Starting Defense

white65

GO!

D-Line

DE-Kongbo
DT-Vickers
DT-Shy (Kmac if Shy isn't healthy)
DE-Taylor (My pick for breakout player of the year)

LB core

LB1-Kirkland
LB2-Mcdowell

Secondary (kinda worried about the corners)

CB1-Martin (he may gone though )
CB2-Moseley
Nickel-Osborn

One safety will be Kelly Jr. and the other will be Warrior.

Reactions: 1 person
Shoop claims that we will run more 4-3 this year that the nickel stuff last season was more out of necessity than a permanent fixture.

GO!

D-Line

DE-Kongbo
DT-Vickers
DT-Shy (Kmac if Shy isn't healthy)
DE-Taylor (My pick for breakout player of the year)

LB core

LB1-Kirkland
LB2-Mcdowell

Secondary (kinda worried about the corners)

CB1-Martin (he may gone though )
CB2-Moseley
Nickel-Osborn

One safety will be Kelly Jr. and the other will be Warrior.

Gaulden will start

Reactions: 8 people
I have a feeling Daniel Bituli cracks the starting lineup at LB. Dontavius Sapp is going to make an impact there as well.

Reactions: 3 people
My highly unqualified prediction of starting defenders for the 1st defensive snap of GT ...

DE - Kongbo
DT - Vickers
DT - Tuttle
DE - Phillips

OLB - Bituli*
MLB - Kirkland
OLB - Sapp**

CB - Moseley
Nickel - Gaulden*
SS - Kelly
FS - Warrior**
CB - Martin

* GT probably gets more nickel coverage than 4-3.
** I think Sapp takes that spot, but coaches might go McDowell/Abernathy, game 1, for the experience and gap discipline vs this unique running attack.

Gaulden will start

I forgot about him, I think he'll be nickel b/c he can stop the run well. But if the newcomers can't cut it at corner then he'll be forced to play there. I also think he'll get some work at safety.

My highly unqualified prediction of starting defenders for the 1st defensive snap of GT ...

DE - Kongbo
DT - Vickers
DT - Tuttle
DE - Phillips

OLB - Bituli*
MLB - Kirkland
OLB - Sapp**

CB - Moseley
Nickel - Gaulden*
SS - Kelly
FS - Warrior**
CB - Martin

* GT probably gets more nickel coverage than 4-3.
** I think Sapp takes that spot, but coaches might go McDowell/Abernathy, game 1, for the experience and gap discipline vs this unique running attack.

Everything seems reasonable except this. If anything we'll be playing with an extra lineman or line backer to try to stop GT's option run game.

The scary part is that Tuttle, Vickers, and Mckenzie are all hurt, with serious questions about 2 of them being ready by Aug 1. and all three of them NOT BEING in the weight room since last fall.. And Yes they are A level players but their backups are not... Zero depth and it could go from bad to awful in a hurry..

Reactions: 2 people
I forgot about him, I think he'll be nickel b/c he can stop the run well. But if the newcomers can't cut it at corner then he'll be forced to play there. I also think he'll get some work at safety.

well if you're not considering all the players then what's the point of putting together a starting line up 5 months early?

I've been talking about Taylor ever since he showed up here. He is going to be a freak.

Also for offensive breakout player: Brandon Johnson

I've been talking about Taylor ever since he showed up here. He is going to be a freak.

Also for offensive breakout player: Brandon Johnson

I hope you're right about Taylor. Wasn't Barnett quoted last year praising Taylor's athleticism and potential? I remember someone talking about him being the most athletic guy on the team.

Assuming everyone is healthy:
DE - Kongbo
DT - McKenzie
DT - Tuttle
DE - Phillips

OLB - Bituli
MLB - Kirkland
OLB - Sapp

CB - Moseley
Nickel - Gaulden
SS - Kelly
FS - Warrior
CB - Martin

at this point, you could put the DT's in a hat, shake 'em up and pull out any # of names. no way to know who's going to be available game one at this point. but you figure at some point, ST, KM and KV will all see significant time thru out the season.

at DE, Phillips and Kongbo make sense.

at LB, DKjr, Sapp and Mcdowel. Shoop really wants to get back to a 4-3. i'd expect Jumper, Bituli and elliot Berry all to get looks, and the two former seen regular action.

the secondary...that's where it still gets interesting....i think TKjr and Warrior probably wind up starting at Safety. at DB, you have a log jam of guys.

Gaulden, Abernathy, Martin, Mosely, Osborne, Griffin, Buchannan, all saw action last year, all with varying degrees of success/struggle. in the end, competition here should be tough, and my gut says they'll go with experience, assuming somone doens't just stand out, so i wouldn't be surprised if it's Abernathy and Mosely? not a lot of confidence in Mosley though. very inconsistent.

but there's really no telling. they have choices, and competion should be pretty stiff, begging a couple of these guys to really step up. and we don't know if they're going to move Byrd yet, so that's another ?.

The scary part is that Tuttle, Vickers, and Mckenzie are all hurt, with serious questions about 2 of them being ready by Aug 1. and all three of them NOT BEING in the weight room since last fall.. And Yes they are A level players but their backups are not... Zero depth and it could go from bad to awful in a hurry..

Unless both KMac and Tuttle are ready to go vs GaTech, which isn't likely.....and unless one of the freshmen comes in and plays early and very well, which isn't likely, we're gonna be very thin at DT again this year

VN Store

Back