Most memorable UT game you have ever been too?

jhcrane14

Rocky Top!!!
With the offseason here I figured I would ask YOU "Volnation" what's the most memorable UT game you have ever been too?

I'm torn. I was at the 04' UFvsUT game when we beat Florida and went on to win the SEC East...the largest game ever in UT history 109,061...Neyland was ROCKING!!!!

However, when I was 12 years old my dad got both him and I tickets to the 97' Citrus Bowl between UTvsNW...I got them on Christmas morning...such a special memory.

As I grow older I look back on my life and realize I was so blessed to see Peyton Manning play. Also, at that time it was Peyton's junior year and there was the wide speculation that he may leave for the NFL. So as a kid at that time I didn't fully understand what that game really meant.

So while the 04'' UFvsUT game was an amazing experience...it is probably still #2 on my list. Just because I have so many great memories from the 97' Citrus Bowl with my dad.

For those of you who don't remember...this is the game I'm talking about.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AYItmece5T8

IMO this is the most memorable sporting event I have even been too.

What yours?

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
1959, UT beat #1 LSU 14-13 in my oldest real memory of a game and one of the all time greats.

1998, Spurrier returns to FL and comes to Neyland to lose something like 45-3. Welcome back to Tennessee!

(I was corrected ... that was '90)

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 people
I suspect we'll get a bunch of different recalls but the 2016 UF game is hard to beat, especially given it broke an 11 game win streak AND we came from way back and demoralized as well as demolished them at home.

Reactions: 4 people
1995 @ Legion Field

The bammers were so angry. One pelted me with open mustard and ketchup packets.

I blame Peyton.

Reactions: 5 people
1959, UT beat #1 LSU 14-13 in my oldest real memory of a game and one of the all time greats.

1998, Spurrier returns to FL and comes to Neyland to lose something like 45-3. Welcome back to Tennessee!

That game with Florida was in 1990. I was there, too. For me it is the 1982 win over Bama. My senior season. The sky was blue and the Worlds Fair was still in town. An incredible confluence of events that made it so memorable.

Reactions: 5 people
'86 Sugar Bowl THE underdogs did it! I was stuck sitting around Miami fans and no one gave the Vols a shot to win. Win they did in a dominating performance

Reactions: 7 people
1985 Auburn and Miami
1990 Florida
1985 Alabama - because that is the only time I have witnessed us beat Bama in person.
1990 Notre Dame - a loss I know, but a great football game.

Ainge Florida game we won with the 50+ fg.

Haha, I am such an idiot...I'm getting so old I am getting my games mixed up. It was the 04' game I was at not 98'...because I was in college. I have no idea how I did that. Your comment reminded me it was the 04' game I was at. I remember Wilhot long kick to win the game.

It was an honest mistake. Please forgive me :(

Reactions: 1 person
1995 @ Legion Field

The bammers were so angry. One pelted me with open mustard and ketchup packets.

I blame Peyton.

The ones that sat near me were very good. They knew what was coming and had resigned themselves to the outcome.
After the first play from scrimmage I knew what was going to happen also.

Tie between 82 Alabama game and 85 Auburn game.

'82 Bama game. Neyland stadium gave Coach Bryant a standing ovation when he came out on the field. Made me proud to be a VOL. Then, TN took it to Bama for four quarters and the win. It's something I'll never forget. Class by the crowd - class by the team.

Reactions: 3 people
The ones that sat near me were very good. They knew what was coming and had resigned themselves to the outcome.
After the first play from scrimmage I knew what was going to happen also.
it could have something to do with how much i stood up and cheered. It was early and often.

6 ot vols over ark the vols should have lost that game alex walls was hurt and they had to use the back up his kick got block but got thru the uprights and then arkansas kicker shanked his kick had my nerves all messed up great game

Other honorable mentions

Good:
1998 Florida
1998/1999 Fiesta Bowl
2001 Florida (Ha ha, g/f at time (now wife) decked UF student after game)
2004 Florida
1997 LSU-UF game (LSU won which gave UT the East)

Bad:
1996 Univ of Memphis
2010 LSU
2001 LSU (2nd game, not the first where LSU forgot to cover K. Washington)
2006 FLorida (blown call won them a national title)

1977 Notre Dame beat down 40-17 with Hubert Simpson.
1980 Georgia Herschel coming out game. We were robbed.
1980 USC game and Alatorre's interception for their last second field goal for a USC win that should have been Fuad's.
1982 Bama game. Mike Terry's interception in the end zone to seal it.

That game with Florida was in 1990. I was there, too. For me it is the 1982 win over Bama. My senior season. The sky was blue and the Worlds Fair was still in town. An incredible confluence of events that made it so memorable.

Indeed it was '90. I could claim typo but it was just my weak memory.

VN Store

Back