Sneaky good team

majorvol

I think were solid a foundation for a good team. OLine and D line should be the solid group of the team. If the back end of the the D can improve and LBs stay healthy. QBS,RB's and WRs and TE look pretty good. Love the TE's in the O&W game...GBO

Reactions: 7 people
I think so, too. I think we're missing two key pieces at this point: more quality running backs proving themselves behind John Kelly ... and for Bob Shoop to prove he's the genius the world believed him to be when he arrived in Knoxville a little over a year ago.

We get those two things sorted, and I think we could surprise some folks this year in the SEC. All the rest of the pieces seem to be there, even if some are still kind of wet behind the ears.

Reactions: 4 people
It may just be post-Spring Game/leading up to the season overoptimism, but I agree.

Our defense waaay underperformed last year-- if we had a pulse defensively, we could've gone 11-1. But that's last year.

We have the talent on DL, but I'm not sure about depth. OL should be improved with another year, Trey Smith, and only one OL coach instead of a three-headed monster.

Not worried about QB, WR, or RB at all tbh.

Definitely looking for progress with our secondary, and I'm excited to see what Daniel Bituli can do with extended minutes.

GBO

Reactions: 3 people
I myself think the RB position is very important unlike the new NFL. If we've got a solid backup behind Kelly or even a upgrade on the beast side would be nice.

Reactions: 1 person
I think so, too. I think we're missing two key pieces at this point: more quality running backs proving themselves behind John Kelly ... and for Bob Shoop to prove he's the genius the world believed him to be when he arrived in Knoxville a little over a year ago.

We get those two things sorted, and I think we could surprise some folks this year in the SEC. All the rest of the pieces seem to be there, even if some are still kind of wet behind the ears.

We disagreed last night, but I couldn't agree any more with you tonight.

I'm very, very quietly, and cautiously optimistic for the reason you laid out above.

Reactions: 4 people
It may just be post-Spring Game/leading up to the season overoptimism, but I agree.

Our defense waaay underperformed last year-- if we had a pulse defensively, we could've gone 11-1. But that's last year.

We have the talent on DL, but I'm not sure about depth. OL should be improved with another year, Trey Smith, and only one OL coach instead of a three-headed monster.

Not worried about QB, WR, or RB at all tbh.

Definitely looking for progress with our secondary, and I'm excited to see what Daniel Bituli can do with extended minutes.

GBO

IMHO, we need more depth at DL and LB.

Got to have some luck, got to avoid off field BS, Got to avoid injuries. Sounds basic but something Vols have not had in over 10 years, And Tenn is 4 DTackles and 2 LBs and 1 RB short imo

Dormady is a bright spot.

LBS look good.

But, WR worries me.

Still a few players playing out of position.

But our talent level is pretty good.

Should be a fun season!

GBO

If if if...problem is, we go through this every year. Yeah, they look good on paper and against each other, but problem is, Georgia, Florida, Alabama, etc, see the same stuff with their teams. And that's who we gotta go against.

Deal is, if we can step up at running back, receivers, defensive secondary, and hold the injuries to a minimum, we have a chance to pull a Florida from a couple years ago.

That's a lot to hope for, though.

Reactions: 6 people
Im not worried as long as we outscore each opponent over 60 minutes. Thats not going to happen so i'll go ahead and worry. I feel a 7-5 season coming on because i dont trust our secondary or linebackers. Wide recievers need to step up big time. I see losses to Alabama, LSU, Florida, Georgia Tech Ă nd either South Carolina, Georgia, or Vanderbilt. Or ee could be 5-7 and lose to all of them. Or maybe we beat them all but Bama. So 11-1. Whats to worry about.

Ok there. Drama wrapped up neatly in different shades of crap. This team next year is going to play like they think they can win every game. Why cant our fans believe that also. Well that Vandy loss didnt help none. But i believe in this team. Rain or shine.

Reactions: 3 people
Dormady is a bright spot.

LBS look good.

But, WR worries me.

Still a few players playing out of position.

But our talent level is pretty good.

Should be a fun season!

GBO

I am not worried at all about our WRs. We now have a couple of QBs who are accurate passers which will really help the WRs.

Key is TEAM. Sometimes the commitment that is made over 2-3 years of the players' bonding and forming tight knit relationships adds accountability and forges reliability. Having upper-classmen who have either waited for their turn or guys who have worked to get into rotation, sometimes pays great dividends just from pure effort, passion, and commitment to the program.

Guys play harder for each other, guys work at practice harder, they don't want to let the team down. Sometimes, this can cancel out the lack of top notch talent. Hopefully and wishfully, I hope this is the case for this year. These kids have bought in, stayed close as a group, don't get in trouble, and seem to have their heads on straight. Hopefully, as a team we see the results from them on the field.

Most of what I read online was "we suck" after the spring game, I have to fully disagree. Our receivers and te's were catching almost everything, you can't really judge the defense by a spring game, but there were multiple opportunities for sacks, and short gains. Not sure what that says about our o-line,though.

If Kelly is healthy all year he will be right there with LSU running back in yardage gained. The OL ability and QB ability to help keep Defense honest gives JK a big year and possibility of declaring. That is how much Coach G thinks of him.

Reactions: 2 people
This is the off season i have the least knowledge of what we will look like coming into the year. It could literally go either way imo.

Loads of talent all over the field but depth issues, unproven QB, Medley is Medley, all new staff.

Who knows?

This is the off season i have the least knowledge of what we will look like coming into the year. It could literally go either way imo.

Loads of talent all over the field but depth issues, unproven QB, Medley is Medley, all new staff.

Who knows?

to me, kinda feels like 2014/2015 all over again, on the whole. you think you might have something pretty good, but won't really know until they get out there with live bullets.

still thin in some areas, so injuries will have be kept up with....

in the end, i think this team will show flashes and make you think 'wow' sometimes, and then other times, i expect to see some growing pains that will make you scratch your head at times......more or less of either, will ultimately determine 121's fate.

Key is TEAM. Sometimes the commitment that is made over 2-3 years of the players' bonding and forming tight knit relationships adds accountability and forges reliability. Having upper-classmen who have either waited for their turn or guys who have worked to get into rotation, sometimes pays great dividends just from pure effort, passion, and commitment to the program.

Guys play harder for each other, guys work at practice harder, they don't want to let the team down. Sometimes, this can cancel out the lack of top notch talent. Hopefully and wishfully, I hope this is the case for this year. These kids have bought in, stayed close as a group, don't get in trouble, and seem to have their heads on straight. Hopefully, as a team we see the results from them on the field.

Maybe.. maybe not

to me, kinda feels like 2014/2015 all over again, on the whole. you think you might have something pretty good, but won't really know until they get out there with live bullets.

still thin in some areas, so injuries will have be kept up with....

in the end, i think this team will show flashes and make you think 'wow' sometimes, and then other times, i expect to see some growing pains that will make you scratch your head at times......more or less of either, will ultimately determine 121's fate.

totally agree, we are too young/inexperienced at certain positions and I think that will eventually rear its head at the worst times. If JK goes down we will be in for a long, long year. We are very young at running back and at QB the guys which get the ball in their hands 99% of the time on every play. We will have growing pains to work through for sure, hoping for 8-4.

Am I an idiot for not putting alot of stock in the performances from the o&w game? Serious question

Am I an idiot for not putting alot of stock in the performances from the o&w game? Serious question

no, you're not. it's a watered down scrimmage, no pun intended.

20 guys were not suited up, it was rain shortened, and it was pretty vanilla all the way around.

what you should take from it is that no one sucked. given the setting, the did what they were probably supposed to. they didn't give anyone any reason to freak out over a bad performance. they got some reps in in front of a crowd, and no one got hurt, badly anyways.

it was good, you can feel good about it. but i don't think you watch that and say "oh wow, we're gonna be..." fill in the blank.

Reactions: 2 people
I think were solid a foundation for a good team. OLine and D line should be the solid group of the team. If the back end of the the D can improve and LBs stay healthy. QBS,RB's and WRs and TE look pretty good. Love the TE's in the O&W game...GBO

Don't worry. By end of summer, media will have us dialed up from "sneaky good" to SEC E favorites.

VN Store

Back