Transfer Discussion

mitzustu

I don't think it will make sense for JG to transfer if Dormady wins the job.

Think of this scenario. It appears as if the coaches will play him some early in the season. It's a great long term plan as a coaching staff because it, in my opinion, locks him in here.

If he did not transfer his path would look like this:

2017: FR-backup to Dormady
2018: SO- backup to Dormady
2019 & 2020 Starter

If he transferred after not winning the job:

2017: backup to Dormady
2018: sits a year due to transfer rule
2019 &2020: starts

It's the same outcome unless he moves down a division.

Reactions: 3 people
JG may be the starter by Game #2. Injuries you know. Threads of his POSSIBLE transfer seem a bit odd.

Are you trying to intentionally just tie yourself in knots?

Do you worry about nuclear proliferation just as hard? How about asteroids? Or bedbugs?

Reactions: 2 people
Haha I don't lose any sleep over it. I don't think he'll be the starter. The offseason is long and I get on th board to discuss Tennessee football. It also seemed relevant after Dormady is being hyped (perhaps overly) after the spring game.

If it's poor conversation the mods are plenty free to delete.

Reactions: 1 person
JG wont be the starter until QD graduates.. but he redshirted.. he has 2 years to start for us when QD is gone.. it would be dumb for him to transfer

Haha I don't lose any sleep over it. I don't think he'll be the starter. The offseason is long and I get on th board to discuss Tennessee football. It also seemed relevant after Dormady is being hyped (perhaps overly) after the spring game.

If it's poor conversation the mods are plenty free to delete.

I do agree Dormady is being over-hyped right now. He does not look like a winning SEC QB at all to me. See more potential in JG but as a RS freshman, he has no reps.

If we had a decent OL, I would start JG. But with our OL of the past few years, starting Dormady is probably the right move today.

Think of this scenario. It appears as if the coaches will play him some early in the season. It's a great long term plan as a coaching staff because it, in my opinion, locks him in here.

2019 & 2020 Starter

If he left, wouldn't it be this?:

2017: sits a year due to transfer rule
2018: starts
2019: starts
2020: starts or goes to the draft

If he left, wouldn't it be this?:

2017: sits a year due to transfer rule
2018: starts
2019: starts
2020: starts or goes to the draft

Thats also assuming he won the starting position wherever he transferred to. If he stays here he is almost assured a starting spot for two years, maybe more depending on how things play out. If he transfers there is no guarantees for him.

2019 & 2020 Starter

Did you consider scenario where by 1st game of the season he is not a starter, he can leave the program and sit-out somewhere else. This will enable him to be starter in 2018. A lot of QBs will demand that.
I would be surprised if Dormady stayed incase he is not clear number one. He can red-shirt somewhere else and still play two more years rather than play a game or two here and then pave way to Gurantano. If coaches do not have a clear communication with them, we might end of losing 2 or more guys like TAMU did last year.

(I don't know what loophole the Alabama transfer QB used last year but he transferred after 4 games and still will be able to play this coming year).

Last edited:
This is the downside of recruiting good players. They can't all play, and very few of them are willing to wait to do so. And really, who can blame them?

Did you consider scenario where by 1st game of the season he is not a starter, he can leave the program and sit-out somewhere else. This will enable him to be starter in 2018. A lot of QBs will demand that.
I would be surprised if Dormady stayed incase he is not clear number one. He can red-shirt somewhere else and still play two more years rather than play a game or two here and then pave way to Gurantano. If coaches do not have a clear communication with them, we might end of losing 2 or more guys like TAMU did last year.

(I don't know what loop hole the Alabama transfer QB used last year but he transferred after 4 games and still will be able to play this coming year).

The Alabama kid has to sit 4 games this year as well and wil be eligible, he just has to sit a full year not a full season. If I am not mistaken.

The Alabama kid has to sit 4 games this year as well and wil be eligible, he just has to sit a full year not a full season. If I am not mistaken.

Yeah, I believe the rule is that the transfer has to sit out the equivalent of a full season. In Barnett's case, he sat out 8 games last year, and thus he has to sit out the first 4 this year in order to have sat a combined 12 games.

(I don't know what loop hole the Alabama transfer QB used last year but he transferred after 4 games and still will be able to play this coming year).

Yes that's why I think the coaches play him in the first couple of games.

2019 & 2020 Starter

I think he should stay, even if he were to not be the starter UNLESS bUTch lied to him. If he was lied to, then he should transfer. Can't play for a coach I can't trust!!!!!!!!!!
Even if he were to not win the job (1) An injury to Dormady could get J.G. inserted as the starter for a few games and he could do well and win the job. (2) Who says that Dormady will continue to play well enough to keep his job? (3) Should he transfer, who says he will be able to win the job at the new school? He may go there an sit out a year and then the school over recruit at q.b. and he not win that job either.....

(I don't know what loophole the Alabama transfer QB used last year but he transferred after 4 games and still will be able to play this coming year).

Dormady has already red-shirted, right??? Wasn't he behind Dobbs & Peterman for a year???

I do agree Dormady is being over-hyped right now. He does not look like a winning SEC QB at all to me. See more potential in JG but as a RS freshman, he has no reps.

If we had a decent OL, I would start JG. But with our OL of the past few years, starting Dormady is probably the right move today.

If you had been keeping up, our OL is the strength of the offense this year. Probably the single best unit on either side of the ball. Please check your facts.

Last edited:

How can you say that our future Heisman Trophy and National Championship winning QB is over-hyped right now?

2019 & 2020 Starter

Some guys will transfer when they don't start. That's just a reality. But in good programs, it is completely normal for top shelf QB's to develop as back ups before starting for a couple of years.

What if Dormady starts this year and has such a good of a year and declares for the NFL draft ...

Then the team as a whole will benefit. I hope he has an All American type of year. And should he accomplish that and stays his senior year, we will be crazy good!:)

VN Store

Back