Currie needs to be back channeling on day one.

Vfl2407

After the debacle that this LV season was, those that care anything about the sport or just about UT's national sports reputation want Holly gone. Some say to give her more time to coach the incoming number one recruiting class.

Here's what I Say:
Not only about Holly but all 4 of our primary interest sports of football, men's B.B., LV B.b., and baseball.

Currie should already being doing heavy research for POSSIBLE replacements of Jones, Barnes, Warlick, & Serrano.
I think we need to do things differently in any future coaching searches. Let's put cart before the horse.
I would love to have Currie know (with as much certainty as is possible) that he has at least 2 or 3 qualified candidates for each position that have given him personal off the record, behind the scenes assurances they want the job if it came open.

By qualified I mean:
An obvious upgrade to the current coach.
Not just going to play us for a raise at current location.
An "under the table" gentlemans agreement on the amount of money, control, contract terms and buyouts, etc.

I'm prepared for incoming criticism of this approach that this "won't work because it's just not done this way and certainly not at UT".
But it has been done with our competitors.
Just look how quickly that Bama got their latest AD.
That was certainly a "done deal" before Battles resignation was announced.
Or, look at it from any businesses that you may have owned, managed, or been a part of.
I know that the GOOD ones that I was a part of always had replacements in mind before they let someone go (unless the person they were firing was just horrendous or did something requiring an immediate dismissal).

So far, I think it could be fairly argued that of the four that only Serrano has grossly underachieved.
Holly has underachieved.
Jones and Barnes both have enuf legitimate injury excuses to still be in the wait and see category.

So, my hope for Currie is that he will publicly say all of the right things in his first year in that he backs all of our current coaches but that everyone is obviously always under evaluation.
Meanwhile, HE (not search firms, boosters, alums or anyone else) works the phones privately and behind the scenes to find out who would have any legitimate interest in filling any potential coaching vacancies at UT.

just my .02.
A retired semi-senile VFL hoping to see a few more titles before being called to the orange carpet on high.

Reactions: 1 person
"Let's put the cart before the horse." Doesn't work.

Isn't that what Currie did with Gruden when he pushed Fulmer out?

Reactions: 2 people
"Let's put the cart before the horse." Doesn't work.

Isn't that what Currie did with Gruden when he pushed Fulmer out?

Didn't Hamilton lead the charge to dismiss Fulmer along with several prominent boosters.
I do think that Currie went along with the decision.
I'm not completely sure that UT thought they had Gruden "on the hook" when letting Fulmer go.
But, again you may be correct, because i always thought that Hamilton was not competent.

Didn't Hamilton lead the charge to dismiss Fulmer along with several prominent boosters.
I'm not completely sure that UT thought they had Gruden "on the hook" when letting Fulmer go.
But, again you may be correct, because i always thought that Hamilton was not competent.

All my info is coming from Volnation.

Consider the source.

Doesn't matter who the new AD is, the Haslams still run the show. I would fully expect a coaching search/hire would be like the saying two monkeys and a football.

Reactions: 3 people
If I were a coach at UT and I caught wind that the AD had been looking for my replacement behind my back, without any real reason besides "just in case" or to "put the cart before the horse," I'd raise hell. Especially if I didn't have any real reason to think my job was in jeopardy, a la Butch or Barnes.

That is the most ridiculous idea I've read on here, I think.

Edit: And I know many of you think Butch's job is in jeopardy, but it's not. If we lose 5 games this year, then yes. But that hasn't happened, and all of us true Vol fans hope it doesn't.

Last edited:
Reactions: 9 people

Or, look at it from any businesses that you may have owned, managed, or been a part of.
I know that the GOOD ones that I was a part of always had replacements in mind before they let someone go (unless the person they were firing was just horrendous or did something requiring an immediate dismissal).

Alabama hired a search firm and completed their AD search over six months.

Battle didn't announce because he had agreed not to announce his retirement until the search for a replacement was complete.

You can't do that in coaching circles. Coaches talk. Agents talk. If you try to move on a new coach before announcing the fate of your current coach, you'll have a disaster. That's why it doesn't happen.

Any ad will have a list of coaches. None would be dumb enough to contact them (especially if they're already employed)

So the sky has Fallen and fire EVERYBODY?! Thanks OP needed another thread for this. :blink::blink:

Reactions: 6 people
Thanks for the clarification.

Who was Currie pushing for after Fulmer?

Currie was present, but that whole situation was driven by Hamilton. And Hamilton was all-in on Kiffin the day he was fired by the Raiders. He had decided to move on from Fulmer almost as soon as the 2008 season started.

After the debacle that this LV season was, those that care anything about the sport or just about UT's national sports reputation want Holly gone. Some say to give her more time to coach the incoming number one recruiting class.

Here's what I Say:
Not only about Holly but all 4 of our primary interest sports of football, men's B.B., LV B.b., and baseball.

Currie should already being doing heavy research for POSSIBLE replacements of Jones, Barnes, Warlick, & Serrano.
I think we need to do things differently in any future coaching searches. Let's put cart before the horse.
I would love to have Currie know (with as much certainty as is possible) that he has at least 2 or 3 qualified candidates for each position that have given him personal off the record, behind the scenes assurances they want the job if it came open.

By qualified I mean:
An obvious upgrade to the current coach.
Not just going to play us for a raise at current location.
An "under the table" gentlemans agreement on the amount of money, control, contract terms and buyouts, etc.

I'm prepared for incoming criticism of this approach that this "won't work because it's just not done this way and certainly not at UT".

So far, I think it could be fairly argued that of the four that only Serrano has grossly underachieved.
Holly has underachieved.
Jones and Barnes both have enuf legitimate injury excuses to still be in the wait and see category.

So, my hope for Currie is that he will publicly say all of the right things in his first year in that he backs all of our current coaches but that everyone is obviously always under evaluation.
Meanwhile, HE (not search firms, boosters, alums or anyone else) works the phones privately and behind the scenes to find out who would have any legitimate interest in filling any potential coaching vacancies at UT.

just my .02.
A retired semi-senile VFL hoping to see a few more titles before being called to the orange carpet on high.

has lots more talent than Serrano, so I'd say she's the one who's "grossly underachieved," not him. Serrano didn't inherit a premier program--Warlick did. Our baseball program has struggled for a LONG time. We don't get the players we need. Warlick is just a bad coach. She was a terrible hire to begin with--not qualified, no chops, nothing but a close friend of Summit--and then Hart disastrously compounded the problem by giving her an extension. She should be asked to resign today before further damage is done to the already dented Vol women's basketball program.

RE men's basketball, Barnes needs to recruit, find some talented bigs. He can coach, but he's in the last stages of his career, probably, and so potential future candidates should be researched. That said, you can only back-channel if you know a coach is going to leave or be sacked within a relatively short period of time--within months or after the next season, max. Otherwise, it's all too speculative and everybody's situation changes.

RE Jones: I'm still a supporter. Last year was a bit of a downer but he loves the program, recruits well, and he's made the program better--a key point. And he keeps trying to make it better. All good signs.

Reactions: 4 people
Currie was present, but that whole situation was driven by Hamilton. And Hamilton was all-in on Kiffin the day he was fired by the Raiders. He had decided to move on from Fulmer almost as soon as the 2008 season started.

Didn't he attempt to ax fulmer in 05?

Thats nuts, Hamilton had just give him a contract extension in July 2008 correct?

Hamilton was probably the most incompetent AD in the history of the NCAA. He's to blame for 90% of our athletic problems over the last 10 years. He fired 2 very successful coaches (Fulmer & Delmonico) & replaced them with 2 clowns, then replaced Kiffin with an even bigger clown! The leadership at UT has been a joke. I'm not quite on board with Currie & Davenport yet. I hope they can prove theyre not the next set of clowns in Knoxville

Reactions: 4 people

Currie was Hamilton's right hand man, was very much on board with the decision, flew around the state and country meeting with key boosters to gather support for firing Fulmer. According to Doug Mathews, frequently referred to Fulmer as a "fat bastard".

Last edited:
Currie was Hamilton's right hand man, was very much on board with the decision, flew around the state and country meeting with key boosters to gather support for firing Fulmer. According to Doug Mathews, frequently referred to Fulmer as a "fat bastard".

Matthews has turned into a virtual yenta. :lol:

I really like Matthews.
Despite his Vandy roots, he is now all Vol.
Very glad he bought WVLZ radio in Knoxville.
That being said, he is very close to and protective of Fulmer.
Hopefully, Currie never used those words in regard to Coach Fulmer. I do remember that Coach Majors had a pretty nasty nickname for Fulmer which I once heard him say. Life as a Vol fan - sure never boring...lol.

lol this is so stupid.

No kidding. I would wager that OP has never managed as much as a lemonade stand. In this age, everything gets leaked. OP's method would result in an absolute carousel of coaches at UT, and make it even harder to get a decent coach to even consider a job at UT.

Firing Fulmer was the right decision. Period.

The hiring of Kiffin appeared to be a good one at the outset. But, while it likely wouldn't have mattered, Hamilton should have put a customary buyout in Kiffin's contract to protect UT.

That is a small mistake, however, compared to the horrendous mistake of hiring one Derek Dooley. Was Currie involved in that hire?

VN Store

Back