2017-2018 Season Discussion- All opinions welcome.

TNJOKER

I do realize there has been several posting's on this very topic. However, I am not sure on how many registered volunteer fans there is on this site.. BUT.. 2017 football season is fast approaching.. Spring practice is about to resume for this season in full force.

Is there anyone out there who is as excited about TENNESSEE FOOTBALL for this upcoming season as I?? Granted, last season should have been THE YEAR.. Seems as if that has been the moniker for UT for a decade now (Literally). With that being said... Lets look at it from a different angle....

bUTch Jones has decided to get rid of the cancers within the program and has decided to upgrade his staff to compete with the rest of the SEC.. We have a world class Defense Backs coach.. A new QB coach, A new OC, A second term DC..and a possible Tennessee Alumni AD.

We have over 20 seniors coming back next year... A fresh QB.. a new S & C coach/coordinator. I am not saying we have a NC coming our way.. BUT.. This upcoming season.. we should do some really good things..

So many things are going our way for next year..If the good lord above shines down on this team and the stars align ever so perfectly... Next season should be a good one IMO..

Does anyone else have any input for the upcoming season?? Good bad or different.. sum all of it up on this page.

All Sunshine Pumpers and Negavols welcome.

GBO! :yahoo:

Reactions: 3 people
My opinion:

2017 will live and die by the new QB. There will be a lot of ups and a lot of downs because of it.

Reactions: 4 people
I agree with Catbone and am a little excited about the possibility of good qb play.
Hell, why not.

Reactions: 1 person
The 17 team could go 6-6 and be looking at a new coach in 18 or they could go 11-2 and win the East. It will depend on how the breaks go and whether or not Butch learned from his mistakes in 15 and 16. A very good season is there for the taking. Will Butch take advantage or will he blow his chance again?

Anything is possible and nothing is impossible.

Plenty to be concerned about and just as much to be excited for.

Expectations are as high as ever, who are we to back down.

Get it together Butch.

Excited? Meh... More just like it is what it is at this point. Tired of getting excited only to be let down. This may change closer to season and I have hope for JG, but not really invested at this point. I am all volunteer basketball right now though too, so that may play a role in my lack of enthusiasm.

Reactions: 2 people
I expect the defense will play better as a unit even tho it lost a lot of production and leadership. On the flip, I expect the offense to take a step back for those same reasons.

The D staff is now the strength of the coaching staff. I think it upgraded at every change. Feel pretty much the opposite about the other side of the ball.

Jones starts QD lost experience but not the best chance to win ball games

QD may be the starter based off him making the right read, but don't bet the farm against CBJ putting the #1 rated duel threat QB prospect from 2017 signing class on the bench. JG is the prototype QB for the offense JD ran lady year. Major adjustments would be needed to put QD in as QB. Larry Scott said they would mold our offense to fit our players. We all have to wait and see and expect the best.

Release the Beast!

Agree with other posts here, The new QB will decide the season..

I expect to have a decent middle of the pack defense...maybe upper middle..60 to 70%

I like the RB's we have..
Like our receivers..

OL and QB are my two question marks, and those are big questions marks, arguably the two most important.

With that said 14-0 NC, same thing I say every year :)

Agree with other posts here, The new QB will decide the season..

I expect to have a decent middle of the pack defense...maybe upper middle..60 to 70%

I like the RB's we have..
Like our receivers..

OL and QB are my two question marks, and those are big questions marks, arguably the two most important.

With that said 14-0 NC, same thing I say every year :)

Experience isn't always the answer.. QD has the capability of being the starter.. but JG has the talent.. Offensive Line was an issue.. Our defense looked like swiss cheese. Lack of power house play calling on both sides of the ball cost us wins.

Jones starts QD lost experience but not the best chance to win ball games

Yeah, from what all the talking heads on Knoxville radio say JG has some talent that hasn't been seen on the hill in a long time. However a lot of them said the same things about Riley Ferguson, so I am cautiously optimistic. All that being said I think Jones will start QD and I think he will stick with him through the season.

We lost a ton of starters and talent including the QB. This is a reset year so if you're expecting to win the east or a natty this year forget about it. 7-5 is a realistic possibility but the Butch haters shouldn't get excited because it won't and shouldn't get CBJ fired. If we somehow won 9 this season I'd actually be impressed with CBJ.

Prove me wrong team 121!

We lost a ton of starters and talent including the QB. This is a reset year so if you're expecting to win the east or a natty this year forget about it. 7-5 is a realistic possibility but the Butch haters shouldn't get excited because it won't and shouldn't get CBJ fired. If we somehow won 9 this season I'd actually be impressed with CBJ.

Prove me wrong team 121!

Not a Butch hater. Hope he does great. That said, I respectfully question your statement that 7-5 won't nor shouldn't get BJ fired. That record gives every indication to what a lot of people on VN are saying - BJ's ceiling is 9 wins. That doesn't make the expectation grade for Rocky Top fans. To me he should only survive a 7 win season if two of those seven wins are over Bammer or LSU as well as Florida. Of course that means the team will have lost 3 or even 4 games it was probably favored in. If those 5 losses are Georgia, Florida, Bammer, LSU, and one of the traditional bottom 3 SECe teams, BJ should definitely be out. That's 3-5 in the SEC which would be two seasons in a row where the team digressed in conference, a real killer for recruiting.

Reactions: 4 people
Looking fwd to LSU game, have not seen them in Neyland in awhile.

All Western Division teams (other than Bama) will play @ Neyland only once during an 8 year period. Better enjoy them this year, they won't be back until 2025.

I know it's a road game, but I'm looking forward to our next trip to Jordan-Hare.

No need to feel that way. The red shirt has happened and the QB that will give us the best chance to win will be on the field from our 1st possesion to our last.

Actually, I've heard several people, including Ainge, give the opinion that both qbs will very likely play quite a bit early in the season until one of them clearly separates himself.

VN Store

Back