Could be '98 again

IknoxvolsI

For all the pumpers who are not being realistic, I thought we could use a post like this since everyone seems to be relating the up coming season to the '98 season in all these other threads. Yes, we lost talent after last years season. Yes, in '98 graduation and draft took it's toll. Yes, everyone expected a NC in '97. Yes, everyone expected alot of success last year. No, outsiders were not expecting much for the '98 season (neither were many of us). Outsiders are not expecting much this year. But, because we did it in '98, we're gonna do it this year!

Realistic fans know this season is in no way, shape or fashion like the '98 team! Not to hamper the pumpers but it's not!

P.S., fwiw, tbh, FOW I'm not a Nega!

Reactions: 5 people
The 98 team was more talented than every team in the SEC, with the possible exception of Florida. It is hard to argue the same with this team relative to the rest of the SEC. Which means you believe that Butch Jones has the ability to coach and develop players better than several rivals. Anything is possible, but...

Coming into the 1998 season, Tennessee was the defending SEC champion and lost a total of 3 conference games in the previous 3 seasons combined.

Coming into the 2017 season, Tennessee is the defending Music City Bowl champion, hasn't played for the SEC title in 10 years, hasn't won the SEC in almost 20 years, and lost 4 conference games in 2016 alone. 2015 is the only season since Tennessee played for the SEC title in 2007, that Tennessee lost less than 4 conference games in that season.

For sake of argument, Tennessee could go out and go 15-0 next season. But if they do, the set up to 2017 looks nothing like 1998.

Last edited:
Reactions: 18 people
Could be like the 2008 team!!!!!!!! Poor coaching & injuries in key areas would mean we would win only 5 games like we did in 2008.
My point is that we can't predict these things. There are too many variables that could happen along the season.
Daniels gets hurt and out for the season. Kelly gets hurt and is out for the season. Kongo is hurt and out for the season. Kirkland is hurt and out for the season.
bUTch coaches this season the way he coached in the South Carolina game and we lose several games.
I personally think we will lose to L.S.U., Florida & Alabama and that is it..... Ya never know though.
We could get a few lucky breaks and beat one of those three or we could get some bad luck and lose to a 4th team....

Coming into the 1998 season, Tennessee was the defending SEC champion and lost a total of 3 conference games in the previous 3 seasons combined.

Coming into the 2017 season, Tennessee is the defending Music City Bowl champion, hasn't played for the SEC title in 10 years, hasn't won the SEC in almost 20 years, and lost 4 conference games in 2016 alone. 2015 is the only season since Tennessee played for the SEC title in 2007, that Tennessee lost less than 4 conference games in that season.

For sake of argument, Tennessee could go out and go 15-0 next season. But if they do, the set up to 2017 looks nothing like 1998.

But, last year the Duck pulled the truck, and the Vols beat the Gators after spotting them a 17 point lead.

I'm not saying the Vols will win the East this year, but it's possible.

Reactions: 2 people
Which means you believe that Butch Jones has the ability to coach and develop players better than several rivals.

You know what, you just might be on to something here !!

And if VN would start Believing this and speaking this, it just might actually be true !

And if the QB / QD can get his dang OL to block for an extra second or 2, this whole thing just might work out !

It's 2017 and it's time for THESE boys to put in a full 60 minutes.

1998 or 2009?

I have to vote 2008 unfortunately. Too many holes and too many changes in Butch's staff. Instead of a Fiesta Bowl, I see a Taxslayer Bowl or worse.

For all the pumpers who are not being realistic, I thought we could use a post like this since everyone seems to be relating the up coming season to the '98 season in all these other threads. Yes, we lost talent after last years season. Yes, in '98 graduation and draft took it's toll. Yes, everyone expected a NC in '97. Yes, everyone expected alot of success last year. No, outsiders were not expecting much for the '98 season (neither were many of us). Outsiders are not expecting much this year. But, because we did it in '98, we're gonna do it this year!

Realistic fans know this season is in no way, shape or fashion like the '98 team! Not to hamper the pumpers but it's not!

P.S., fwiw, tbh, FOW I'm not a Nega!

I don't consider myself a Nega but the 98 team had the following:

A NFL QB
A NFL FB
Multiple NFL RBs
Multiple NFL WRs
Multiple NFL OL
Multiple NFL DL
Multiple NFL LBs
Multiple NFL CBs/S
Hall of Fame coach

Butch has recruited better than the prior regime but there's nowhere near the amount of NFL talent on this team when compared to 98.

I do see a scenario where the team takes the next step (like the 98 team) such as 10 or 11 wins and winning the East; but a Natty isn't in the cards this year.

Last edited:
OP, QD will have to play out of his mind and J. Kelly will have to put up Travis Stephens or Travis Henry like stats to even come close to replicating 98. Not to mention, the defense as a whole was so poor in 2016, I could of swore Sal Sunseri was coaching them instead of Bob Shoop. In reality, the 2017 squad has a max potential of 9 reg season wins IMO. 7-8 wins is more probable though.

Reactions: 1 person

:thumbsup:

agreed.

OP, QD will have to play out of his mind and J. Kelly will have to put up Travis Stephens or Travis Henry like stats to even come close to replicating 98. Not to mention, the defense as a whole was so poor in 2016, I could of swore Sal Sunseri was coaching them instead of Bob Shoop. In reality, the 2017 squad has a max potential of 9 reg season wins IMO. 7-8 wins is more probable though.

agreed. while i think it will be better in 17, i don't know that it's going to improve enough to warrant anything close to what the late 90's offered in regards to post season success.

if the defense goes from a 2 to a 10, then we'll talk.

i'm thinking more of a 2 to a 6 is more likely.

i think 9 regular season wins this season would be kinda outstanding for this season.

Will you stop making good points and go home?

Can we just sit out this season, then? No point in participating if we're not gonna be in the NC. We should take this season and just practice instead of playing actual games. That way, we'll be more prepared for the 2018 season.
Actually... Now that I'm thinking about it, we should only play the years that we're loaded with talent and only the games we're expected to win. We know we won't be disappointed. We can just go ahead and forfeit the games we're projected to lose.

Last edited:

But we do have Cade Mays verbally committed.

VN Store

Back