Butch by the numbers

IknoxvolsI

This isn't a bash Butch per-se, but, I read alot of defenders speaking of a 9 (nine) win season as if that is a major accomplishment. While I give the accolade that it is much better than the losing seasons that go back to '08 (excluding CLK lone season), the 9 win season only correlates to winning 69%. This is not 1985 where a 9 win season was an accomplishment or an impressive feat! Now, add in all of the cup cake games that have been scheduled in and 9 wins really is not all that impressive.

Now, this is not another or typical bash Butch thread but, he should have had at least two more wins each season than he has had beginning with the '14 season and he should have had three for '15. 10-2 is much, much better than 9-4 especially when one adds in a weak opponent for the past three bowls!

So, how can one say the program is headed in the right direction? I could see it if we would have pulled the GA '14 game like we should have. And, maybe the OK or/and FLA, ARK of '15 and ran the course against USEe, aTm and Vandy last year but Butch has not improved.

Just my thoughts so flame away VN!

Reactions: 3 people
This isn't a bash Butch per-se, but, I read alot of defenders speaking of a 9 (nine) win season as if that is a major accomplishment. While I give the accolade that it is much better than the losing seasons that go back to '08 (excluding CLK lone season), the 9 win season only correlates to winning 69%. This is not 1985 where a 9 win season was an accomplishment or an impressive feat! Now, add in all of the cup cake games that have been scheduled in and 9 wins really is not all that impressive.

Now, this is not another or typical bash Butch thread but, he should have had at least two more wins each season than he has had beginning with the '14 season and he should have had three for '15. 10-2 is much, much better than 9-4 especially when one adds in a weak opponent for the past three bowls!

So, how can one say the program is headed in the right direction? I could see it if we would have pulled the GA '14 game like we should have. And, maybe the OK or/and FLA, ARK of '15 and ran the course against USEe, aTm and Vandy last year but Butch has not improved.

When your first words are this is not a bash Butch thread then you know it's going to be.

Man up or go home...lol

Reactions: 22 people
I put in "per-se" so give me some credit here! Just don't check my stats though!🤞🏻

So what's your point? Yeah, we all wanted to win more games.

Last season was last season, and it's over now. Get ready for 2017 and quitcher bishen.

Reactions: 11 people
This isn't a bash Butch per-se, but, I read alot of defenders speaking of a 9 (nine) win season as if that is a major accomplishment.

Please quote where folks said 9 wins is a "major accomplishment".

Now, this is not another or typical bash Butch thread but, he should have .....

Yes, yes it is.

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 people
Purely "by the numbers" there is not much of an argument that Butch has not achieved what he was hired to do @Tennessee...

Butch remains due to his work ethic, the fact that many want anything BUT another change...and his early recruiting prowess.

If it were up to his GAMEDAY coaching, his lack of putting his foot in his mouth with Clichés, or his ability to coach up talent...

He'd be kicking rocks!

Reactions: 5 people
Using next year as an example. Let's say we go 9-3 (8-0).

That means we lose to three out of these four.

Ga Tech
Indiana State
UMass
Southern Miss

Even with a SECCG...you probably are not a playoff team and wouldn't deserve to be.

Yeah. I'm going to be pretty pissed off.

Ga Tech
Indiana State
UMass
Southern Miss

Even with a SECCG...you probably are not a playoff team and wouldn't deserve to be.

I know this situation would never happen, but I don't know if I would be mad or not. Beating Fla, Bama, LSU, and GA in the same season would be quite a feat.

If you didnt saying Butch is great, its a bash butch thread.
If you think the Vols are going anything other than 15-0 next year, you arent even a real vols fan.

Ga Tech
Indiana State
UMass
Southern Miss

What?

How dare you sharing your opinion up in here. What do you think this is.....free speech?

No matter how seasons go....only post positive....got it?

Blue

How dare you sharing your opinion up in here. What do you think this is.....free speech?

No matter how seasons go....only post positive....got it?

Blue

Yeah, cause the bi***** and moaning has been so suppressed.

Next time just begin with "I'm completely full of it but"

Reactions: 8 people
Yeah, cause the bi***** and moaning has been so suppressed.

Next time just begin with "I'm completely full of it but"

Ignore it or find a safe place. I dunno what to tell ya. Until mediocrity leaves...the negative will be mentioned. And you can't stop it

Reactions: 2 people
Ignore it or find a safe place. I dunno what to tell ya. Until mediocrity leaves...the negative will be mentioned. And you can't stop it

Really?
Because you literally just claimed you weren't allowed?????
Who needs that safe space princess?

Reactions: 7 people
When people start of with these...

It's not the money....

Don't take this the wrong way....

and/or use the word "but" anywhere in the first sentence of any sentence....

That is EXACTLY what they mean...

Pot calling kettle black.

I wasn't pumping. When I see the same ole posters in every thread being negative I will gladly point it out. I have no idea why you'll don't make a negative thread so that you can say the same things over and over so that you'll get your likes your aching for.

Ex. The weightroom thread. Rock is new and we have new recruits. I like being able to read what's new with the team I love withought having to scroll through 20 posts of bulls#!t.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 people
A few years ago when a heavily underdog team coached by 1st year coach Saban beat a heavily favored team coached by Fulmer, the Bama faithful felt the program was headed in the right direction (he began the game with an on-side kick).

When CBJ beats one or two teams he's supposed to lose too, then there will be quality evidence of his ability and the team's positive trajectory. Until then....? We have threads discussing it.

Reactions: 1 person

VN Store

Back