John Brice(UT Reporter) Article On Vols Athletics & More

Good read....oh wait, I just remembered the rule on here. Articles with un-named sources can't be taken seriously. :)

Plus, I reached out to some NFL folks as well. Once again, the feedback was remarkable.

A person intricately involved in this year’s NFL Draft, who cannot speak on the record about players still in college, didn’t hold back Tennessee’s enviable situation.
:ermm::unsure::thud:

Reactions: 3 people
What does it say about S. Jones that despite the fact that he has been here longer than Guarantano he is mentioned as basically 3rd string? I have not seen anything to make me think he has a legitimate shot at winning starting job out of the gates, but I do not get to watch practice either. Just think it is odd that he nobody thinks he has a chance.

Last edited:
What does it say about S. Jones that despite the fact that he has been here longer than Guarantano? I have not seen anything to make me think he has a legitimate shot at winning starting job out of the gates, but I do not get to watch practice either. Just think it is odd that he nobody thinks he has a chance.

Because he has no chance?

He's got about the same chance that Burney Veazy and Jeremy Bates had to win the #1 QB spot on the hill.

It says he can be a backup and scout team player to help the defense get ready every week.

I like it! It all starts with a mentality that defenders must not be denied~Predator not the Prey...I love it!

Between Hoke and the Rock in the weight room, I don't expect to see much drop off if any...even with the loss of our prized DE trio.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
What does it say about S. Jones that despite the fact that he has been here longer than Guarantano he is mentioned as basically 3rd string? I have not seen anything to make me think he has a legitimate shot at winning starting job out of the gates, but I do not get to watch practice either. Just think it is odd that he nobody thinks he has a chance.

I think this is a bit of exaggeration. He may have less of a chance, but I believe he will get some opportunities to show he can make plays with arm and feet. I hope he makes the most of them.

Have u seen him throw?

Good read....oh wait, I just remembered the rule on here. Articles with un-named sources can't be taken seriously. :)

Plus, I reached out to some NFL folks as well. Once again, the feedback was remarkable.

A person intricately involved in this year’s NFL Draft, who cannot speak on the record about players still in college, didn’t hold back Tennessee’s enviable situation.

It's ok if it's gushing praise! Right?

Reactions: 2 people

But, in reality, when's the last time (Peyton/Stewart?) when we had a 2-3 potential stars at QB vying for the job?

Last edited:
Have u seen him throw?

In one of the spring practice clips it looked like he missed all or several throws they showed. I even criticized how well he was doing cone drill in that clip too. Again, based on what little I have seen, I would agree it is a two person race for starting QB. I just thought odd that it is not just us fans think this because we only see little, but even media who at least as a little more info to go off of (off record talk, watching practice etc) that do not list him as a contender for the job.

Woo hoo! We're gonna win the Natty just like OSU did that one year!

these QB situations are tricky--always is when you've got multiple talented QBs. Hell, we all felt sorry for Peterman after that florida game debacle; he transfers to Pitt, has two fine years and may be drafted ahead of Dobbs. We seem to have a pretty talented pro-style passer and a kid who is more in the Dobbs mold--mobile and can throw it. I'm speculating but if Dormady can throw it better than G this spring and fall, we might see him get the early nod, even if G holds more potential as a dual threat, and the coaches see how things unfold. The tricky part is that you can't force a pro-style guy into the read-option/called QB run system that we had with Dobbs. Maybe Dormady runs better than I think--don't know for sure--but we did that with Worley, who couldn't run, and never ran despite running the "read-option"--and it was kind of stupid. So I will be interested to see if the coaches modify the scheme or keep it the same.

these QB situations are tricky--always is when you've got multiple talented QBs. Hell, we all felt sorry for Peterman after that florida game debacle; he transfers to Pitt, has two fine years and may be drafted ahead of Dobbs. We seem to have a pretty talented pro-style passer and a kid who is more in the Dobbs mold--mobile and can throw it. I'm speculating but if Dormady can throw it better than G this spring and fall, we might see him get the early nod, even if G holds more potential as a dual threat, and the coaches see how things unfold. The tricky part is that you can't force a pro-style guy into the read-option/called QB run system that we had with Dobbs. Maybe Dormady runs better than I think--don't know for sure--but we did that with Worley, who couldn't run, and never ran despite running the "read-option"--and it was kind of stupid. So I will be interested to see if the coaches modify the scheme or keep it the same.

In keeping with what you say.
One of the "college talkers" in the article really emphasized modifying a system to a qb's abilities. He stated it almost like he was talking straight to Coach Jones. To me it points to Jones's seeming "hard headedness" If things work out as they have before, this does not bode well for Dormady.

Reading tea leaves...
bill-murray-drinks-coffee.gif

And to think what might have been had we used Peterman in a pro or even an I formation instead of having Dobbs run for his life! :good!:

Anybody see what I did there?:unsure:

And to think what might have been had we used Peterman in a pro or even an I formation instead of having Dobbs run for his life! :good!:

Anybody see what I did there?:unsure:

We never had the OLine to support that kind of Offense for Peterman. Personally still don't think Peterman is that great of a QB but we will see how he does in the Pros.

JMHO not knocking Peterman just am not convinced yet.

Reactions: 2 people
In keeping with what you say.
One of the "college talkers" in the article really emphasized modifying a system to a qb's abilities. He stated it almost like he was talking straight to Coach Jones. To me it points to Jones's seeming "hard headedness" If things work out as they have before, this does not bode well for Dormady.

No one will convince Jones that he doesn't adapt the system to his QB skill set. He will tell you everytime they do. No matter what any college talker says.

I've read all sorts of comments and opinions the last few years about pro style QBs and their run threats. Dobbs was exceptionally gifted as a runner during a broken play and subject to house one at any time. However, even if QD is not gifted as a runner at all, he often only has to go 3 or 4 yards on a passing down to get another set of chains. Worley could or would not even attempt it. QD has nothing in his history to think he cannot do that, I do not have the concerns many do about him in this area.

We never had the OLine to support that kind of Offense for Peterman. Personally still don't think Peterman is that great of a QB but we will see how he does in the Pros.

JMHO not knocking Peterman just am not convinced yet.

Something we can definitely agree on.

VN Store

Back