Should Josh Dobbs forgo the NFL?

volfan2024

“Wanna play ball scarecrow “
The guy is so smart why get banged up. I'm sure he would make a good satisfying living using his brain as much as his brawn.Just Saying.

Reactions: 1 person
No way. Chance of a lifetime, dream for anyone who played college ball (and even some who never played beyond high school). Worth doing even if only for a few years. Plenty of time to build airplanes after hanging up the cleats. He should have his cake and eat it too, because he can.

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 people
This is about as dumb as saying Dobbs will be a perennial MVP. He's got a good skillset that should keep him in the league a few years and make some good money. Science will wait. Also, the way they protect QBs now, he doesn't risk the brain injury risk like QBs used to.

Reactions: 8 people
If he loves football, then no.

He will make significantly more $$$ playing football than he will being a rocket scientist (That's a discussion for another thread).

Even if he gets the Jim Sorgi role, he will make plenty of bank and not risk brain damage.

If he goes high enough for a good rookie contract and puts it away, his early retirement is paid for. If he excels and gets a second contract, he can now seed whatever enterprise he wants.
Life is a lot easier with financial independence.

Edit: He's not the only aerospace engineer out there. He's entering into a competitive field where he may be average or above average. In football, he's above average compared to the other guys going in the draft. Play football, go get your phd, then be a aerospace engineer. You can't really do it the other way around.

The guy is so smart why get banged up. I'm sure he would make a good satisfying living using his brain as much as his brawn.Just Saying.

Dear God no.

1. He's fulfilling a lifelong dream by playing in the NFL

2. He's gonna make crazy money the next 8-10 years if he can stick in the league and get a second contract and pension.

3. He can leave the NFL relatively if not completely healthy as a qb/backup qb and use all that $$$ as seed money for his future endeavors/funding his aeronautical engineering firm.

Absolutely zero chance is will it should forgo the NFL.

No. Josh is a good football player and has 10-15 years of playing years left. He can make close to 500000 a year just being a third string. Now compare that to Top Dawgs in research field. They make around 250-300K a year (based on salaries of Chancellor's professors at UT). Now Dobbs is smart for a football player and smart overall but he is not the only smart kid in engineering. Take football out of equation and there are 100s of Josh Dobbs walking around in UT campus, 100s more smarter than him. Dude is not a genius academically. He is a smart guy who is a very good football player. The fame is because of football. UT students published multiple papers in Nature and Science. Nobody knows about them. These are really genius people.
Combine all that with his love for football. He should be playing football.

Reactions: 2 people
Years ago the Titans had a Rhodes scholar, think he was from Florida State and he was in Neuro Science. Not sure if he played much at all and he is probably a neurosurgeon now but it was his dream to get to the NFL.

I personally think skipping the NFL would be a good choice. CTE is serious business and can ruin the rest of your life. Dobbs could make big $$$ working as an aerospace engineer. Why risk your mind and body for a short-term payday? I guess that's the "American way". I sure as heck wouldn't play football except as a last resort.

OP he can build rocket ships once he is finished with the NFL.

Bingo. He can practice engineering into his 60s (and potentially even later if he wants).

He can only play football into his 30s (most likely).

Why not have his cake and eat it too...by doing both? Football until he can't do it anymore, and then engineering.

As pointed out above, even backup QBs make multiple times what engineers make. And, QBs don't have the brain injury risks of other position groups. Seems like a no-brainer to me.

Dobbs doesn't have the mindset to forgo anything. Beast. Warrior. Highly competitive athlete. He'll continue to chase his dream if nothing more than to try and prove naysayers wrong.

Reactions: 3 people
Dobbs has as good of a chance as most others in his situation of making it in the NFL. There are countless superstars in the NFL that weren't supposed to be great. And, vice versa.....give it a try. The real world will be waiting later, and I'm pretty sure he'll do well there.

He is what Robin Williams referenced in the movie, "Good Will Hunting", "Boy Genius".

i personally think skipping the nfl would be a good choice. Cte is serious business and can ruin the rest of your life. Dobbs could make big $$$ working as an aerospace engineer. Why risk your mind and body for a short-term payday? I guess that's the "american way". I sure as heck wouldn't play football except as a last resort.

😆

I do think there should be some concern on his part regarding concussions and their effect on the brain. It's not something to be taken lightly.

😆

He had a difficult decision to make and it is HIS decision. With either decision, he will be making very good $$$ for a number of years. He is will have to live with hi decision and I am sure he has put a lot of thought into his decision. He has stated that his dream has been to play in the NFL. He has made his decision and I think he will be successful in both the NHL and His second job in designing space aircraft after the NFL.. I wish him the best of luck and success in both fields. He will do just fine with his decisions.

This is about as dumb as saying Dobbs will be a perennial MVP. He's got a good skillset that should keep him in the league a few years and make some good money. Science will wait. Also, the way they protect QBs now, he doesn't risk the brain injury risk like QBs used to.

Exactly.
Can only make so much money in your life.

Science will move forward and Dobbs will be a rich man buy the time he gives it his complete focus.

Everybody here's talking about money but the primary reason he's continuing to play football is because he can. Most of us who loved playing had to stop after high school, college for the fortunate few, but he's good enough to keep going. He loves to play, he has the opportunity to do so. The money's just icing. Reeeeally good icing, but icing.

VN Store

Back