Article: Why the Cleveland Browns are a perfect fit for Josh Dobbs

Dobbs 4 Heisman

Why the Cleveland Browns are a perfect fit for Josh Dobbs – Tennessee Journalist

How is this the perfect fit for Dobbs? He’s already had a week with the Browns staff and has publicly stated his positive impressions they made. Plus, it would be one of the few destinations where he would have a chance to take the starting job, work with a knowledgeable coach known for his ability to adapt his scheme to best fit the talents of his quarterback and be under no pressure to succeed early. Finally, the positive impacts made by his leadership could have a lasting effect on the organization as a whole.

While the Browns are certainly the laughingstock of the league, their offensive personnel is no joke. If it weren’t for a quarterback or two getting hurt every game, Cleveland showed the ability to move the ball with ease on some teams. For once, Dobbs would get to enjoy an offensive line capable of giving him protection. In addition, Terrelle Pryor’s breakout 2016 campaign proved he can be a number one wide receiver. If they re-sign Isiah Crowell, the running back duo of him and Duke Johnson Jr. would provide him a power back in Crowell and a versatile one in Johnson to rely on. This doesn’t even include the potential offensive weapons added either in free agency or the draft.

If he were to earn the starting gig, Dobbs would be put in a situation where he can be asked to do as little as possible as he gradually gains the confidence to run an NFL offense. As a rookie, he would certainly make his fair share of mistakes. Luckily, the Browns will be in a position next year where they can all of their young guys can afford to make mistakes and learn from them. On the other hand, the combination of Dobbs’ upside and the offensive scheme and personnel of the Browns could translate to some promising plays and games, which would bode well for how Cleveland would view him long term. Even if he didn’t earn the full-time job, he could still earn a chance to play in the case of injuries or underwhelming play by the starter.

At the end of the day, no one has a clue where any of these guys end up. Despite that, there is evidence to back up the idea of Dobbs in Cleveland. The former Vol has a long way to go in terms of pocket awareness and decision making, but the Dobbs that Cleveland saw at the Senior Bowl proved to them that he might be closer to being ready than they originally thought. Of course, playing on Sundays is just a bit different than the competition at the Senior Bowl. Yet, out of all the offensive coaches in football, Jackson is one of the few worth trusting to get the most out of Dobbs.

Nothing is more important for a young player in the NFL than seeing the field early to show people what you can do. Cleveland would be the best opportunity for Josh to play as a rookie. I would love to see him there working with Hue Jackson. I think he could help rebuild the Browns.

Reactions: 1 person
Not if he actually wants a career in the NFL

[YOUTUBE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5vZHXOwSfiE[/YOUTUBE]

Pretty much sums up the position...

Reactions: 13 people
Hope he gets a much better fate than going to that dumpster fire. Hope he goes to one of the better run, more stable franchises that already has a good-great starting qb so he has the best opportunity and as much time as possible to develop and how to be an NFL qb.

For once, Dobbs would get to enjoy an offensive line capable of giving him protection.

Uh... wut?

The Browns ranked dead last in sacks allowed last year. They were a full sack per game worse than the second-worst team. There is a reason their QBs continually get killed.

Reactions: 4 people
What did Dobbs do to the author?

I actually agree with the author. Cleveland would be a great fit. There are many positives:

1. Low Expectations
2. Immediate Playing Time
3. QB expert for a Head Coach
4. Decent Offensive Line

All Josh would need to do is give the position some stability and provide leadership. If he does that the fans will be happy given the recent history of QB in Cleveland.

What in the literal f*** are you talking about?

Joe Thomas is still one of the best LTs in the league. They have a couple of other high picks on that line. I haven't watched them play but people have said their o-line is not that bad. Its mostly the QBs that make them look bad.

Joe Thomas is still one of the best LTs in the league. They have a couple of other high picks on that line. I haven't watched them play but people have said their o-line is not that bad. Its mostly the QBs that make them look bad.

That is painfully evident.

Reactions: 7 people

Oh really, Mr Football Expert with your hours of film study?

Their line is effing garbage. Joe Thomas is great, but he is one of five guys. The Browns have given up more than 3 sacks per game in 3 of the last 4 seasons. They are trash.

Reactions: 7 people
I actually agree with the author. Cleveland would be a great fit. There are many positives:

1. Low Expectations
2. Immediate Playing Time
3. QB expert for a Head Coach
4. Decent Offensive Line

All Josh would need to do is give the position some stability and provide leadership. If he does that the fans will be happy given the recent history of QB in Cleveland.

Why do you hate Josh Dobbs? Cleveland inst a good fit....for anyone.

I'll put an end to the o line issue as a life long Browns fan. We have had one of the best olines but they are starting to age. The Browns are one of the youngest teams in the nfl but they are aging on the front line and in the secondary. They also need Barnett as a pass rusher.

Browns fans are split down Barnett and Guarrett lines and it's the big talk with the Browns fans. They are not even thinking about Dobbs, but that could be the draft game at play right now.

One more thing to think about. Beyond the Barnett Garrett argument the biggest talk
Is will the Browns resign Terrelle Pryor, because they didn't tag him and are in negotiations right now. The office and coaches have repeatedly stated though "we will not panic if we don't reach a deal with Pryor." So that has been swirling around in my head lately "could they be looking at Dobbs to fill the Pryor roll?"

I'll admit I only read the title of this thread...but NO ONE is a perfect fit for the Browns. You could take the Patriots roster and put them in Browns unis and they would 4-12.

The Browns and 76'ers are the worst franchises in sports.

We have had one of the best olines but they are starting to age.

They have been one of the worst o-lines in the league for years now. 2016 was not an aberration.

But 2016 was historically bad. The Browns gave up more than 4 sacks per game. Only one other team has managed to do that in the past 10 seasons: the '14 Jags.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 people
If Dobbs is gonna pan out he needs to be somewhere he can sit and learn for a year or two before getting thrown to the fire.

If he's gonna be in a position to start early, I hope it's for a team with a really strong OL and a great running game to lean on or he'll likely face a great deal of struggles IMO.

Reactions: 2 people

What "people" have said this? Not anyone who knows what the hell they are talking about has said this.

Reactions: 3 people
the browns suck hard, and UT lets that rich arsehat make too many decisions, money talks, but that don't make it smart

VN Store

Back