2017 Spring Practice Award Winners

Spring 63 award (for great effort) goes to Marquez Callaway.

John Stucky award for weight room/conditioning goes to Quay Picou and Latrell Williams.

Andy Spiva award for most improved defensive player goes to Justin Martin.

Harvey Robinson Award for most improved offensive player of spring goes to Jakob Johnson.

Darrell Taylor wins Al Wilson teammate award, Peyton Manning teammate award goes to John Kelly.

- Rob Lewis, VolQuest

Reactions: 8 people
Spring 63 award (for great effort) goes to Marquez Callaway.

John Stucky award for weight room/conditioning goes to Quay Picou and Latrell Williams.

Harvey Robinson Award for most improved offensive player of spring goes to Jakob Johnson.

Darrell Taylor wins Al Wilson teammate award, Peyton Manning teammate award goes to John Kelly.

- Rob Lewis, VolQuest

Congrats men!!

I am a big Quay Picou fan!! Rumble young man rumble!! Expecting big things from him this year!!!

Reactions: 2 people
Would be nice to see Jakob Johnson have a breakthrough season. He's stuck with the program in spite of a position change and some setbacks. He looked pretty good in the spring game.

Would be nice to see Jakob Johnson have a breakthrough season. He's stuck with the program in spite of a position change and some setbacks. He looked pretty good in the spring game.

Yeah and we look set to spread the ball to some TE's, gotta be Larry Scott's doing.

He may break a long run or two for Kelly, he looks strong, quick and eager to hit.

Yeah and we look set to spread the ball to some TE's, gotta be Larry Scott's doing.

Good. I never understand why teams don't utilize them more. Very tough position to defend.

It killed me the last couple of years how rarely we used Wolf to catch passes, the guy is pretty much automatic. Quick-hit over the middle to the TE was one of those plays that always seemed to work, yet we would see it once every two games.

Good. I never understand why teams don't utilize them more. Very tough position to defend.

It killed me the last couple of years how rarely we used Wolf to catch passes, the guy is pretty much automatic. Quick-hit over the middle to the TE was one of those plays that always seemed to work, yet we would see it once every two games.

He dropped more than a few last year...

Reactions: 3 people
He dropped more than a few last year...

Not to mention he was softer than a pillow in the physical part of that position. He had a really poor 2016 season, the kind other coaches call a kid in and have a serious discussion about "don't see a future for you in football unless ...."

Reactions: 1 person
Participation trophies for EVERYONE!

Gone are the days when spring practice actually meant something. And players hit and tackled.

And some wonder why the attendance was way down.

I've followed UT football for a long time, but I have to ask. Who is Harvey Robinson?

Harvey Robinson played quarterback in 31-32 and replaced General Neyland as head coach when the latter had health issues. His two teams struggled a bit and he went to Florida as an assistant. He later returned as an assistant under Bowden Wyatt. Not sure why the award is named after him, however.

Last edited:
He did get some award. If I'm not wrong.

You're not wrong. Per Gridironnow.com:

"My All Award

In recognition to a non-scholarship athlete for their contribution and effort throughout spring practice

Thomas Edwards, Brandon Benedict, Chip Omer and Paul Bain"

I wouldn't say automatic. He had some issues with drops last year, and he even admitted as much himself. The first half of the UF game comes to mind, but he seems to have a renewed focus and should be a great security blanket for who starts at QB.

Dude..Martin has frustrated me so much over the last few years that I truly enjoyed watching him get this award.. but did anybody else remember martin was so swaggy?! I swear he was about to pull out a flava flav clock and chain when he walked out to the middle of the field.. idk how it happened but I think he one of my favs now.. I hope he goes off this year now that he has CCW in his corner. Im hoping for a big DB turn around next season

Last edited:

Dude..Martin has frustrated me so much over the last few years that I truly enjoyed watching him get this award.. but did anybody else know martin was so swaggy?! I swear he was about to pull out a flava flav clock and chain when he walked out to the middle of the field.. idk how it happened but I think he one of my favs now.. I hope he goes off this year now that he has CCW in his corner. Im hoping for a big DB turn around next season

He has always been like that. I always see him dancing or cutting up in practice and he has had the colored dreads since I can remember as well. Hope the production catches up with the talent for Mr. Martin.

He has always been like that. I always see him dancing or cutting up in practice and he has had the colored dreads since I can remember as well. Hope the production catches up with the talent for Mr. Martin.

yea hes had the dreads for a while which is why I originally first liked him but his play diminished his favoritism with me.. there were a few camera angles on sat where he was in the background just getting it!.. I guess in the recent times ive thought about him it was about his play on the field..( needing improvement) that I just forgot how cool he is.. I do hope he can eventually put it all together

looked like he def added some muscle and weight, looked pretty thick in the few snaps i saw him on the field for....

Reactions: 1 person
yea hes had the dreads for a while which is why I originally first liked him but his play diminished his favoritism with me.. there were a few camera angles on sat where he was in the background just getting it!.. I guess in the recent times ive thought about him it was about his play on the field..( needing improvement) that I just forgot how cool he is.. I do hope he can eventually put it all together

Yup, and he usually gets decent reviews in practice but this year Shoop keeps mentioning the urgency Martin is playing with, because of only one year remaining in his college career. Hopefully it translates to the field.

VN Store

Back