Cheek, Hart.........Jones

UT Hill Man

I ♥ Big Jugs
The old adage that bad luck comes in 3's could be true for old Butch. They represent the three faces of the Title IX lawsuit which embarrassed the university and cost it millions. Maybe it's just a hunch, but I think CBJ is on a very short leash, and not just because he went 8-4 and missed the Sugar Bowl because he couldn't beat Vandy.

New Chancellor, new AD, new coach?

Any way that's my 2 cents.

I think that CBJ will be here for several more years at least,he has retooled his coaching staff,been to consecutive bowl games,on his way to getting UT respected once again,did he fall short this past season ? yes,but there was a crap load of injuries to go along with that

i'm thinking at least 3 years more,gotta give those new coaches time to recruit and get the players in the system and no,I don't much much stock into freshmen recruits being able to help much,a few do,most don't

I forget which thread it was in,but they were saying part of the SEC slipping was the turnover of coaches,so with CBJ improving things,who would they get if he was fired ?

Reactions: 19 people
I am not a Jones fan. However, putting him in the midst of the Title IX lawsuit doesn't hold water. There is enough that IS his fault that there is no need to pile on.

Reactions: 16 people
He needs to WIN more meaningful games than he LOSES...PERIOD!

Call it "short leash" or whatever you want...but "shuffling the cards beneath you" is only impressive a couple times...WINNING is the measure of the Job!

Reactions: 1 person
I agree with OP. But, the buyout is just too high for next year. Maybe to high for next two years.

There has already been 3 changes ... Davenport still has to hire one other person - that is 3.

Unless the team bottoms out next year or something really bad happens off the field, there will be no coaching change. Coach Jones has done way more right that he has done wrong if you look at all things associated with the program. Folks just need to get behind Team 121.

Reactions: 21 people
The old adage that bad luck comes in 3's could be true for old Butch. They represent the three faces of the Title IX lawsuit which embarrassed the university and cost it millions. Maybe it's just a hunch, but I think CBJ is on a very short leash, and not just because he went 8-4 and missed the Sugar Bowl because he couldn't beat Vandy.

New Chancellor, new AD, new coach?

Any way that's my 2 cents.

Not sure about Butch being on a short leash. Like most on here I think he will get at least two more years unless something crazy happens.

Last edited:
Butch has handled off-field discipline in exemplary fashion...specially in comparison to the horror shows in Norman and Waco. I believe decision makers used Title IX to nudge Hart and Cheeks out for other pent up reasons. He'll be judged by the state of the program...as he should be.

Reactions: 12 people
I am not a Jones fan. However, putting him in the midst of the Title IX lawsuit doesn't hold water. There is enough that IS his fault that there is no need to pile on.

Agree. He had virtually if not completely nothing to do with the BS Title IX lawsuit.

Reactions: 5 people
Unless something else comes up about the way he dealt with Boyles (sp?), i think Jones has dealt with these issues properly. It took alot of guts to bench AJ when he did, knowing how meaningful those games where and that he wouldn't have his best player.
Its not fair to wrap him up in the title 9 stuff. In that regard it seems CBJ would be the exact type of coach she would want.
Now his record against Vandy....

Reactions: 2 people
Other than Saban because that aint happening.
What other current SEC Football coach would you trade Jones for?
Take your pick of the league.

I got nothing!

Reactions: 7 people
I think that CBJ will be here for several more years at least,he has retooled his coaching staff,been to consecutive bowl games,on his way to getting UT respected once again,did he fall short this past season ? yes,but there was a crap load of injuries to go along with that

i'm thinking at least 3 years more,gotta give those new coaches time to recruit and get the players in the system and no,I don't much much stock into freshmen recruits being able to help much,a few do,most don't

I forget which thread it was in,but they were saying part of the SEC slipping was the turnover of coaches,so with CBJ improving things,who would they get if he was fired ?

The amount of money he's making the next two years she could be the wide receiver coach for the Browns

Unless something else comes up about the way he dealt with Boyles (sp?), i think Jones has dealt with these issues properly. It took alot of guts to bench AJ when he did, knowing how meaningful those games where and that he wouldn't have his best player.
Its not fair to wrap him up in the title 9 stuff. In that regard it seems CBJ would be the exact type of coach she would want.
Now his record against Vandy....

It's Drae Bowles, and benching Johnson and Williams? What other choice was there? Anita was all over it from the get go and reporting every imagined hint of impropriety as a grand conspiracy. I swore a couple of times I drove by the campus, the wicked witch of the west was doing a flyover on her broom, and the flying monkeys were just over the horizon.

For all intents and purposes, AJ and Mike were considered guilty until proven innocent by the Tennessean. And we would make Baylor look like saints right now. Butch had no other sane choice.

i don't think we should use bowl games as any measuring stick. you have to be .500 to get in a bowl and this year you just had to be 5-7.

It's Drae Bowles, and benching Johnson and Williams? What other choice was there? Anita was all over it from the get go and reporting every imagined hint of impropriety as a grand conspiracy. I swore a couple of times I drove by the campus, the wicked witch of the west was doing a flyover on her broom, and the flying monkeys were just over the horizon.

For all intents and purposes, AJ and Mike were considered guilty until proven innocent by the Tennessean. And we would make Baylor look like saints right now. Butch had no other sane choice.

But he still had a choice

He needs to WIN more meaningful games than he LOSES...PERIOD!

Call it "short leash" or whatever you want...but "shuffling the cards beneath you" is only impressive a couple times...WINNING is the measure of the Job!

I am forced to agree with that. Last year should have been a payoff year; trip to Atlanta, at least the Sugar Bowl, and being considered "back". Instead, they struggled against the cupcakes, lost to A&M, SC, and Vandy and most of the reasons why was really stupid stuff.

It is time to be accountable. The Get Out of Jail free cards are at the bottom of the stack this year. We heard too many excuses last season to tolerate even the legitimate ones this fall. It is time to win.

OK, Einstein I will bite. What choice?

Good greif, man is this really that difficult? I gave the guy props for how he dealt with the issues. He could smoothed it over and let AJ play until we were bowl eligible. He could have done alot of things, he did the right thing. Wnats the deal?

Reactions: 3 people
Good greif, man is this really that difficult? I gave the guy props for how he dealt with the issues. He could smoothed it over and let AJ play until we were bowl eligible. He could have done alot of things, he did the right thing. Wnats the deal?

Smooth it over? Are you serious? You are living in a fantasy world if you think that could happen. Maybe you need to quit drinking the water in Bama. At this point, I seriously question your common sense. Bowl eligible my ass!

Smooth it over? Are you serious? You are living in a fantasy world if you think that could happen. Maybe you need to quit drinking the water in Bama. At this point, I seriously question your common sense. Bowl eligible my ass!

Good God dude, you win. He could have dealt with it the wrong way....he didnt. My bad for acknowledging that. Good job man.

Good God dude, you win. He could have dealt with it the wrong way....he didnt. My bad for acknowledging that. Good job man.

I was hoping you would provide a sane choice he could have made. Anita was getting famous enough getting her garbage coverage spread nationwide. Trying to smooth it over and get bowl eligible would have been the most insane choice, given how rumors of the incident were getting spread everywhere. We got roasted bad enough.

I was hoping you would provide a sane choice he could have made. Anita was getting famous enough getting her garbage coverage spread nationwide. Trying to smooth it over and get bowl eligible would have been the most insane choice, given how rumors of the incident were getting spread everywhere. We got roasted bad enough.
Well sorry i took away your argument by showing im not really stupid so you could continue on. To me, your argument seems to suggest that CBJ only did the right thing because he had no choice. I tend to believe he did the right thing because it was the right thing to do. We always have choices regardless of the situation.

Reactions: 3 people

VN Store

Back