Best OC in Tennessee history

Randy Sanders won a NC as our OC. Just saying... /blue font

I don't know this to be true, but i have heard from multiple former players and coaches that Randy Sanders may have been the best coach they had ever met. Not sure why it didn't work out for him. And i don't mean i heard this as an insider or anything, just guys during interviews and such.

Reactions: 1 person
Cut is the best I witnessed. Debord did better than I expected but he wasn't great.

In before someone references record breaking rushing numbers. The number of plays per game is up so obviously numbers will be inflated

Reactions: 3 people
Historically, Cutcliff. Most under appreciated OC we've had is Debord. He did a pretty good job while he was here.

Reactions: 3 people
I don't know this to be true, but i have heard from multiple former players and coaches that Randy Sanders may have been the best coach they had ever met. Not sure why it didn't work out for him. And i don't mean i heard this as an insider or anything, just guys during interviews and such.

Our offensive production dropped pretty much every year he was OC. The team was sloppy and undisciplined on offense. It wasn't unusual to get 3-4 delay of game calls in a single game. Sanders insisted on reading the D himself and then changing the call from the sideline on practically every play, which I thought was a horrible way to operate.

I could add some other stuff I heard, but the evidence doesn't add up to him being a great OC.

Maybe he was popular with the players? Which goes to the lack of discipline.

I will say this...as frustrated as I was with him, at least when he was here, we were not as awful as the Dooley years. With of course, the exception of 2005....

Phil fulmer was as good an OC as we have had. Walt Harris did a great job in establishing the system here. Fulmer and Cutcliffe learned the Harris system. Cut got his training from Fulmer.

Reactions: 10 people
Our offensive production dropped pretty much every year he was OC. The team was sloppy and undisciplined on offense. It wasn't unusual to get 3-4 delay of game calls in a single game. Sanders insisted on reading the D himself and then changing the call from the sideline on practically every play, which I thought was a horrible way to operate.

I could add some other stuff I heard, but the evidence doesn't add up to him being a great OC.

I will say this...as frustrated as I was with him, at least when he was here, we were not as awful as the Dooley years. With of course, the exception of 2005....

Yeah, i noticed much the same which is why i found it confusing to hear and was hoping someone knew more about it. The interviews i heard where more like "great football mind" type stuff, maybe it did translate to the players for whatever reason. I don't pretend to know any behind the scene stuff.

My belief would be coach Cut for best OC. I think he is one of the best coaches in CFB. What he does with the talent he gets at Duke is just crazy.

Fulmer? :p

I'll go with Cut, but totally agree that Debord was much better than some give him credit for.

True story. I sat in an upper corner of the stadium for the Music City Bowl. Towards the end of the first quarter, an usher came up and started talking to some fans to our left, mostly Vol fans, that were sitting next to the aisle. I heard the usher say "I don't know exactly what's going on here, but if there is any more cussing someone is going to leave". My buddy and I just kind of looked at each other, because we hadn't heard anything.

Then the game proceeded, and everything was calm for most of the game. But towards the end of the 3rd quarter, some fans started to trickle out and it got easier to hear, and also apparently the person being reprimanded got bolder, because I think the fans lodging the complaint (who had small children) left.

And suddenly, every other word was an Fbomb, usually at the top of his lungs, for one character I am ashamed to say was a Vol. He was roughly 30 and looked to be ex-military (had a shirt on with some unit designation or other) but was sloppily dressed. Yes. He was LITERALLY showing his ass! His pants would not stay around his waist and you could see about half his crack.

So....about midway through the 4th, game well in hand, Tennessee runs up the middle and is stopped after a one yard game. Mr. Ass Crack, reeling from the alcohol, slaps his buddy on the back and screams "That's f---ing Debord for you!".

Yeah. So which one of you Debord critics was that? :eek:lol:

And...I am dead serious. That explains a lot! :eek:lol::eek:lol::eek:lol::eek:lol::eek:lol:

I say Cutcliff. The second one is Sanders. I say this because Fulmer would constantly override him and change the plays he wanted to call. That was alright with him though because Sanders took all the heat.

Think about this. Sanders went on to beat us as OC of a Ky team using a WR as the QB. Then went to Fla St and won another NC.

Coach Cut got great results but also had the best talent to work with. I liked Sanders and felt he was a victim of circumstance as the program declined. Walt Harris deserves credit for installing his system we used for ever.

Reactions: 2 people
Phil fulmer was as good an OC as we have had. Walt Harris did a great job in establishing the system here. Fulmer and Cutcliffe learned the Harris system. Cut got his training from Fulmer.

Cut got his training from Fulmer. Fulmer was an offensive line guy, and Cut was more a skill-position coach. Here's what I remember of Fulmer as OC, losing to bama 9-6 when he had a great offense.

So you are 4 years old and already posting on Volnation?

Well, statistically speaking, he produced the most prolific offense in 120 years. So depends on how you look at it. Personally, I think he did well, but made some bad decisions in key times. Is that on him or Butch? No idea.

Discipline started being a problem on the entire roster, but that isn't entirely on Sanders. But since he left, his successes and failures has been a reflection of the talent he has had available.

VN Store

Back