"FreakNotes" of Butch Jones' press conference

Freak

VolNation's Grand Poobah
Staff member
Here's the full video and my notes below, which are summarized from Butch's comments.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=csy0xrBR7cQ[/youtube]

• Praised Rock Gullickson. We will see a stronger bigger more explosive football team tomorrow.
• Details, accountability, and toughness: challenged players in these 3 areas.
• Every job is open. There is no depth chart. No timetable has been set on a starting quarterback or any position.
• On quarterbacks, we will be looking for consistency every day and can manage our offense. Must compete on a daily basis.
• Being at the Gruden QB camp with Josh Dobbs, he was finishing my sentences and I was finishing his. [Butch said, speaking on communication]. We all need to be on the same page and speak the same terminology.
• Out for spring: Micah Abernathy, Rashaan Gaulden, Brandon Johnson, Brett Kendrick, Kyle Phillips, Josh Smith, Shy Tuttle and Kendall Vickers.
• Kevin Beard: the first thing that hits you is his ability to relate to our players. He has very good communicative skills and has done a good job of earning trust. Good mentor.
• Excited about staff. Chemistry was there almost instantaneously. New ideas and new energy. Individuals want to be part of this football program. Great to hear different perspectives. They all want to be here and they understand the standard and the expectation.
• No position changes right now. Could change.
• Chance Hall: We expect him to be out there practice one but is still recovering from surgery. He's not 100% but he's worked very hard.
• Quay Picou is one of the individuals who I'm excited to see him transfer all of the gains he's made in S&C onto the field. He surpassed all of his personal goals. Darrell Taylor is another young man who has changed his body.
• Jonathan Kongbo we're moving back to DE. Want him to solely focus on DE but that experience inside will benefit him and allow us some flexibility within our defensive scheme.
• Trey Smith has had a productive offseason. He's extremely competitive and driven. However, he's not taken one snap at the collegiate level. But his intangibles are very, very impressive.
• Guys who could step up to fill the holes left at defensive end: Jonathan Kongbo, Darrell Taylor
• We cannot compromise our physicality as a football team, nor will we this spring. It's vital that we become a more physical and explosive football team.
• Larry Scott, new OC. We will be a little bit different team. You have to mold your offense and defense around the strengths of your players. It's all about putting your players in positions to succeed. Also playing to the strength of the quarterback as well. That will lend itself to some changes both on offense and defense.
• Carlin Fils-Aime. This is a very, very big spring for Carlin. From a fundamental, toughness, durability and overall repetition standpoint. He's worked hard.
• Toughness was a big theme. We've worked harder than we every have on explosive movements in the weight room.
• Excited to see the redshirts and the five newcomers. The OL will be one of our most competitive positions. We need that. It's the only way you get better.
• John Currie: We are excited to have him here on April 1st. We've spoken a lot.

Select full quotes from Butch: http://www.volnation.com/freaknotes/2017/03/20/spring-football-butch-jones-press-conference/

Reactions: 19 people
• John Currie: We are excited to have him here on April 1st. We've spoken a lot. -- hope thats not an April fool joke

Reactions: 7 people
The OC part has me a little excited if they legitamitely follow through and not just run Butch's philosophy.

I think it will be different because Scott is wanting to set himself up for a HC position. You can see that with the way he has moved in his career.

Also, we've done minimal changes to our offense to suit the type of players we have in our offense in the past. Looking forward to hopefully seeing a new dynamic and more unpredictable playcalling. though I was a Debord hater, he stepped up his playcalling.

Thanks Freak!

Reactions: 2 people
Tennessee Pro Day Ok Thanks - if there are any highlights from it, hope you can post them

Hopefully DB will be 100% for that one and improve his scores a significant bit.

In the end, it doesn't matter as he wins through mental toughness and perseverance more than anything else!

I'd rather have DB than a Michigan Taco! lol and no disrespect to another fine DE entering the draft.

Last edited:
Thanks Freak - as always.

This quote...

"Larry Scott, new OC. We will be a little bit different team. You have to mold your offense and defense around the strengths of your players. It's all about putting your players in positions to succeed. Also playing to the strength of the quarterback as well. That will lend itself to some changes both on offense and defense."

....especially the part in bold is I believe what we heard year 1 of CBJ. To this point, we haven't seen it as much as I had hoped. I hope expectations set a few years ago come to fruition in 2017.

Reactions: 2 people
Butch has beat me. I can't listen to him speak anymore. Even reading his quotes brings me down compared how I used to get jacked up in the spring. Ready for this year and him to be over.

Reactions: 3 people
Butch has beat me. I can't listen to him speak anymore. Even reading his quotes brings me down compared how I used to get jacked up in the spring. Ready for this year and him to be over.

Ok

Reactions: 8 people
We've heard his name a lot, but he's I guy I really hope can step up this year. Defensive end is a huge position of need, imo.

We have a few positions of need (QB), DE is definitely one of them. The talent is there, they just gotta stay healthy.

Not a word about Hoke?

Hmmm....
did you actually watch the whole presser?
he def mentioned hoke when speaking about the new coaches and how some have been head coaches and interim head coaches and how that helps communication. i mean he didn't go on and on but he def spoke more than " not a word about hoke"

Reactions: 3 people

I feel sad now.

You know how you get a new set of headphones, and they aren't the 200$ headphones, but they are getting rave reviews. You get them out the box and they are tight, they distort at higher volumes and they are too tight on your head. After a couple of weeks use though, they get what's called "burn in". They start to loosen up and glue the sound. They start to fit better etc. That's Butch right now. He needed a "burn in" period. He's changing. He's learning, and he's starting to sound better. lets see how he functions. The guy wants to win.

Reactions: 17 people

VN Store

Back