Quarterback Battles Across the SEC

dduncan4163

Have at it Hoss
Spring Storylines: Quarterback Battles Across the SEC - War Eagle Sports Radio

I agree with Barrett. I think Jarrett wins the QB battle this summer and Butch will sink or swim depending on his SEC readiness. Jarrett is the ideal QB for Butch's system on paper.

If Jarrett wins the job and struggles severely then right or wrong it will be seen as a coaching failure at the top and Butch most likely won't survive the season.

Reactions: 1 person
I really hate breaking in a new QB against GT. There is hardly any upside to that game imo. Win and nobody cares. Lose and the entire season could derail right out the gate. Not to mention at the potential for injuries playing a offense like theirs. I just really hate everything about the match up.

Reactions: 12 people
I really hate breaking in a new QB against GT. There is hardly any upside to that game imo. Win and nobody cares. Lose and the entire season could derail right out the gate. Not to mention at the potential for injuries playing a offense like theirs. I just really hate everything about the match up.

The bad thing about the match-up is that its true value won't be known until much later in the season. A win or loss will look much different if GT goes on to have a very good or very bad season.

As far as being unable to survive the season. I don't think CBJ would get fired before season's end if the QB is a bad choice, barring a horrific run of performances. The good thing is, I think QD and JG are both talented enough to be successful as the starter.

Reactions: 7 people
If Jarrett wins the job and struggles severely then right or wrong it will be seen as a coaching failure at the top and Butch most likely won't survive the season.

As much as people don't want to hear it, I think if Butch goes 8-4 and recruiting looks good, he's around till 2018. If we go 7-5 and recruiting drops off, then he's in trouble. But if we lose a few early games with a new QB and finish strong with another 9-4 type season, Butch is back.

Though, I feel like we're being very underrated by the media for 2017. We have a ton of talent returning. Our D sucked because of injuries; not because of lack of players. If the offense can find a groove, we can be much better than anticipated.

Reactions: 7 people
Why does every one hate on Dormady? Dude has a cannon, is accurate, and has speed. So does JG.

We should be glad we have two awesome quarterbacks to choose from, but man let it play out in practice.

Reactions: 14 people
"If they pick the wrong quarterback CBJ will not make it through the season" :eek:lol:

really though, Guarantano is good, but dont underestimate Dormady. I'm not making predictions and I have no inside info. I have seen Dormady play, that's all.

Reactions: 2 people
"If they pick the wrong quarterback CBJ will not make it through the season" :eek:lol:

really though, Guarantano is good, but dont underestimate Dormady. I'm not making predictions and I have no inside info. I have seen Dormady play, that's all.

And everyone knows how loyal of a person butch is.

100% Tat game scares the bajeezus out of me!

Wrong. Butch knows he HAS to open with a win at GT or it's a 6 win season and he's dead man walking. Dormady is the safer choice to start the opener even if JG is the long term answer.

Exactly, JG is getting praise from every angle, and I love hearing he is a good passer, I think UT is in good hands with him, but it's Dormady's to lose at this point. He's been groomed for years and has the game experience.

Reactions: 4 people
Wrong. Butch knows he HAS to open with a win at GT or it's a 6 win season and he's dead man walking. Dormady is the safer choice to start the opener even if JG is the long term answer.

Our offense, no matter the QB, doesn't scare me against GT it's our DL getting cutblock/hurt by their OL.

There is a ton of instate talent 4* or better coming out next year saying how much they like Butch and staff.
You have 7 new coaching hires that will be year one. Butch would have to murder someone to get fired next year.

Reactions: 8 people
I'll probably get killed for this but I'll say it anyway...I think they both play this season. QD is the true #1 and JG get plenty of minutes as a change of pace guy. My reasoning..both will prove capable and the dynamic of utilizing both talents will be too tempting and 2) don't want to give either a reason to walk. We are too thin at QB to lose one after the years end.

Reactions: 3 people
Our offense, no matter the QB, doesn't scare me against GT it's our DL getting cutblock/hurt by their OL.

There is a ton of instate talent 4* or better coming out next year saying how much they like Butch and staff.
You have 7 new coaching hires that will be year one. Butch would have to murder someone to get fired next year.

He murdered my hopes of an SEC CG appearance with that garbage he put on the field against USCjr, that's close enough.

:popcorn:...ooh wee...this is gonna be a very interesting year, it seems...should be fun...if you let it...let it unfold...:)

GO BIG ORANGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If JG is close to being equal as a passer and shows that he can make smart decisions with the ball, he will win the starting job. But QD has already shown he can sling it around the yard more efficiently than Dobbs could and knows the offense in and out. I think QD surprises many and opens the season as the starter and puts up big passing numbers. If our OL is not extremely improved though we will have no choice but to switch to the better runner be it JG or Sheiron Jones.

Reactions: 3 people
I'll probably get killed for this but I'll say it anyway...I think they both play this season. QD is the true #1 and JG get plenty of minutes as a change of pace guy. My reasoning..both will prove capable and the dynamic of utilizing both talents will be too tempting and 2) don't want to give either a reason to walk. We are too thin at QB to lose one after the years end.

Hmm..it seems to me that the Gators ran your idea to perfection about a decade ago. Maybe QD and JG will be our Leak and Tebow. We could only be so lucky.

The bottom line is, Who will make the right read?

It's my understanding that we have called runs and called pass plays but we also have called Pass/Run/QB keep plays based off how the defense defends a "particular" formation.

When JJ is on an island he needs the ball coming to him and I don't care what the down and distance or the formation, get him the ball.

As for when the read calls for the QB to keep, the one that can make the defense pay for not having a defender dedicated to stoping our QB that's who needs to be on the field. We are past the days of our QB having an open read and keeping it just to be caught for a 4 yard gain. Nothing wrong with 4 yards but when a defense doesn't have to worry about our QB taking it to the house or at least 15-20 yards in chunks when uncovered, they can collapse on the RB and take their chances.

As for our recievers, too many times I would see the defender locked in man to man and our guys would release to block, the defender would then immediately start playing the run. I think it was Smith that talked about tells when describing our WR play. Just as a defense tries to disguise the coverage our Offense has to disguise our intentions.

Be ready for vanilla early in games for our offense to test the waters and get a read for how the defense will handle formations and option assignments.

Last year our offense would script 1st and 2nd down and then would have 3rd down plays ready for picking depending on distance and urgency of converting. I don't expect that to change.

Please contact Butch and have him get in touch with D.
Trump. Trump can make it look accidential. That man got moves.

I agree!! I have posted along these lines before. There is very little way to practice for this offense, its speed is the problem. Injuries could be a really big problem for defense running side to side. Bad game any time of the year, but as first game, you have stated it perfectly.

VN Store

Back