13 SEC running backs to watch and zero Vols??!!

The SEC is about to be introduced to John Kelly. I don't care who ESPN portrays as RB's to watch. I KNOW which one I will be watching. Kid is special.

Reactions: 28 people
The 2017 season could be another big one for SEC running backs - SEC Blog- ESPN

Kelly not mentioned at all. ESPN hates us again? Are there really 13 running backs in the SEC that are better than anyone the Vols have?

I know this isn't an explicit ranking of who the best RBs are but you can read between the lines pretty well.

I love John Kelly, but as a back up running back in two season he hasn't reached 800 yards. Most of us here think Kelly will do great things for us. Lets not overreact because ESPN isn't gushing over a mediocre team. Every back they listed is a proven asset. Have a good season this season and we will be back in the headlines.

Reactions: 9 people
I love John Kelly, but as a back up running back in two season he hasn't reached 800 yards. Most of us here think Kelly will do great things for us. Lets not overreact because ESPN isn't gushing over a mediocre team. Every back they listed is a proven asset. Have a good season this season and we will be back in the headlines.

His first season and half of last season he was third string playing mop up duty. Where are all these yards you're expecting supposed to come from? When you did see him play, you can see the skill and determination is there to be a special player for us.

Reactions: 13 people
Blame Butch for not giving the kid enough carries to get a reasonable read on him.

I'm not a big fan of Butch but with Hurd and Kamara, I'm not sure how many carries we could expect him to get. We caught a glimse of Kelly after Hurd bailed on his team and he looks like the real deal. Kelly not being on the radar at this point is not really a concern for me.

Reactions: 16 people
Blame Butch for not giving the kid enough carries to get a reasonable read on him.
I think the coaching staff have a good read on Kelly. He was just no 3 behind two really good guys with more experience. If the o-line can do a good job run blocking next year, he will show ESPN and everyone else what he can do.

Reactions: 3 people
Top Dawgs: Ranking the SEC running back depth charts

1. Georgia: Sr. Nick Chubb, Sr. Sony Michel

2. Auburn: Jr. Kamryn Pettway, Jr. Kerryon Johnson

3. Alabama: Jr. Damien Harris, Jr. Bo Scarbrough

4. Arkansas: Jr. Rawleigh Williams, Soph. Devwah Whaley

5. LSU: Jr. Derrius Guice, Sr. Darrel Williams

6. Vanderbilt: Sr. Ralph Webb, Jr. Khari Blasingame

7. Texas A&M: Soph. Trayveon Williams, Sr. Keith Ford

8. Missouri: Soph. Damarea Crockett, Sr. Ish Witter

9. Kentucky: Soph. Benny Snell, Jr. Siheim King

10. Florida: Jr. Jordan Scarlett, Soph. Lamical Perine

11. South Carolina: Soph. Rico Dowdle, Soph. A.J. Turner

12. Tennessee: Jr. John Kelly, Soph. Carlin Fils-aime

13. Mississippi State: Jr. Aeris Williams, Fr. Kylin Hill

14. Ole Miss: Sr. Eugene Brazley, Sr. Jordan Wilkins

Reactions: 1 person
Top Dawgs: Ranking the SEC running back depth charts

1. Georgia: Sr. Nick Chubb, Sr. Sony Michel

2. Auburn: Jr. Kamryn Pettway, Jr. Kerryon Johnson

3. Alabama: Jr. Damien Harris, Jr. Bo Scarbrough

4. Arkansas: Jr. Rawleigh Williams, Soph. Devwah Whaley

5. LSU: Jr. Derrius Guice, Sr. Darrel Williams

6. Vanderbilt: Sr. Ralph Webb, Jr. Khari Blasingame

7. Texas A&M: Soph. Trayveon Williams, Sr. Keith Ford

8. Missouri: Soph. Damarea Crockett, Sr. Ish Witter

9. Kentucky: Soph. Benny Snell, Jr. Siheim King

10. Florida: Jr. Jordan Scarlett, Soph. Lamical Perine

11. South Carolina: Soph. Rico Dowdle, Soph. A.J. Turner

12. Tennessee: Jr. John Kelly, Soph. Carlin Fils-aime

13. Mississippi State: Jr. Aeris Williams, Fr. Kylin Hill

14. Ole Miss: Sr. Eugene Brazley, Sr. Jordan Wilkins

UGA at 1? from what i saw last yr that combo was pretty garbage asfter chubbs injuries

I like Kelly, kid runs angry, but there's just no logical reason for anyone without some kind of bias to project him above a number of more proven RB going into next season.

Obviously the hope is that it won't take many games for Kelly's name to be recognized by lots of people outside our fanbase.

Reactions: 1 person
John Kelly has the potential to be a really good running back, but the SEC is returning a ton of RB talent in 2017, and his numbers just don't compare to other backs. Not having him the upper echelons isn't a slight, it's just the state of the current field of competition. He'll have plenty of time to prove he's a top SEC back next season.

Reactions: 4 people
His first season and half of last season he was third string playing mop up duty. Where are all these yards you're expecting supposed to come from? When you did see him play, you can see the skill and determination is there to be a special player for us.

Where did I mention any yards I expected? I said don't expect people to gush over a running back that hasn't proven anything. In simple terms, we all know what we have in Kelly, why are we talking about this?

Did he not lead all TN RBs as a 3rd string mop up guy?

Kelly looks good. I'm hoping one of the incoming guys is as nice of a surprise as Kelly was.

:rock:

Did he not lead all TN RBs as a 3rd string mop up guy?

Actually no. Began the season as third string, but wound up getting a lot of playing time the second half of the season due to Hurd's dismissal and Kamara's injury. Started vs Tenn Tech and split time with Kamara the last 5 games of the season. He was actually our leading ball carrier 4 times last year and our second leading ball carrier a couple other times.

So no, he wasn't our "3rd string mop up guy". That being said, he's gonna open the eyes of some analysts and media guys this year imo. We all know what we have in Kelly, they don't seem to yet.

Last edited:
I've got mixed feelings about Hurd.

He was fun to watch and I thank him for that but the way he ended it was out of line.

VN Store

Back