Number 4 QB

ALLVOL 4LIFE

Long Time Listener 1st Time Caller
Nathan Peterman is #4 on Mel Kiper's board. Is this definite proof that our coaching staff absolutely needed a QB coach? Has this been our hold up?

Reactions: 2 people
Nathan Peterman is #4 on Mel Kiper's board. Is this definite proof that our coaching staff absolutely needed a QB coach? Has this been our hold up?
It is proof that Peterman did not get a chance to get his feet wet, and get comfortable with the speed of the game before he was thrown to the wolves.

Reactions: 30 people

Perhaps the problem is that you think Mel Kiper knows what he's talking about.

Jamarcus Russell
Jimmy Clausen
Ryan Leaf

Mel liked them a lot too.

Reactions: 36 people
I am a believer in having a full time QB coach. With that being said, I find a lot of parallels between Peterman and Crompton. In all the time that they were here we all heard from coaching staff and observers that they were good QBs. With Crompton being coached by Cutcliffe, Clawson then finally by Kiffin, it took until the GA game until the lights come on, then the transformation was immediate. The staff always had confidence in Peterman. when Worely was injured, it was Peterman that got first dibs against Bama. When Peterman was playing FL one of the things that blew up in his face was that he didn't tell any one he was injured for fear he would lose his opportunity. Thats the way he took it. We've got to give these guys more credit for being the competitors that they are.

The only way to really get the speed of the game is in the game. No one can tell how a QB will respond to his first big game experience and practice will never tell you that. In 13 and 14 both times Dobbs was "thrown to the wolves" was against Alabama.

Reactions: 6 people
So much for Bray as the backup in KC. The Chiefs gave up their 1st next year to get Mahomes. It's a reach, but management and coaches will want to give him every chance to show that they weren't stupid to pick him.

Reactions: 2 people
Peterman had chances and was deer in headlights in Knoxville. He held the ball FOREVER with us. Maybe the system didn't fit him or maybe he was not ready. Dobbs was the perfect QB for Tennessee at the point he took over. Dobbs turned our program back in the right direction and Peterman could have never done that and especially not with our OL issues.

Reactions: 9 people
As tight as the QB market is, Bray may get his chance somewhere else.

Next 2-3 years most of the pro-bowl QBs will retire (Rothlisberger, Brees, Rivers, E. Manning, perhaps Brady, maybe even Rodgers plus mid-tier and below like Palmer, Alex Smith, Cutler, Fitz, Bradford. Plus those that aren't making it such as RGIII, maybe Bortles, Osweiller, maybe Dalton and of course krapperlips from frisco.

Reactions: 1 person
It is proof that Peterman did not get a chance to get his feet wet, and get comfortable with the speed of the game before he was thrown to the wolves.

...and, SEC wolves, by the way, and...no, he wasn't ready...glad to see him get it together at another place...:rock::rock::clapping::yes:

GBO!

Nathan Peterman wasn't going to beat Dobbs out for the QB position even if Manning was our QB coach.

I agree. And I don't think it would have been close.

Mobility matters a lot more in college, and Dobbs can flat out run the football. He also is a better passer than many give him credit for.

I also would put my money on Dobbs in the NFL before Peterman.

I honestly don't get the hype for Peterman. A classic game manager QB if I ever saw one. Whereas Dobbs had it all on his shoulders at UT.

Reactions: 5 people
Think about the QBs we had on campus at one time: Peterman, Worley, Dobbs and Riley Ferguson. Someone's done a good job of evaluation/recruiting.

Reactions: 14 people
I agree. And I don't think it would have been close.

Mobility matters a lot more in college, and Dobbs can flat out run the football. He also is a better passer than many give him credit for.

I also would put my money on Dobbs in the NFL before Peterman.

I honestly don't get the hype for Peterman. A classic game manager QB if I ever saw one. Whereas Dobbs had it all on his shoulders at UT.

I can see the hype, last year he played very well and won against top competition.

Looking at him from when he left to last year I have to give him props. He has put in hard work. With that said, he would have never started here if he stayed even if Dobbs had got injured.

In 2014 we needed a QB who could run and (more importantly) escape pressure in the pocket to make up for that all time bad OL.

Maybe in an alternate reality where the 2014 team had a great OL Peterman takes the job and runs with it. Who knows.

Perhaps the problem is that you think Mel Kiper knows what he's talking about.

Jamarcus Russell
Jimmy Clausen
Ryan Leaf

Mel liked them a lot too.

When did I say I thought anything about Mel Kiper? The problem may be you thinking you know what I think. It's just a discussion, don't want to be part of it, we all will be better off.

Nathan Peterman wasn't going to beat Dobbs out for the QB position even if Manning was our QB coach.

I don't doubt that in the least. Just getting thoughts on no QB coach, because we about to find out this year if it is a factor. For all the good Dobbs did, he could have still stood to been more fine tuned.

VN Store

Back