Updates on AJ Johnson?

Does anyone know what the court of appeals held regarding the phone records? IIRC, the defense filed an interlocutory appeal on that. Last thing I ever heard (granted I haven't been keeping up either).

This was the latest. It's from December. It takes a while to get texts and chat information. A lot of red tape. So the timeline is about right. I would figure around April or May that the defense will have acquired these messages Minus any setbacks in appeals from the prosecution, the evidence to defend these guys should be back in court by June. From their actions, it looks to be true "intent" on the parts of these women to hide this info, and that doesn't look good at all for them.

Judges to decide social media access for ex-UT players Johnson, Williams

Reactions: 10 people
This was the latest. It's from December. It takes a while to get texts and chat information. A lot of red tape. So the timeline is about right. I would figure around April or May that the defense will have acquired these messages Minus any setbacks in appeals from the prosecution, the evidence to defend these guys should be back in court by June. From their actions, it looks to be true "intent" on the parts of these women to hide this info, and that doesn't look good at all for them.

Judges to decide social media access for ex-UT players Johnson, Williams

Thank you!

Reactions: 1 person
Truly amazing how long these things get dragged out. Innocent or guilty, both sides deserve closure, whether that closure be jail or moving on with their lives.

Reactions: 4 people
Too bad UT can't counter sue these girls after dragging these 2 young men and the University through the mud with all the title 9 bs.

Reactions: 19 people
Truly amazing how long these things get dragged out. Innocent or guilty, both sides deserve closure, whether that closure be jail or moving on with their lives.

Totally agree. It's been 2 1/2 years already! How can it possibly take that long to gather evidence that took 20 minutes to take place?

Lets face it. For AJ and Mike the longer this drags out, the less likely a conviction, but the longer they are in limbo.

Don't know what to say for the women involved. No real idea about the facts of what really happened. So I will just leave it there.

I am just tired of this kind of crap involving the teams at UT. One of these days, some brainiac might come up with a seminar presentation for freshman orientation that actually puts a dent in it. At least we can hope.

If the Court of Criminal Appeals rules against the State in the appeal (which the article makes appear likely), the State will almost certainly petition the TN Supreme Court for a hearing on this issue, which the Court could grant or deny. If the Supremes take the case, don't expect a decision from them for months. Of course the defense will appeal a denial as well. Appellate decision could come anytime since oral arguments were in December.

Not sure but I think he is now eligible for Social Security and Medicare.:loco:

Need at least 40 quarters of work to be eligible for Social Security unless he applies for disability. Medicare comes at 65 regardless of work record. He's got a few more years at least.

Lets face it. For AJ and Mike the longer this drags out, the less likely a conviction, but the longer they are in limbo.

Don't know what to say for the women involved. No real idea about the facts of what really happened. So I will just leave it there.

I am just tired of this kind of crap involving the teams at UT. One of these days, some brainiac might come up with a seminar presentation for freshman orientation that actually puts a dent in it. At least we can hope.

What a joke the last part of this statement is unless you are for forced sterilization of both sexes. These are young people whose genitals gets the best of them bot male and female. My concern is about false accusations ruining lives and due process to a speedy trial.

Good grief it's crazy that this has dragged on this long, a total breakdown of the system.

Actually when this happens it is normally the defense trying to take advantage of the system. Witnesses move away and on with their life. Some won't want to take the time to come testify. Also people forget things. If I asked you about what you did at work yesterday you could tell me in good detail what happened, but if I asked you what you did at work 3 years ago you wouldn't be as sure.

Defense attorneys use doubt to flip a jury. Something as simple as asking a witness
"was it cold that night?"
"Yea, we were planning on going to a bonfire"
"Well in the police report it says when they showed up you were outside in a tank top and shorts smoking"
"Ok, I guess it wasn't that cold"
"Ma'am, you just told the jury you remember that night like it was yesterday, and now you're telling me you don't even remember if it was cold"

And just like that some members of the jury will question her entire testimony.

Now a good prosecutor will challenge the line of questions and prep the witnesses to testify by going over all the evidence, but the longer this drags out the more likely AJ is to get off free.

Reactions: 5 people
My youngest son (I have a 26 year old, a 16, and 10 y.o.) hung an old Tn poster on his wall the other day. It was from 2012 and featured #45. I looked at it for a bit then it dawned on me, oh yeah ... good luck brother AJ.

Actually when this happens it is normally the defense trying to take advantage of the system. Witnesses move away and on with their life. Some won't want to take the time to come testify. Also people forget things. If I asked you about what you did at work yesterday you could tell me in good detail what happened, but if I asked you what you did at work 3 years ago you wouldn't be as sure.

Defense attorneys use doubt to flip a jury. Something as simple as asking a witness
"was it cold that night?"
"Yea, we were planning on going to a bonfire"
"Well in the police report it says when they showed up you were outside in a tank top and shorts smoking"
"Ok, I guess it wasn't that cold"
"Ma'am, you just told the jury you remember that night like it was yesterday, and now you're telling me you don't even remember if it was cold"

And just like that some members of the jury will question her entire testimony.

Now a good prosecutor will challenge the line of questions and prep the witnesses to testify by going over all the evidence, but the longer this drags out the more likely AJ is to get off free.

I agree with what your saying, still I think the wheels of justice should move faster. It's pretty obvious to me the defense is stalling and at some point it's just too much, and too me this is too much. JHMO. GBO!

I agree with what your saying, still I think the wheels of justice should move faster. It's pretty obvious to me the defense is stalling and at some point it's just too much, and too me this is too much. JHMO. GBO!

True, it does take too long sometimes, remember hearing about a murder trial that was delayed for like 8 years. Our justice system was set up to completely remove some of the things that made the British judicial system horrible during the time of the Revolution, mainly false imprisonment. One of the ideas is that we would rather see 99 guilty men go free if it means 1 innocent man isn't locked up. This is why the preponderance of guilt falls on the prosecution proving someone is guilty rather than assumed guilt and having to prove innocence.

Reactions: 2 people

The KPD and DA confiscated the guys' phones as evidence, but they didn't do the same for the girls'phones, Later when requested those phones had been lost, broken, or gone missing. The defense is trying to access phone records which is very reasonable considering everything comes down to "he said, she said". This is all about pending court rulings regarding access to electronic records - it's a new day, the courts are playing catch up, and service providers are trying to dodge any kind of accountability.

Reactions: 3 people

VN Store

Back