AD Bubba Cunningham

secking

Candidate for the UT job.

Lawrence R. "Bubba" Cunningham is an American college athletics administrator. He was named athletic director for the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill in 2011. He previously served as athletic director for Ball State University from 2002 to 2005 and for the University of Tulsa from 2005 through 2011.

Pre answer
The problems at NC were prior to his arrival. Not related to him.

Pre answer

My first thought was he wants to jump ship after seeing what was handed to Ole Miss this week and knows what is finally coming their way. He was UNC's AD when they got the NCAA letter and then stopped the academic fraud classes when they got the letter in 2011. 18 years of academic fraud and UNC still doesn't think they did anything wrong. Talk about elitist :loco:

Reactions: 4 people
Pre answer

The reason he is looking around is because he F'ed up the NCAA investigation at UNC royally. He continued to fight the NCAA even after the NCAA dropped the violations against the football and basketball programs (the NCAA's 2nd Notice of Allegations). Now, as a result, the NCAA issued a 3rd Notice of Allegations reinstating the charges against the football and basketball programs.

Reactions: 2 people
The reason he is looking around is because he F'ed up the NCAA investigation at UNC royally. He continued to fight the NCAA even after the NCAA dropped the violations against the football and basketball programs (the NCAA's 2nd Notice of Allegations). Now, as a result, the NCAA issued a 3rd Notice of Allegations reinstating the charges against the football and basketball programs.

This is why I can't believe his name is even on the short list. No admission, from anyone of power, at UNC regarding their troubles. Everyone over there is toxic. Just watch UT mess this hire up badly.

Reactions: 3 people

I can find nothing that supports this. Every article I can find says lawyers for UNC have handled what you are saying Cunningham did.
I've found articles calling Cunningham "cooperative".

Do you have a link?

Would be very odd for BC to be handling this level of legality instead of their attorneys.

I can find nothing that supports this. Every article I can find says lawyers for UNC have handled what you are saying Cunningham did.
I've found articles calling Cunningham "cooperative".

Do you have a link?

Would be very odd for BC to be handling this level of legality instead of their attorneys.

You are correct that the lawyers will draft all the legal responses; however, it is up to the school's administration to decide when to fight and when to settle. If I get in a car wreck, my attorney will do all the legal filings and present the settlement offers/recommendations; however, at the end of the day, the decision to settle is mine. Once football and basketball was dropped, it should have been a no brainer for them.

Reactions: 4 people
You are correct that the lawyers will draft all the legal responses; however, it is up to the school's administration to decide when to fight and when to settle. If I get in a car wreck, my attorney will do all the legal filings and present the settlement offers/recommendations; however, at the end of the day, the decision to settle is mine. Once football and basketball was dropped, it should have been a no brainer for them.

Ok, I'm not defending anything UNC did. But the decisions seemed to stem from the main administration (top down) at the attorneys advice, not from Cunningham. You said he did all those things and I can't anything suggesting this.
I don't know the guy, so if he screwed-up, no problem. You just responded to my post like I was completely off but provided nothing as proof.

Ok, I'm not defending anything UNC did. But the decisions seemed to stem from the main administration (top down) at the attorneys advice, not from Cunningham. You said he did all those things and I can't anything suggesting this.
I don't know the guy, so if he screwed-up, no problem. You just responded to my post like I was completely off but provided nothing as proof.

Charger,

I am not saying that you are off at all. The school, based on their attorney's advice, decided to fight the NCAA even after the NCAA dropped everything against football and basketball. At this time, the administration at UNC appeared to make the wrong choice.

I have some serious concerns about the timing of his alleged interest in the UTAD position and the status of the UNC investigation especially since the people who covered this day-to-day (Dan Kane with Raleigh Observer, Gary Parrish CBS Sports) were shocked that UNC continued to fight.

From USA Today....

Bubba Cunningham, North Carolina’s athletics director, said in a statement, “As a member of the NCAA, we carefully considered the appropriate University response based upon a thorough analysis of the NCAA’s Constitution and bylaws and all involved parties’ mutual desire to adhere to these important standards. We identified key issues and provided factual responses for each allegation with the goal of bringing this case to a fair and just conclusion.”

Reactions: 3 people
Charger,

I am not saying that you are off at all. The school, based on their attorney's advice, decided to fight the NCAA even after the NCAA dropped everything against football and basketball. At this time, the administration at UNC appeared to make the wrong choice.

I have some serious concerns about the timing of his alleged interest in the UTAD position and the status of the UNC investigation especially since the people who covered this day-to-day (Dan Kane with Raleigh Observer, Gary Parrish CBS Sports) were shocked that UNC continued to fight.

From USA Today....

Bubba Cunningham, North Carolina’s athletics director, said in a statement, “As a member of the NCAA, we carefully considered the appropriate University response based upon a thorough analysis of the NCAA’s Constitution and bylaws and all involved parties’ mutual desire to adhere to these important standards. We identified key issues and provided factual responses for each allegation with the goal of bringing this case to a fair and just conclusion.”

Yeah I know he gave the statements.
And I absolutely agree he wants out of there before the punishment ishanded down. I just see nothing wrong with that because he wasn't there when the infractions occurred.
He would basically be suffering consequences for what the people before him did. As far as a person and AD, he seems like an okay guy.

I would prefer Blackburn or the guy from the Carolina Panthers personally. I just wanted people to know that he wasn't part of UNC scandal, and has done nothing that I'm aware of to make it worse. (Him personally)

Yeah, our next AD better damn well be 1. David Blackburn or 2. Phil Fulmer. Beverly hires anybody else, since evidently this does now appear to be her hire, and she's gonna catch hell from all corners and her tenure as UTs Chancellor gets off to a very rocky start.

Last edited:
Davenport is not going to hire anybody that the boosters do not rubber stamp. I think it is humorous that some people think Davenport is suddenly going to come in and make decisions without the boosters approval. That is not knocking her at all, I think she will do a great job, that is just how college athletics work at big programs.

This decision will be made by the boosters.

Literally not one fan of an opposing team is paying attention to this. Also, if you had read just one comment under the OP, you'd see that he had zero part in the NCAA investigation. He was brought in after

It's beyond a laughingstock for all the Vol fans and media who are following it

Reactions: 1 person
Davenport is not going to hire anybody that the boosters do not rubber stamp. I think it is humorous that some people think Davenport is suddenly going to come in and make decisions without the boosters approval. That is not knocking her at all, I think she will do a great job, that is just how college athletics work at big programs.

This decision will be made by the boosters.

Doug Mathews seemed to finally come off a similar thought that he has expressed for months now. He sounded very frustrated this morning with the process and said his sources, who have said what you did for awhile, now say they have no idea where things stand at the present.

Doug Mathews seemed to finally come off a similar thought that he has expressed for months now. He sounded very frustrated this morning with the process and said his sources, who have said what you did for awhile, now say they have no idea where things stand at the present.

Interesting. I mean she is the chancellor so she could randomly make the decision on her own, and rightfully so, but I would expect if she started doing things like that she would not be at Tennessee too long. I doubt she wants to ruffle the boosters' feathers that much in her first few weeks.

I do not always agree with the way our boosters think and a lot of the time I believe they cause more harm than good, but when you have people donating multi-million dollars annually, you have to listen to them.

VN Store

Back