Former walk-on Charles Folger reflects on football career

kamoshika

Four years ago, Charles Folger was a walk-on trying to prove himself at UT's Orange and White Game. Saturday, he sat above the Tennessee Terrace, taking in his first spring game as a Vol For Life. The defensive lineman found himself missing the Circle of Life drill Team 121 was doing on the field..."I don't think it's truly hit in yet," Folger said. "But watching your best friends on the field play without you kind of gets you going a little bit."

The Augusta, Georgia native didn't grow up with Tennessee orange in his veins, but had a thin connection to it. His great uncle served as a student manager for the football team in the 1970's. Folger fell in love with the university after his first visit. When he and his father drove up a second time, Folger woke up in the family's Jeep Liberty as they were coming out of the mountains. When they rode into UT and saw Neyland and Thompson-Boling Arena from a distance, that's when he knew for sure he would be a Vol.

http://www.wbir.com/sports/college/vols/football/former-walk-on-folger-reflects-on-football-career/433447640

Reactions: 11 people
To potential walk-ons:

If you are good at snapping a football, my advise to you young man is try to walk-on as the long snapper.

The defense can't hit you when the ball snaps, and Big-Time football girl action is at least 2 levels above what you're used to.

That is all. :good!:

Reactions: 5 people
Takes major cahonies to walk on to a major program in a different state!

It takes major cajones to walk on to a major program in a different state and to remain there longer than a week after the actual hitting begins.

Reactions: 2 people
To potential walk-ons:

If you are good at snapping a football, my advise to you young man is try to walk-on as the long snapper.

The defense can't hit you when the ball snaps, and Big-Time football girl action is at least 2 levels above what you're used to.

preach on my man

Reactions: 1 person
To potential walk-ons:

Here's the hard part:
You have to run 16 /110 yard sprints in 30 seconds with 30 seconds to rest between each run just to make the team as a walk on.
And you have to line up against starters in practice and knock heads especially in summer practice.
I knew Mark Ingram in the mid 90's. Great guy and excellent long snapper. It is doable and it's a great gig if you can handle the pressure.

VN Store

Back