Freak's first Friday of spring practice, admittedly off topic thread

Freak

VolNation's Grand Poobah
Staff member
So, in an effort to make this spring feel as much like actual football season, I figured I'd start this thread.

What's everyone up to this weekend? Watching March Madness? I'm definitely planning on catching a couple of the games tonight and the rest of the weekend, for sure.

Being a fan of the underdog, it was nice to see a No. 11 (Xavier) seed advance last night.

Anyone watching the baseball Vols? They start a three-game series against Mississippi State tonight. After getting swept at home by South Carolina, our guys really need to bounce back this weekend. Vol66 does a great job posting about the games in the baseball forum, so I'll likely be following along there.

Anyone have any thoughts on the announcement of Tennessee's hire of Eric Lewis as defensive quality control assistant? Obviously, it's not a major position, but I like this trend with Butch of hiring guys with experience, and Lewis has been around. He has experience coaching the defensive backfield and he's been a defensive coordinator. Lewis was also a defensive QC guy for the Green Bay Packers.

As I mentioned in that thread, I like this trend with Butch of hiring experienced guys. It's really astounding to look at how many of the coaches on this current staff have been a coordinator, a head coach, and/or worked in the NFL. If Butch will work to his strengths as a program manager and utilize the abundance of experience on this staff, I think this could be a really solid group of coaches.

It's been a fairly quiet first couple of days of spring practice. We've gotten to see a little bit of both quarterbacks, and it seems to me like this is going to be more of a battle than some think.

I'm looking forward to seeing both Dormandy and Guarantano in the spring game; that should give us all something to debate tirelessly during the long summer months with no football.

On the defensive front, it's been good to see Tuttle, McKenzie and Alexis Johnson all out there on the field. We need those guys on the field this year.

So, chime in, post your thoughts on football, non-football, or let us know what exciting things you're getting into this weekend, so those of us with no plans can be envious.

Thanks for reading and Go Vols!

Reactions: 4 people
Sitting on muh butt watching Gunsmoke, listening to music, getting ready for NCAA tourney action. Roofers putting a new roof on makes napping impossible! My smallest dog barking at them non stop doesn't help. Think I'll make a trip to Lost and Found records tomorrow afternoon.

Sitting on muh butt watching Gunsmoke, listening to music, getting ready for NCAA tourney action. Roofers putting a new roof on makes napping impossible! My smallest dog barking at them non stop doesn't help. Think I'll make a trip to Lost and Found records tomorrow afternoon.

New roof? Just that time or storm damage?

If the pattern holds of Butch staying off the mic and not being as involved in practice, that tells me he is leaning on all of that experience he hired in his staff, which is a great thing. If you have the talent on staff, use it to the betterment of the team, same as the talent on the field.
Doesn't make anyone less of a coach, just a smarter one that uses his weapons wisely.

Great to see Khalil on the field, even for just non-contact work. We need him at his best.

The great quarterback debate will rage on all Spring and Summer. But a lot of people are dismissing QD outright. He doesn't have the speed of Joshua Dobbs, but the boy has some wheels with solid pocket skills. I'm not counting him out just yet.

Great to have football to talk about again!

I'm so excited to get away from world news and the crazy weather and focus on what really matter: Football time in Tennessee!:clapping:

I'm only joking about it being all that matters. Just seeing the title of this thread made me smile:p

1000th post :fireworks:

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
Just got back from the driving range. Trying out the new irons, gonna stay in and watch some basketball the rest of the night.

If the pattern holds of Butch staying off the mic and not being as involved in practice, that tells me he is leaning on all of that experience he hired in his staff, which is a great thing. If you have the talent on staff, use it to the betterment of the team, same as the talent on the field.
Doesn't make anyone less of a coach, just a smarter one that uses his weapons wisely.

Great to see Khalil on the field, even for just non-contact work. We need him at his best.

The great quarterback debate will rage on all Spring and Summer. But a lot of people are dismissing QD outright. He doesn't have the speed of Joshua Dobbs, but the boy has some wheels with solid pocket skills. I'm not counting him out just yet.

Great to have football to talk about again!

I'm with you. I think Dormady is a better quarterback than many people want to give him credit for.

Nobody thought much of Nathan Peterman when he was here, and he turned out to be a pretty good quarterback. :)

I'm so excited to get away from world news and the crazy weather and focus on what really matter: Football time in Tennessee!:clapping:

I'm only joking about it being all that matters. Just seeing the title of this thread made me smile:p

Don't kid yourself, jonnon. Football matters!

Thanks for posting in the thread.

Just got back from the driving range. Trying out the new irons, gonna stay in and watch some basketball the rest of the night.

How did you hit the new irons? What kind did you get?

I'm actually excited about warm weather and longer days so I can dust of my clubs.

How did you hit the new irons? What kind did you get?

I'm actually excited about warm weather and longer days so I can dust of my clubs.
Did well with them. First set of fitted irons and it's surprising the difference it makes. Got the Mizuno JPX900 Hot Metal. Also got the Ping G driver but still waiting on it to be delivered to the shop.

Reactions: 1 person
Did well with them. First set of fitted irons and it's surprising the difference it makes. Got the Mizuno JPX900 Hot Metal. Also got the Ping G driver but still waiting on it to be delivered to the shop.

Very nice! Do you live in Tennessee? Where did you get fitted?

just got back from being fitted for a new set of Ping G30 irons and hybrids. Heading for the course to try out the Ping G30 driver and 3 wood tomorrow with a set of demo irons. Tried the Titleist driver last weekend....that baby is so so sweet.

4 day weekend. Spent the day shopping with the wife.

My conversion to the Titans continued today as I got a Mariota jersey

I'm packing. Heading to Gatlinburg with the family. I'll be staying at the crowne tomorrow night. What's the best beer I can get ahold of around there if I drink hopped up tongue shriveling fire water?

just got back from being fitted for a new set of Ping G30 irons and hybrids. Heading for the course to try out the Ping G30 driver and 3 wood tomorrow with a set of demo irons. Tried the Titleist driver last weekend....that baby is so so sweet.

My friend plays the G30 driver. The sound of that thing is awesome!

I'm packing. Heading to Gatlinburg with the family. I'll be staying at the crowne tomorrow night. What's the best beer I can get ahold of around there if I drink hopped up tongue shriveling fire water?
What are you guys doing in Gatlinburg? Shopping?

Yeah I do. Bristol Golf Club & Fitting. If you're ever up in the tri cities it's a great place.
Gotcha. Thanks. :hi:

What are you guys doing in Gatlinburg? Shopping?

Gotcha. Thanks. :hi:

My kid has spring break and my wife wanted to get out of town with the nice weather. I asked my kid where she wanted to go and she said Gatlinburg. I said fine as it was close and cheap for a get away. We got a condo and I'll be drinking while the wife naps and my kid swims and then we will go out and try to find some fun. Just getting out of town, but I am obviously a beer drinker and I was under the impression Tennessee didn't have much of a selection for beer. Several members on this site corrected me and told me to check out some breweries but I forgot which ones. Throw some suggestions at a beer drinker of good Tennessee brews.

VN Store

Back