Is It Me, Or Does This Staff Look Pretty Studly Now?

dbarker

Especially if we add Kippy Brown???? My Lord, this staff looks SOOOO much better than it did at the end of the season.

Reactions: 8 people
Hoke was a huge hire, but there are a ton of unknowns on the offensive side. Anyone who says they have any understanding on how a 1st time playcalling OC will perform is guessing. And people weren't exactly beating Canales' door down either.

Reactions: 4 people
Hoke was a huge hire, but there are a ton of unknowns on the offensive side. Anyone who says they have any understanding on how a 1st time playcalling OC will perform is guessing. And people weren't exactly beating Canales' door down either.

Agree to this, however it doesn't hurt at all that Scott and Canales have worked together. OCs need to be able to trust their coaches. The bond between them should make our QBs really solid when it comes to what' Scott is thinking at a particular time during the game. CRG is a stud. Wells by all accounts is pretty solid. If we get Kippy, that means WR and RB should be locked down. So only time will tell, but I definitely feel a lot better about this staff right now than last year.

Reactions: 2 people
They look like the Spice Girls with Butch being Ginger Spice. Everyone already knew Geri Halliwell simply was just no more than the de facto leader of the group.

Reactions: 1 person

I've been good with the Scott promotion all along. Is it a question mark? Yes. I'm just not unhappy with the move though. I think Scott will bring some much needed changes to the offensive scheme without changing Butch's Offensive philosophy. Mainly using the TE's better. That alone should IMO help fix some of the flaws in the Offense (which I thought overall wasn't bad) last season.

Canales is a bigger question mark and unknown, but still it's hard to say it's not an improvement. We didn't have one...now we do. Upgrade? Got to be. How much? We'll see I guess.

I do agree that the D side hires at least up front definitely look stronger. His behind the scenes hires for all practical purposes seem to be pretty top notch too.

JMO

Reactions: 3 people
Butch has done a great job adjusting the staff. The offensive staff didn't need overhauling, I like the "tweaks" he has made. You're scoring 35-40 the offense is not the problem. Get Kippy Brown on staff, I'd say our staff would or could be one of the best.

Hoke was a huge hire and my favorite hire of all. He's a beast on the recruiting trail and with just one position to focus on, I think he will do great. The staff adjustments have me looking forward to next season more than in as a month ago.

Larry Scott being promoted will look better at season's end than it did when it happened too JMO

I'll echo others. The defensive additions are excellent. Warren and Hoke should really help improve our defense. They are both great teachers and recruiters. It is great to see those positions filled with quality guys. We really need help on the defensive side of the ball, and I think now that we have good coaches Shoop can focus on his job more and fix our defense.

The offense additions are a question mark. But I do agree that Scott will be the spark the offense needs to take the next step. I think he'll bring enough change and new ideas for us to be more consistent. After all, he is trying to build a name for himself and work towards a HC job. Wells appears to be an excellent recruiter and people speak well of him and his coaching ability, he cannot be any worse than Mahoney. Canales seems to be really energized and excited to be at Tennessee. He could really help our QBs out. He's never really had the resources like he does at Tennessee either. But he is the biggest uncertainty in my opinion. I hope we add another great teacher and recruiter in a WR coach. Brown or Beard would be good additions. As others mentioned, our offense was not the problem last season. So the continuity and familiarity with the staff may pay off. I also expect the tweaks to enhance our offense and take care of the problems that we were seeing last season.

Butch is also doing a great job with off-field additions. Rock is already making a huge impact on our program and we should really see advances in our strength and conditioning. Also, it was a great addition with Gerald Brown as an offensive analyst. He has tons of NFL experience. How awesome will it be for players to sit down and analyze game film with a guy with his experience. Butch wants to add another analyst staff member with similar NFL experience too.

In conclusion, it appears that Butch is finally putting a staff together that belongs at Tennessee. Even with the question marks surrounding the offensive additions, Butch has upgraded the staff all the way around. If the offensive hires turn out to be successful, which I believe they will, Butch may have made the best offseason changes of any team in years. Go Vols!

Last edited:
Reactions: 15 people
So far I'd have to say that buTch has done a really good job of upgrading his staff.

He seems to have gotten good coaching teachers that are going to also be better recruiters.

If our new WR coach is also a solid teacher and another good recruiter then these offseason hires could turn out to be exactly what we need to get over the hump to the next level.

Better coaching and much better recruiting is the only way we'll WIN the SEC and move on to the Playoffs and that's where I want to see us go...soon.

VFL...GBO!!!

Reactions: 1 person
Defensive side definitely. On paper at least. Shoop was terrible last year though he was definitely a big name hire.

Defensive side definitely. On paper at least. Shoop was terrible last year though he was definitely a big name hire.

Our defense was certainly a liability last year, but I believe it is not entirely fair to blame it all on Shoop. I think it was a mixture of injuries and certain assistant coaches not teaching Shoop's defense correctly. Imagine how hard it would be to manage a defense when your position coaches do not agree with you nor teach your defense in the correct manner. Also, I think communication broke down with certain coaches at points during the season. I think with these additions Shoop can return to being the leader of the defense and trust his coaches to have the players ready.

waiting for the staff picture to come out with them all shirtless, chains around their necks, and next to an orange lambo

Reactions: 3 people
Our defense was certainly a liability last year, but I believe it is not entirely fair to blame it all on Shoop. I think it was a mixture of injuries and certain assistant coaches not teaching Shoop's defense correctly. Imagine how hard it would be to manage a defense when your position coaches do not agree with you nor teach your defense in the correct manner. Also, I think communication broke down with certain coaches at points during the season. I think with these additions Shoop can return to being the leader of the defense and trust his coaches to have the players ready.

I hear you and the jury's out I guess. But there's not much excuse in the defense being THAT bad down the stretch.

I don't think any of these coaching hires have opposing coaches losing sleep at night but I really hope they can improve a team that lost most of it's main weapons. That will be a tall order. I am hopeful for Scott to be a success, but I was just as hopeful for Sunseri back in the day. Unproven coaches are a crap shoot.

Reactions: 2 people

VN Store

Back