Video of Josh Dobbs on preparing for the combine

Really hope he goes to a team with a good coach that gives him a fair shot. His athletic ability is unreal and his passing his not as bad as his reputation suggest. He has a chance to be a solid player

Reactions: 2 people
Best of luck to a great guy and a great Representative of the University of Tennessee.

Josh Dobbs arrives at NFL Combine prepared to pursue lifelong dream

Pretty cool feature on how Dobbs is preparing for the combine.

I love the confidence and shape he's in.

I'm calling it right now....sub-4.5 40. :rock:

Hope he does great. Love the kid and wish him great success in the NFL

Edit: and honestly, who the hell cares about how fast an NFL qb is? I don't care if he runs a 5.4, I hope he throws great. We know he'll crush his interviews, he just needs to throw great. Nobody gives an ish if he runs 4.4 or 4.8, it won't matter for a qb.

Last edited:

Edit: and honestly, who the hell cares about how fast an NFL qb is? I don't care if he runs a 5.4, I hope he throws great. We know he'll crush his interviews, he just needs to throw great. Nobody gives an ish if he runs 4.4 or 4.8, it won't matter for a qb.

Correct. NFL qbs rarely use their legs, which is why Dobbs wont make it unfortunately.

Correct. NFL qbs rarely use their legs, which is why Dobbs wont make it unfortunately.

MM8 says hello.

Dobbs can pass as well. He has some work to do to be at an NFL level, but he has the discipline and maturity to do it. Given the state of QBs in the NFL, he has a shot.

I completely lost interest (what little I had) for the NFL after Peyton retired. I'm hoping Josh gives me a reason to watch again.

Reactions: 1 person
Aaron Rodgers, Cam Newton, Russell Wilson, Marcus Mariota, etc. would argue otherwise.

I believe the point being made has little to do with arguing that mobility isn't a positive asset but rather that Josh's (or any QB making it in the NFL) success is FAR more predicated on making timely and accurate throws against NFL defenses. If you don't have the latter the former is pretty irrelevant.

We'll see but I'm certainly pulling for him.

I believe the point being made has little to do with arguing that mobility isn't a positive asset but rather that Josh's (or any QB making it in the NFL) success is FAR more predicated on making timely and accurate throws against NFL defenses. If you don't have the latter the former is pretty irrelevant.

Tyrod Taylor signed a five year, $90 million extension with the Buffalo Bills on August 13, 2016.

And nobody would have said he was any better of a passer than Dobbs coming out of VT as his strength was viewed as being an athletic scrambler from a no huddle offense.

Making it as a QB in the NFL is a long shot for most everyone, but dismissing Dobbs as not having a chance is unrealistic. Is it likely he becomes the next rookie of the year - No. But the chances are very high that he gets drafted and will get a couple of years to determine if he can continue to develop. I'm sure rooting for him as it couldn't happen to a better young man.

update: Taylor rushed for 2,196 yards at VT and Dobbs 2,160 at UT.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 people

IMO, the Combine 40 time is one of the most over-rated stats in the game. After this, most of these players will never be timed in the 40 again....even WR's & DB's. You can either play or you can't. Running 40 yards straight in shorts and t-shirt tell me very little.

Reactions: 3 people
I wonder if our football coaches have thought of using a drone in that manner to help our QB's. It really is a great way to see footwork and pocket presence.

And nobody would have said he was any better of a passer than Dobbs coming out of VT as his strength was viewed as being an athletic scrambler from a no huddle offense.

Making it as a QB in the NFL is a long shot for most everyone, but dismissing Dobbs as not having a chance is unrealistic. Is it likely he becomes the next rookie of the year - No. But the chances are very high that he gets drafted and will get a couple of years to determine if he can continue to develop. I'm sure rooting for him as it couldn't happen to a better young man.

Eh, Taylor's last two seasons his passer rating was 152.1 vs Josh's 138.8 so there is that.

In any case the post to which you originally replied was nothing more than me making the simple observation that being an effective passer is FAR more important in today's NFL than raw athleticism. I can't imagine you'd really have an issue with that assessment.

I'm not ruling Dobbs out of anything, merely pointing out that for a QB a good 40 time is nice but translates very poorly as a predicator of success in the NFL.

MM8 says hello.

Dobbs can pass as well. He has some work to do to be at an NFL level, but he has the discipline and maturity to do it. Given the state of QBs in the NFL, he has a shot.

Mariota averaged 23 rushing yards per game last year and nearly 60 ypg his senior year at Oregon. When Dobbs rushed for 23 yards at UT, we lost.

If you don't have the latter the former is pretty irrelevant.

In any case the post to which you originally replied was nothing more than me making the simple observation that being an effective passer is FAR more important in today's NFL than raw athleticism. I can't imagine you'd really have an issue with that assessment.

It's all good. Just having a discussion - no Waffle House meeting required.

I read you're first quote as an NFL QB's mobility skills are irrelevant and won't allow any player to stick as an NFL QB. I think Dobbs compares very favorably with Taylor when he came out of VT and he doesn't fit the typical NFL pass only QB mold. :good!:

It's all good. Just having a discussion - no Waffle House meeting required.

I read you're first quote as an NFL QB's mobility skills are irrelevant and won't allow any player to stick as an NFL QB. I think Dobbs compares very favorably with Taylor when he came out of VT and he doesn't fit the typical NFL pass only QB mold. :good!:
Oh we're absolutely good. Did you maybe infer too much from my original post? Note the boldened.

There is NO downside to being more athletic...none. I stated as much. As a matter of priority however if you can't make the throws it doesn't matter which puts things like 40 times much more toward the back with QB's than with RB's/WR's/DB's etc.

I really hope Josh does well...he's immensely easy to cheer for as a person and UT alum.

And you got something against waffles? :)

This is false. When Aaron Rodgers runs around and then throws a phenomenal pass people talk about his athletic ability. Russell Wilson won a superbowl with the read option as an integral part of the Seahawks offense.

And even if what you said were true, Dobbs is a special enough talent that he'll the change the mold of what an NFL QB is.

You guys should be thankful. You watched the start of a legendary NFL career in college.

Mariota averaged 23 rushing yards per game last year and nearly 60 ypg his senior year at Oregon. When Dobbs rushed for 23 yards at UT, we lost.

In the NFL he'll have better coaches and won't be shackled by Butch Jones anymore. Remember that Butch only let Dobbs loose when we fell behind by 2 or more TDs.

When Josh Dobbs becomes a dominant NFL player you guys will realize just how much Butch Jones held him back.

I'm anxious to see what Dobbs actually runs the 40 in, 4.5ish I suspect. But Dobbs has never exhibited any traits that suggest he is an NFL caliber QB. He's a late round talent at best, but after the Pats took Jacoby Brissett in the 3rd round last year who knows what can happen. Somebody will make room for an experiment, the league is starved for QBs.

VN Store

Back