Combine Vols 2018?

ERvolsfan

I thought in honor of the 2017 Combine and pretty much all Vols had a good showing. I thought it would be fun to throw out some possible names of Vols at next year's combine.

Jashon Robertson OG
TKjr. S
Ethan Wolf TE
Ev Berry if he has good year at S
Maybe Justin Martin/Emann if they have good years.

I feel most confident about Jashon and Wolf.

In descending order of confidence:

Seniors
1. TE Ethan Wolf
2. DT Kendal Vickers
3. CB Justin Martin
4. CB Emmanuel Moseley
5. G Jashon Robertson
6. C Coleman Thomas

Underclassmen
1. LB Darrin Kirkland Jr.
2. S Micah Abernathy
3. RB John Kelly
4. WR Jauan Jennings
5. DE Jonathan Kongbo

I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt, depends on if he's forced into a role not suited to his skillset.

I can't decide if he was forced into a DT position out of necessity or do the coaches really think he could be better as a DT. It might be that his real skill set is to play both. He might be very good at both and just not a star at either. I want to believe he figured out the speed and power of players in the SEC and will terrorize O-lines and QB's this year. He looks like an athletic freak of sorts with his size and build but, he just didn't look like the explosion last year that I expected. Maybe when your lining up opposite Derek Barnett, anyone would look average.

Reactions: 1 person
I can't decide if he was forced into a DT position out of necessity or do the coaches really think he could be better as a DT. It might be that his real skill set is to play both. He might be very good at both and just not a star at either. I want to believe he figured out the speed and power of players in the SEC and will terrorize O-lines and QB's this year. He looks like an athletic freak of sorts with his size and build but, he just didn't look like the explosion last year that I expected. Maybe when your lining up opposite Derek Barnett, anyone would look average.

Good question. I always thought that it was out of necessity; but I've been wrong before. As we read yesterday about former player's, and other's, opinions of Hoke, that one dude said that Hoke likes to play straight up on the d-line, meaning going right through the o-linemen rather than with stunts. Which leads me to my questions: where does Kongbo figure in to this? Which spot would his strengths be maximized? In my opinion, it's at DE.

Tuttle and McKenzie will probably declare as well.

Your probably right and they'll blow any chance at an NFL career. Can't say I blame Tuttle anyway. Such a beast but such awful injuries. Kmac on the other hand has just been highly overrated at this point.

Seniors
1. TE Ethan Wolf
2. DT Kendal Vickers
3. CB Justin Martin
4. CB Emmanuel Moseley
5. G Jashon Robertson
6. C Coleman Thomas

Underclassmen
2. S Micah Abernathy
3. RB John Kelly
4. WR Jauan Jennings
5. DE Jonathan Kongbo

Martin and Moseley will never make a NFL roster. It wouldn't surprise me to see Kirkland declare after this season if he stays healthy and has a good one.

Seniors
1. TE Ethan Wolf
2. DT Kendal Vickers
3. CB Justin Martin
4. CB Emmanuel Moseley
5. G Jashon Robertson
6. C Coleman Thomas

Underclassmen
2. S Micah Abernathy
3. RB John Kelly
4. WR Jauan Jennings
5. DE Jonathan Kongbo

Not much of a list, especially if Wolf is the guy you're most confident in. Don't see many drafted NFL players there.

Reactions: 3 people
Better have great 2017 seasons, otherwise, KMac doesn't get drafted and I'm not 100% sure about Tuttle given his injuries.

If Tuttle could have stayed injury free. He would have been a first round pick for sure. Dude is straight up disruptive.

If Tuttle could have stayed injury free. He would have been a first round pick for sure. Dude is straight up disruptive.

True/possibly, but the reality is that he hasn't stayed healthy. And KMac is a major bust at the moment.

I thought in honor of the 2017 Combine and pretty much all Vols had a good showing. I thought it would be fun to throw out some possible names of Vols at next year's combine.

Jashon Robertson OG
TKjr. S
Ethan Wolf TE
Ev Berry if he has good year at S
Maybe Justin Martin/Emann if they have good years.

I feel most confident about Jashon and Wolf.

For those interested here is what CBSSports/NFLDRAFTSCOUT.COM has for our players for 2018 draft:
Vickers 5th round #18 DT #5 DT in SEC
TK 3rd round #5 SS #2 SS in SEC
Kendrick 4th round #12 OT #2 OT in SEC
Robertson 7-FA #20 OG #3 OG in SEC
Thomas FA/no contract #11 C #5 C in SEC

Obviously things can change and the round projected is based on where say the #18 DT is projected to go in the 17 draft.

Just interesting

Not much of a list, especially if Wolf is the guy you're most confident in. Don't see many drafted NFL players there.

A lot can change in a year.

Last year at this time I doubt anyone thought Kamara would be a first rounder. Or that the University of Washington would potentially have 4 first round players.

If we have the season I expect, it would mean a lot of guys improved and played some of the best ball in the country. That would improve our guys draft stock.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
Player development just isn't good enough. Hope they turn it around this year.

Seniors
1. TE Ethan Wolf
2. DT Kendal Vickers
3. CB Justin Martin
4. CB Emmanuel Moseley
5. G Jashon Robertson
6. C Coleman Thomas

Underclassmen
2. S Micah Abernathy
3. RB John Kelly
4. WR Jauan Jennings
5. DE Jonathan Kongbo

How many run sub 4.4 and are future hall of famers though man?? I gotta know!!

How many run sub 4.4 and are future hall of famers though man?? I gotta know!!

None.

Our 2017 draft class is a generational group. Highly unlikely we see that again.

Of the guys coming out next year, Wolf and Kirkland have the most potential. They look like future pro-bowlers. Not hall of famers.

VN Store

Back