely one of the top 20 or 25 coaches in college ball.

Then Vandy and South Carolina happened. Heaping those on top of a few questionable in-game decisions that came before, and a bit of public relations foot-in-mouth disease, and now...just not sure.

This season should tell the tale, one way or the other.

Reactions: 20 people
Coaches who should be behind BJ.

Orgeron
Brohm
Clawson
Bielema (while he did more at Wisconsin that BJ did, hes been worse in the SEC)
Taggart (lets see what he can do at a major program first)

Reactions: 4 people

Orgeron
Brohm
Clawson

Everyone on that list but Orgeron is better than Jones.

Reactions: 17 people

Orgeron
Brohm
Clawson

Bielema has been to 3 Rose Bowls. Butch's peak has been the Outback

Reactions: 8 people
Witch Doctor say read the bio of guy who wrote this...geez some guy who lives in Chicago and writes about his dog trying to kill him? Witch Doctor say Vol fans need to suck it up buttercups. Witch Doctor wonder why some fat guy that lives in Chicago hurts our feelings?.......some Vol fans just wanna whine.

BNL

Last edited:
Reactions: 40 people
I wouldn't have him that low.

But as another alluded to, 2017 ..... the proof will be in the pudding.

No more excuses version 3.0

Reactions: 1 person
Witch Doctor say read the bio of guy who wrote this...geez some guy who lives in Chicago and writes about his dog trying to kill him? Witch Doctor say Vol fans need to suck it up buttercups. Witch Doctor say everyone hurts our feelings.......and some Vol fans just wanna whine.

BNL

When a Big 10 guy does the list, you get results like this..

Butch Jones is 3-0 against the Big 10 West while at UT yet he is ranked behind every Big 10 West coach on the list except for Lovie Smith. He is way behind 3 guys that got blown the F out by UT.

Reactions: 22 people
When a Big 10 guy does the list, you get results like this..

Butch Jones is 3-0 against the Big 10 West while at UT yet he is ranked behind every Big 10 West coach on the list except for Lovie Smith. He is way behind 3 guys that got blown the F out by UT.

Yeah, but Butch is o'fer against Muschamp, and Muschamp should still be behind Butch.

Reactions: 2 people
Easy to figure lists like these out. Should any of the coaches ahead of him be behind him?

I count:

Babers
Addazio
Mora
Orgeron (he is going to wildly swing up and down a list depending on what happens next year)
Clawson

Don't think he belongs ahead of anyone else that is ahead of him, so he should be about 5 spots higher, IMO. Very slightly underrated by this list.

The single most overrated coach in this list is Sumlin. IMO, he might be the most overrated coach in all of college football.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people
promo285985965.jpg
-----> ranks below Stephen Smith and Jim Rome

Reactions: 3 people
I like everything CBJ brings to the table except game management, and X's and O's. With that being said, that's the most important part of his job.I think 52 is about right. Recruiting, morale, energy, willing to change assistants, fire on the sidelines, all pluses, but he has to win the east when it is this far down. Period. No more excuses. Coach them up or in my opinion it's time to look further. For goodness sake Florida won the east without a QB the last two years and ours was just drafted. Time to put up or shut up.

Reactions: 4 people

Orgeron
Brohm
Clawson

So what does it say about CBJ to lose to a lesser coach at home with a 2 touchdown lead?

Reactions: 7 people
There are 65 Power 5 schools. There are ONLY 12 that have won 9+ games the last two years (Clemson, FSU, Utah, UF, Tennessee, Ohio St, Michigan, WI, Bama, Oklahoma, Ok State, Stanford). I'm not saying this stat should completely overshadow the Game/Program/PR management issues that have been well documented but it should prove that 52 is too low.

Reactions: 11 people

VN Store

Back