Which Power 5 programs can rise in appeal by 2018?

UT_VOLS13

Lab Rat
1. Tennessee (2017 rank: 18)
The incoming athletic director’s profile — whoever it is — will dictate how much this job improves. But just having someone in place will help in terms of providing stability, and that’s the key buzzword right now at Tennessee. A hire is expected in the next month or so.

The facilities are far better than any in the division, and population trends suggest that recruiting in-state will continue to improve.

Which Power 5 programs can rise in appeal by 2018?

Reactions: 4 people
I can agree with this. I think the head coaching position will be open before the start of next season too because I think Butch leaves if he's not let go. I don't think he gets let go, but I do think he bolts for one reason or another. Vols should be a great spot to hire someone at that point.

I can agree with this. I think the head coaching position will be open before the start of next season too because I think Butch leaves if he's not let go. I don't think he gets let go, but I do think he bolts for one reason or another. Vols should be a great spot to hire someone at that point.

Butch Jones doesn't leave he will be owed like 8-11 milliion if he is fired after next year no way he leaves for a lesser job with that kind of buy out on the table!!!

Reactions: 6 people
quoting our own posts huh? can you like 'em too?:eek:lol:

back on topic....i think this is actually pretty accurate. 2018 has the home schedule, will have experience, and if we do well recruiting the what looks to be loads of in state talent this cycle, there's no reason why TN can't move up any list, fairly quickly.

Reactions: 1 person
We have the facilities, fan base, and recruiting budget to be among the best in CFB. We nail this AD hire and the skies the limit.

Reactions: 2 people
If we return to fewer turnovers and penalties and if our QB's are as good as we think I believe we win the East. JMO.

There's a chance butch is fired mid season imo. Lose to GA tech and Florida then slip up against Vandy/scar again would be devastating but realistic

There's a chance butch is fired mid season imo. Lose to GA tech and Florida then slip up against Vandy/scar again would be devastating but realistic

Agree.

There is over a 50% chance he is fired after the season - I think that would occur with losses to Florida, Georgia, Alabama, and LSU.

If he loses any games besides those, I think he's not allowed to finish the season. It's not probable, but it also isn't some very remote possibility that isn't worth bringing up.

If this team gets off on the wrong foot and loses to Tech, or beats Tech and loses to Florida and Georgia, there's a decent chance the wheels come off after that and they lose to South Carolina, Kentucky, Southern Miss, Mizzou, or Vandy.

Last edited:
Agree.

There is over a 50% chance he is fired after the season - I think that would occur with losses to Florida, Georgia, Alabama, and LSU.

If he loses any games besides those, I think he's not allowed to finish the season.

Tennessee has waited to fire coaches the last two times until late in the season. Even Dooley.

So according to Haney, UT is a dumpster fire behind the scenes, but is the most likely program to increase its appeal -- all taking place while Butch is still head coach. Makes complete sense.

#Hack

Last edited:

i think more realistic is that we wind up 7-5, losing to most everyone we're supposed to, and beating everyone we're supposed to, and we'll c ya in Charlotte, or Shreveport or whereever.....

and we'll do it again in 2018.

So according to Haney, UT is a dumpster fire behind the scenes, but is the most likely program to increase its appeal -- all taking place while Butch is still head coach. Makes complete sense.

#Hack

not fair and balanced? :whistling:

We have the facilities, fan base, and recruiting budget to be among the best in CFB. We nail this AD hire and the skies the limit.

I wait for the AD hire. There are two ways of nailing it. And the UT administration has a track record of making poor decisions. Until proven otherwise, everybody on this ship better keep the life jackets on.

Reactions: 4 people

Not gonna happen. Unless the wheels fall completely off next season he's going to be here for 2018 as well. Tons of staff turnover and basically breaking in a new team will buy him time, doesn't matter if it should or not. Plus if you're the new AD I don't think you want to start paying for 2 head coaches again, they just got done with that nonsense. I'm not pro Jones by any stretch but the stadium is full and he's winning bowl games and that's what they'll look at. After the Fulmer/Kiffin/Dooley debacle I'm not sure anyone is eager to take the chance on that path again.

He's here for at least two more seasons. You guys are just dreaming and creating scenarios from what you want. Regardless of next season's record, he'll be here at least until the end of the 2018 season. You don't get fired after inheriting a dumpster fire and then having three winning seasons and winning three bowl games in a row. It'll take two horrendous seasons before he's asked to leave.

But in regards to the article (the original point of the post), I agree. Especially the recent re-emergence of high school talent in the state. It would've been epic to keep Tee Higgins in the class, but signing Ty Chandler, Gray, Bumphus, and Trey Smith was huge. And if this staff is able to keep Alontae Taylor and Cade Mays in this upcoming class, that will only help this upward trend.

This seems to say that the AD has great influence on the on field or court performance of the schools teams. I don't understand this. Granted the position does add stability and the chance for good coach hires, but on field success I don't see how.

This seems to say that the AD has great influence on the on field or court performance of the schools teams. I don't understand this. Granted the position does add stability and the chance for good coach hires, but on field success I don't see how.

it's not directly related, as the AD isn't making the day to day decisions on the field.

but make no mistake, the quality of the organization is definitely a top down mechanism. from direction, purpose, overall culture of how things will be done, and why....

that's all top down. there's a standard to be set, achieved and maintained. and a good portion of that, organizationally, is definitely set at the top.

plus it takes a really strong leader to manage all the personalities involved in big time college athletics. it's not like he has an employee and customer base, like a normal company. you've got academics, BOT, a whole host of coaches and players, boosters, facilities, fans, media, ncaa, sec, and probably several other areas of responsibility to deal with....along with the "customer" and "employees" that also exist.

I bet you said the same thing about Dooley coming into 2012. Jones finishes 2017 with anything less than 8 wins in the regular season, he's finished.

apples to oranges:

dooley: 1 bowl win. 1 winning season out of 6 @tenn= 0 winning seasons/0 bowl wins

butch: 5 bowl wins. 8 winning seasons out of 10
@tenn= 3 winning seasons/3 bowl wins

Butch will get at least two more seasons.

apples to oranges:

dooley: 1 bowl win. 1 winning season out of 6 @tenn= 0 winning seasons/0 bowl wins

butch: 5 bowl wins. 8 winning seasons out of 10
@tenn= 3 winning seasons/3 bowl wins

Butch will get at least two more seasons.

Dooley didn't win a bowl game here. Nevermind I saw my mistake.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back