Derek Barnett might be the NFL drafts best pass rusher

Vols_14

MTS notes: Derek Barnett might be NFL draft's best pass rusher - NFL.com

It's well-established that Texas A&M's Myles Garrett is viewed as the top pass rusher in the draft, but Tennessee's Derek Barnett definitely deserves consideration for the honor after terrorizing the SEC as a destructive force off the edge for three seasons. In fact, you could make the argument that Barnett should own the No. 1 spot at the position after wreaking havoc on SEC foes as the Vols' designated pass rusher.

Good to see him getting the love he deserves

Reactions: 15 people
Check his stats!
For real tho, it's nice to see a national analyst notice how much more productive Barnett is than Garrett in SEC play.

Reactions: 1 person
Note: he actually didn't compare them statistically. Thats what i get for posting before reading. I assumed he would based on the tagline, oh well. I bet Barnett puts up better numbers this year than Garrett. Any takers?

This is the best part imo......it's essentially what all of us not named D4H have been saying for 2 years now....

"He's not going to run a fast 40, but if you like tough, violent, high-motor players with production, you'll love him," said an AFC executive. "He kind of reminds me of a young Terrell Suggs coming out of Arizona State."

The praise didn't end there when I spoke to evaluators about Barnett.

"I love the kid," said an AFC college scouting director. " ... He is a great football player with a nasty temperament. I don't understand why some scouts aren't high on him, but he can play for me any day."

I think speed is overrated for DE and motor/desire is underrated. Besides that, Barnett is fast enough to get to the QB.

I hope the Titans trade down and get Derrick plus a early 2nd rounder for that 5th overall pick.

Would make my day.

Check his stats!
For real tho, it's nice to see a national analyst notice how much more productive Barnett is than Garrett in SEC play.

Barnett is EXTREMELY quick off the ball and really anticipates the snap count. NFL will exploit that, Garrett has more upside and talent but Barnett has the motor Garrett doesn't have. I'm hoping Falcons move up and take Barnett.

I think speed is overrated for DE and motor/desire is underrated. Besides that, Barnett is fast enough to get to the QB.

I hope the Titans trade down and get Derrick plus a early 2nd rounder for that 5th overall pick.

Would make my day.

Agree. That being said, I can think of 4-5 times, one time in particular vs Oklahoma his soph year, where Derek made a play 20+ yards down downfield and across the field, on effort (and underrated athletic ability imo) that not many DEs can or will make (I'm looking at you Myles Garrett). 40 times means zilch in the evaluation of a rush DE imo. It's all about quickness/get-off, hand work, power and want-to and Barnett has those traits in spades imo.

Reactions: 2 people
Barnett is EXTREMELY quick off the ball and really anticipates the snap count. NFL will exploit that, Garrett has more upside and talent but Barnett has the motor Garrett doesn't have. I'm hoping Falcons move up and take Barnett.

He also has great bend and power. He's gonna be an outstanding pro imo barring injury.

Would make my day.

That would make my day too.

My only concern with DB going to my Titans is that he's a natural 4-3 DE and I'm not sure how well he'll do in a 3-4 D.

Titans have the # 5 and # 18 picks in the 1st round.

Trade the # 5 pick, move down just a bit and get DB and early in the 2nd round get Josh Malone from that # 5 pick trade too.

How would that work out for you?

VFL...GBO!!!

That would make my day too.

My only concern with DB going to my Titans is that he's a natural 4-3 DE and I'm not sure how well he'll do in a 3-4 D.

Titans have the # 5 and # 18 picks in the 1st round.

Trade the # 5 pick, move down just a bit and get DB and early in the 2nd round get Josh Malone from that # 5 pick trade too.

How would that work out for you?

VFL...GBO!!!

He'd be a great 3-4 DE imo but wouldn't get as many sacks as 4-3.

This is the best part imo......it's essentially what all of us not named D4H have been saying for 2 years now....

"He's not going to run a fast 40, but if you like tough, violent, high-motor players with production, you'll love him," said an AFC executive. "He kind of reminds me of a young Terrell Suggs coming out of Arizona State."

The praise didn't end there when I spoke to evaluators about Barnett.

"I love the kid," said an AFC college scouting director. " ... He is a great football player with a nasty temperament. I don't understand why some scouts aren't high on him, but he can play for me any day."

Its funny how saying a guy will be a blend of Michael Bennett and Charles Johnson and will start for 10 years in the NFL is considered slander.

I've never for one second said Barnett wouldn't be a good pro. I just don't think he'll be a superstar.

The only NFL superstars coming out of Tennessee this year is Cam Sutton, Alvin Kamara, and Josh Dobbs.

Its funny how saying a guy will be a blend of Michael Bennett and Charles Johnson and will start for 10 years in the NFL is considered slander.

I've never for one second said Barnett wouldn't be a good pro. I just don't think he'll be a superstar.

The only NFL superstars coming out of Tennessee this year is Cam Sutton, Alvin Kamara, and Josh Dobbs.

Dwight-Schrute-LOL.gif

Michael Bennett's College Stats

Charles Johnson's College Stats

In three years Barnett had nearly twice as many sacks as Bennett had in four, and Johnson only played two years but his best year only ties Barnett's lowest year in sacks.

So yeah, if by "blend of Michael Bennett and Charles Johnson" you mean combining the productivity of both players into a single player, then yeah I'd agree.

Reactions: 3 people
Dwight-Schrute-LOL.gif

Michael Bennett's College Stats

Charles Johnson's College Stats

In three years Barnett had nearly twice as many sacks as Bennett had in four, and Johnson only played two years but his best year only ties Barnett's lowest year in sacks.

So yeah, if by "blend of Michael Bennett and Charles Johnson" you mean combining the productivity of both players into a single player, then yeah I'd agree.

I don't compare players based on college stats. Those can be very misleading.

I compare players based on physical measureables, playing style, and athletic ability. Barnett has similar measureables to Charles Johnson in terms of height, weight, and body composition. And he has a similar playing style and athletic ability to Michael Bennett.

I compare players based on physical measureables, playing style, and athletic ability. Barnett has similar measureables to Charles Johnson in terms of height, weight, and body composition. And he has a similar playing style and athletic ability to Michael Bennett.

Considering that Barnett has yet to enter the NFL, their college stats are the only equal metric of comparison.

Even if Barnett has similar physical characteristics, his performance is far beyond either Bennett or Johnson at the same point in their careers.

Reactions: 2 people

Would make my day.

What you run in shorts and measure in an event that you professionally and specifically train for, doesn't translate to the second contract. The Simeon Rice's and Von Miller's that dominated in Super Bowls don't clock the same times as the incarnations that were Combine Gladiators. They're much better players...but slower. Our eyes glaze over at "great motor" and "relentless", but those are the words that describe HOF'ers while eye candy like Mike Mamula and Courtney Brown pay to see them in Canton.

Last edited:

You're giving me a headache

You don't compare players at all. You're just some young schmuck that likes to make guesses then try to pass it off as knowledgeable information.

You know nothing about recruiting. Little to nothing about football itself and absolutely nothing about the potential of college football players going into the NFL.

:hi:

Reactions: 10 people
You don't compare players at all. You're just some young schmuck that likes to make guesses then try to pass it off as knowledgeable information.

You know nothing about recruiting. Little to nothing about football itself and absolutely nothing about the potential of college football players going into the NFL.

:hi:

Freak, can you just hook BB up with a like from everyone not named D4H?

Odds are against it but I believe Barnett will highlight 4 solid careers from these VFLers. Sutton, Malone, Kamara and Barnett all have potential to be special!

Best of luck!

VN Store

Back