RIP Bill Anderson

I hate to hear that. He was a perfect compliment to the eloquence of John Ward. I loved his commentary and enthusiasm.

Reactions: 5 people
A life long member of the Vol family, he left many pleasant memories behind. Best wishes to the Anderson family. :angel:

Reactions: 4 people
Lord, we are mourning the loss of a dear friend to many here. Lord we do not always understand Your ways but we know You can comfort those in need. Please keep his family in Your heart in this sad time - Amen

Reactions: 8 people
RIP Bill Anderson and prayers for his family, it's a sad day for Vol fans that had the opportunity to hear John Ward and Bill Anderson call games...

John Ward and Bill Anderson are part of the reason I am so endeared to Tennessee football

Go Vols

RIP Bill...

He told this anecdote at a UT booster club meeting in 1996:

Prior to the 1986 Sugar Bowl, Frank Broyles (ABC color commentator at the time) asked Bill if there was any chance that Tennessee would be able to keep the game close vs Miami...Bill replied that we had a very good defense and a strong running game and he thought we could make it a very close game... After the game was over (and Tennessee had won 35-7) Bill went up to Frank Broyles and said, "I'm sorry Frank, I was wrong. Our defense was a little too good to keep it close."

Reactions: 15 people
For how many years did he do color on the broadcast? Decades, for sure. I'm surprised there is not a story about him on UTSports.com. There should be.

Reactions: 3 people
The National championship year of 1998 was bitter sweet for me, yes the Vols won the National Championship, but John Ward and Bill Anderson also called their last game:cray:

Reactions: 8 people
Oh the memories of listening to Bill Anderson and John Ward on Saturdays, man this is sad. RIP Mr. Anderson and prayers for our family.

Reactions: 2 people
This is actually hitting me pretty hard, as I did have the pleasure of meeting him a couple of times... All Vol fans should know how much he loved Tennessee. He didn't even care that John did all of the talking. LOL! In fact, that is what he preferred. He had no ego and just wanted to be a part of Tennessee football. A genuinely nice man in person as well.

Oh man, RIP. Many great memories listening to the games with my Dad and on the transistor radio while playing outside. John Ward and Bill Anderson were the greatest football tandem in broadcasting and you could not convince me otherwise.

Man what a downer..... I loved me some Bill Anderson..... he was a great compliment to John Ward. They were a great team and I still miss hearing them call the Vols games.

Ward and Anderson were HUGE parts of my young sports fan life..... RIP BA

Sad news. Ward and Bill were a great combo. My favorite call of his is on the soundboard "There it is..."

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
Sad day! My dad & I listened to John & Bill forever it seems like. He was priceless, as is John. Met Bill & his wife at the Hall Of Fame wall next to Neyland-Thompson before a game about 15 years ago & talked to them for a while. Got to tell him how much he meant to Tennessee Football
RIP

John and Bill are 2 of my favorite Vols and the best broadcasting team I've ever heard. I recorded their last broadcast together off live radio to cassettes that night in 98, it took 4 cassettes. Good times and good memories.
Prayers to his family.
GBO

RIP, Bill. Man those were the days. Bill and John were good friends to begin with. John asked Bill if he'd like to join him for his first broadcast and become a team. The duo is legend. For those not familiar with Bill Anderson's past prior to joining John Ward, it's historic. He always had good and funny stories to tell involving events throughout his career at UT and in the NFL. It is a sad in this world with the loss of Bill.

John Ward and Bill Anderson are the reason I have the passion for UT sports that I do. I spent my younger years delivering pizzas and listening to John and Bill on Saturdays. One of my favorites is a time when Bill was less than eloquent and John said "Bill Anderson I know not of what you speak, give him six touchdown Tennessee." My children who have only heard replays no exactly who these great men are. Bill I will forever remember your honest joy that I heard every Saturday of my youth. RIP the Lord received the best color analyst I ever heard.

VN Store

Back