Kirkland embracing role as Vols' 'last Mohican'

kamoshika

There are some veteran holdovers...and the primary one on defense is linebacker Darrin Kirkland Jr., the former freshman phenom whose promising second season never got off the ground due to a significant ankle injury. For the most part, the heart-and-soul players he watched and played alongside the first two years of his career are gone, and Kirkland has taken the responsibility to fill the void upon himself.

"Like I was telling my father, it's my third spring now," Kirkland said after Thursday's second spring practice. "It's a lot different, because I've always been a good player surrounded by great players. Now I'm kind of the last Mohican now, so I find myself being the main guy, the leader of the defense, and I've embraced that role. I know I have to bring it at another level every day."

http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/sports/college/story/2017/mar/24/darrkirkland-embracing-role-vols-last-mohican/419333/

Reactions: 10 people
last-of-mohicans-o.gif

Kirkland calling the negavols to come back from the ledge!

Reactions: 17 people
'The Last Mohican' .. that's all im going to call him now.. his talents are really going to show/standout this year. we missed him last year

Reactions: 1 person
Darrin is embracing his Rambo role.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LO6gGXcIhU[/youtube]

Always thought DKJr. would emerge as a leader. His comments indicate he's ready for that role holding himself and teammates accountable. We need strength and toughness on the 'D' this Fall.

I get the feeling that this group...after participating in and, for the newcomers, witnessing the misfortunes and disappointments laid down on their predecessors...team 121 will at the very least display a drive and resolve such as we've not seen thus far from one of Butch's teams. Despite all the hype and promise, the combination of a very steep SEC learning curve for the staff and an injury pandemic of truly disastrous proportions, at least CBJ and crew have another shot at cementing all these bricks into the monster that we've all been looking for. Some of us...actually most of us...have been holding up our heads and we've been consistent with pumping the sunshine onto these fellas. Maybe the dots will connect this time and the sun will arise on everyone when it's football time in Tennessee. AMIRIGHT?:yes:

Last edited:
University of Tennessee's Office of Multicultural Student Life has contacted Mr. Kirkland to inquire about his claim of being the last living member of the Mohican Tribe. Mr. Kirkland is from Indiana and the Mohican are from the current area of New York state. There may be some fake news being reported here.

There are some veteran holdovers...and the primary one on defense is linebacker Darrin Kirkland Jr., the former freshman phenom whose promising second season never got off the ground due to a significant ankle injury. For the most part, the heart-and-soul players he watched and played alongside the first two years of his career are gone, and Kirkland has taken the responsibility to fill the void upon himself.

"Like I was telling my father, it's my third spring now," Kirkland said after Thursday's second spring practice. "It's a lot different, because I've always been a good player surrounded by great players. Now I'm kind of the last Mohican now, so I find myself being the main guy, the leader of the defense, and I've embraced that role. I know I have to bring it at another level every day."

http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/sports/college/story/2017/mar/24/darrkirkland-embracing-role-vols-last-mohican/419333/

I think the world of this youngster!

VN Store

Back