VFL Tony Robinson featured in new ESPN film

kamoshika

10290Y03.jpg

Tony Robinson’s football career was like a supernova. Robinson shined bright in big moments, landing on magazine covers and having movies made about his exploits. But the illumination disintegrated quickly, waylaid by an injury and then a string of drug convictions, probation violations, forgeries and prison stints.

The former University of Tennessee quarterback will be back in the spotlight next month when “Year of the Scab” makes its world premiere at the Tribeca Film Festival in New York. An ESPN Films release, “Year of the Scab” chronicles the temporary replacement players for the Washington Redskins that filled in for boycotting players during the 1987 NFL season.

http://www.knoxnews.com/story/sports/college/university-of-tennessee/football/2017/03/24/former-tennessee-quarterback-tony-robinson-featured-espn-film/99389704/

Reactions: 5 people
He was a heck of a football player in today's football he would shine if he could stay of the caine.:rock:

One of my favorite Vols. The '85 Auburn game is one for the ages.

One for the ages, indeed. While cheering on the Vols that day, I had my binocs on Pat Dye frantically pointing to the field and obviously ordering Bo Jackson back in the game during the 4th quarter. Bo was seated on the bench, helmet off, and just shook his head "No". A magical moment for sure. What a win!!!

Reactions: 3 people
One for the ages, indeed. While cheering on the Vols that day, I had my binocs on Pat Dye frantically pointing to the field and obviously ordering Bo Jackson back in the game during the 4th quarter. Bo was seated on the bench, helmet off, and just shook his head "No". A magical moment for sure. What a win!!!

Bo knows how to give up, at least he did that day.

Reactions: 2 people
When I saw that first scab game was on, I took the phone off the hook so I wouldn't be interrupted. Just had a feeling it might be one of the only times I would ever see T-Rob in an NFL uniform.

Last edited:
He was injured. Of course, we didn't know that at the time. To call him a quitter that day I can get. To still be saying it today? Asinine.

Shouldn't really bother you that much. :)

He was injured. Of course, we didn't know that at the time. To call him a quitter that day I can get. To still be saying it today? Asinine.

First I've ever heard that he was injured. I'd fake an injury too if Dale Jones and Co. had drilled me on every play whether I had the ball or not. Injured my ass....

Reactions: 1 person
I was at the game in Birmingham when Tony got cheap shotted into a methadone clinic. We may have been outnumbered, but UT fans clearly won the fight at the Tide and Tiger after the game.

I remember seeing that too. I was behind their bench..
Great game.

Dude was a baller before ballers existed! He had a deep thigh bruise and still played several plays. From experience, I can tell you that you'd almost rather have a gun shot!

VN Store

Back