USA Today Projects Dobbs...

OuterBanksVol

6. Nathan Peterman, Pittsburgh

Two-year starter for the Panthers after transferring from Tennessee, where he was benched in each of his two starts, the latter in favor of fellow draft prospect Joshua Dobbs. At Pitt, completed 61.1% of his passes for 5,142 yards and 47 touchdowns with 15 interceptions and was 14-10 as the starter. Best prospect from an under-center, pro-style offense in this class. Understands the concepts coming in. Game manager type. Stands 6-2, 226 with 9 7/8-inch hands. Above-average arm. Smart. Good decision-maker.

Projection: Second/third round.

7. Joshua Dobbs, Tennessee

Started 35 games for the Volunteers (23-12 record). Completed 61.5% of his passes for 7,138 yards and 53 touchdowns with 29 interceptions. Ran for another 2,160 yards and 32 TDs. True dual threat. Very good athlete at 6-3, 216. Was 23-12 as starter. Aerospace engineering major. Intelligence, character, leadership all top-notch. Steady presence. Decision-making needs to improve. Doesn’t always see the full field. Inconsistent and unpolished passer. Accuracy is just OK.

Projection: Third round.

Reactions: 6 people
Third round would be great for Josh, especially considering that he was considered a 6th or 7th round pick at season's end. Speaks to his work ethic and character imo. If he does go that high, which I'll admittedly be surprised to see, it will have been a job very well done by Josh with his workouts and interviews. I hope they're right and he does go that high, no way there's a better person and more deserving player in the draft.

Reactions: 4 people
Several months ago I was horse laughed for saying he'd be drafted......
Go get em Josh!!!!!!

Reactions: 2 people
This is heresy on Volnation!
Nate Peterman was maligned as a terrible QB, mentally incompetent, 'deer in the headlights'.

Reactions: 9 people
Nate Peterman was maligned as a terrible QB, mentally incompetent, 'deer in the headlights'.

He absolutely, 1000% was....at Tennessee.

Good on him for making the most of his second chance and change of scenery at Pitt. He's a great kid and I'm happy for him. Doesn't change the truth of what happened, what kind of quarterback he was at Tennessee vs SEC competition.

Reactions: 15 people
I'm stoked for both of those guys. I hope they go on to have long and successful NFL careers.

He still is. He will be a huge bust. He is getting love because he got lucky and the one good game of his career was against Clemson. That was literally his only 300 yard game in his career. He had 308 yards. Playing lackluster competition he had one 300 yard game ever.

He still is. He will be a huge bust. He is getting love because he got lucky and the one good game of his career was against Clemson. That was literally his only 300 yard game in his career. He had 308 yards. Playing lackluster competition he had one 300 yard game ever.

I agree with you and wonder how Peterman is getting this draft buzz. I watched Pitt play several times with him at QB, and I didn't see him as anything more than a game manager in any of them. I just don't see how that translates to success at the next level. but, we will see....

Dobbs might have his questions, but at least he was highly relied upon by Tenn to be successful on offense.

I agree with you and wonder how Peterman is getting this draft buzz. I watched Pitt play several times with him at QB, and I didn't see him as anything more than a game manager in any of them. I just don't see how that translates to success at the next level. but, we will see....

Dobbs might have his questions, but at least he was highly relied upon by Tenn to be successful on offense.

Its like the player who plays well in the NCAA tourney and gets picked in the NBA draft even when he shouldn't be. He had a good game while being the only qb to beat Clemson last year. He was average to below average in 90% of his games.

With all due respect to Josh Dobbs, this is at least as much an indictment of the quality of quarterback available to the NFL from today's college game as it is a tribute to his talent and determination.

There are so few out there these days that they are not drafted based on how they are rated. They get selected high simply because of the fear that they won't be there on the next pass. Assuming he is drafted as the 7th QB, going back to the 2010 draft, the average overall pick slot of the 7th QB is 130. That's typically mid fourth round.

Last edited:
Exactly! ^^^ QD looks much better this year with coach Canales being on staff. Dobbs could of been much better with a dedicated QB coach. IMO

Reactions: 3 people
Exactly! ^^^ QD looks much better this year with coach Canales being on staff. Dobbs could of been much better with a dedicated QB coach. IMO

On O&W video I saw, Canales looked very involved with the players -- looked great to me / hoping that translates to even more W's and cohesion for T-121.

After Josh becomes a superstar in the NFL, McShay is gonna look like a genius.

[Twitter]https://twitter.com/vandy_62/status/856511288977051649[/Twitter]

Reactions: 1 person

Think about it Riley is tearing it up at Memphis plus some think Dobbs might be a mid second round choice i didn't think Nate could start at a OVC school that shows you how bad the coaching was.:thud:

After Josh becomes a superstar in the NFL, McShay is gonna look like a genius.

[Twitter]https://twitter.com/vandy_62/status/856511288977051649[/Twitter]

He is smoking coaching what a shame with the lack of coaching he got here in 2 months with the right QB coach HE HAS WENT FROM A 6TH TO 7TH ROUNDER TO A second round choice and just might slide in the late first round.

Dobbs will be a career back up and leave the game a multi millionaire in 7-10 years.. which is nice

He's comfortable under center and played in a more NFL style offense.

Think about it Riley is tearing it up at Memphis plus some think Dobbs might be a mid second round choice i didn't think Nate could start at a OVC school that shows you how bad the coaching was.:thud:

Different level of competition for Pitt and Memphis. They could not beat out Dobbs to be a starting QB in the SEC so they bailed for other schools.

Stop trying to make it seem like a coaching issue. Dobbs won the QB position and has put forth stats in four years that rival the best QBs (sans Manning) ever to play at Tennessee.

Reactions: 5 people

VN Store

Back