Starting Cornerbacks for next year?

CamVol8

A lot of positions are up for grabs next year obviously, but I think CB is one to keep an eye on. Who do you guys think will be the starters in the season opener? Moseley, Martin, and Gaulden all have the experience factor but they all struggled at times last year, especially Martin. I think you could see a guy like Marquill Osborne take over where Sutton left off (before injury) I think our secondary should improve with the new DB coach but we have a lot of unproven players at this position.

Reactions: 3 people
A lot of positions are up for grabs next year obviously, but I think CB is one to keep an eye on. Who do you guys think will be the starters in the season opener? Moseley, Martin, and Gaulden all have the experience factor but they all struggled at times last year, especially Martin. I think you could see a guy like Marquill Osborne take over where Sutton left off (before injury) I think our secondary should improve with the new DB coach but we have a lot of unproven players at this position.

Byrd and the...other guy.

Reactions: 7 people
I'm excited to see this as well. With a new coach, old names could look different. New names could progress.

Remember osbourne has been on campus a year now and may have he size needed.

Gaulden has been injured and this was his first full year back.

What about Byrd, could we really see him at CB? I don't think so, but you never know.:dunno:

Martin can only improve IMO. Hopefully he keeps getting better and never looks back:birgits_giggle:

I think we are going to be much improved. Defense is going to be nasty next year.:rock:

Reactions: 6 people
Really hoping that Martinez was causing the problems with Moseley and Martin. They were pretty awful, and I had high hopes for both. Hopefully Warren can fix all of their problems. Maybe if they are coached to actually turn around and look at the ball they will be better. But Who Knows? Both have very high potential IMO. GBO

Reactions: 1 person
Martin and Moseley will start.

Labruzza and Buchanan will back them up.

Gaulden starts at nickel. Osborne backs him up.

Byrd stays at WR.

Reactions: 4 people
I'm excited to see this as well. With a new coach, old names could look different. New names could progress.

Remember osbourne has been on campus a year now and may have he size needed.

Gaulden has been injured and this was his first full year back.

What about Byrd, could we really see him at CB? I don't think so, but you never know.:dunno:

Martin can only improve IMO. Hopefully he keeps getting better and never looks back:birgits_giggle:

I think we are going to be much improved. Defense is going to be nasty next year.:rock:

Isn't that what people said this last year? "Nasty" "salty" "deadly" " lockdown"?? Hmmmmmm

I think both Martin and Mosely will improve a lot with Coach Warren. I look for Labruzza, Buchanon and Osborne to get a lot of snaps as backups.

If at all possible, I think Coach Warren will keep Gaulden at NB just for continuity.

CB Bailey
CB Moseley
NB Gaulden
FS Byrd
SS Kelly

2nd team

CB Martin
CB LeBruzza
NB Osbourne
FS Warrior
SS Abernathy

Martin and Moseley will start.

Labruzza and Buchanan will back them up.

Gaulden starts at nickel. Osborne backs him up.

Byrd stays at WR.

If Martin and Moseley start, we are in a heap of trouble. We will get torched by every passing team we play and make first year QB 's look like Heisman candidates.

CB: Osborne-Moseley
CB: Martin-Buchanan
S: Warrior-Abernathy
S: Kelly-Griffin
NB: Gaulden-Labruzza

Moseley and Martin have the speed and size to be pretty good at corner. Technique has been off the last two years. The new CB coach hopefully will have them in better position.

I know Gaulden was great his frosh year at nickel but I think he would make a good safety.

Reactions: 2 people
It's not going to happen because of the WR situation, but can you imagine Jauan Jennings playing safety or nickel? I think he would be a better DB than WR in the NFL.

I think Mosley has one side. Now I think Justin Martin has all the talent in the world he just has to buy in. I can see this going one of two ways. He either buys in to coach Warrens no nonsense style and balls out, or he doesn't and he ends up not seeing the field hardly at all. I like Osborne in the nickel position.

Edit: Forgot about Gaulden he is your nickel.

Last edited:
I have a question for all the defensive guru's we have on volnation. We run a 4-2 the majority of the time. I know TkJr has one safety spot locked down but in order to get the best on the field is there any way when we do go to a 4-3 that we could move TkJr to the other olb position? He is a good tackler and could cover the tight end or fullback in case of play action. Then we have Warrior and Berry or who ever else we have playing the other safety. Would something like that work?

Unless Depth, quality depth, shows up on the D Line and LBs stay healthy, Darrelle Revis and Ray Sherman would look like chumps,, cant cover for 5+ seconds.. When Tuttle, Obrien, Mckenzie, and others went down, South Carolina and Vandy ate our corners up, it really wasn't their fault...

CB Bailey
CB Moseley
NB Gaulden
FS Byrd
SS Kelly

2nd team

CB Martin
CB LeBruzza
NB Osbourne
FS Warrior
SS Abernathy

I really hope we bulk up kelly and play him at OLB, i dont think he has the pure speed to be at safety in the SEC. Let warrior and Berry battle ot out for his spot and let him be the best coverage lb on the team.

I have a question for all the defensive guru's we have on volnation. We run a 4-2 the majority of the time. I know TkJr has one safety spot locked down but in order to get the best on the field is there any way when we do go to a 4-3 that we could move TkJr to the other olb position? He is a good tackler and could cover the tight end or fullback in case of play action. Then we have Warrior and Berry or who ever else we have playing the other safety. Would something like that work?

haha didnt see this before i posted my comment. Same thought process

Isn't that what people said this last year? "Nasty" "salty" "deadly" " lockdown"?? Hmmmmmm

Yeah, but Shoop has a couple of his guys on staff now, whereas last year he had to work with what he had. I think we see a much improved D next year, with better coaches on staff and the players having another year in the system. Just NO INJURIES & we'll see an improvement, IMO!

It's not going to happen because of the WR situation, but can you imagine Jauan Jennings playing safety or nickel? I think he would be a better DB than WR in the NFL.

Jennings to QB
Dormady to kicker
S, Jones to WR
Guarentano to RB

I knew someone would

I hope they make the 4-2-5 nonsense a third down and long only set. If Warren can get 4 guys covering what Martinez couldn't with 5 guys, an extra LB can cover the short routes or create pressure like he is meant to. And in the third down package one of the 5 dbs are blitzing, but you never know which one. As to a safety stepping up to LB? I say no. A LB needs to play LB.

But for all that to work, you need enough healthy DL to stay fresh and create consistent pressure. If we can keep a healthy rotation, the defense Shoop wants to run finally can be used.

Kelly, Warrior, and Berry (if healthy) gives you a luxury at S. The Will in Shoop's system is a hybrid but needs to be more of a LB imo than any of UT's current S's... and probably more of a S than any of UT's current LB's. Development at that position will be a key thing to watch as we hope for a big step forward. El. Berry was probably the closest to physically matching the position.

VN Store

Back