Best DC in Tennessee history

IknoxvolsI

Some of you old timers will be able to go back further than me. I'm curious as to who everyone thinks was the best DC here? Monty was the last good one. Chavis is legendary although I give him credit for losing several games. Donahue is perhaps my choice due to his gambling defenses and the Sugar Vols. But, he also took the fall for the terrible '88 season. What say ya'll?

He got blamed when things went wrong more than was fair - IMO Chavis is the best we had going back the last 25 years or so.

Reactions: 3 people
He got blamed more than was fair - IMO Chavis is the best we had going back the last 25 years or so.

I always remember cringing if the game was close. Especially if he put in the prevent defense. Seemed that defense prevented us from winning a few times. Namely UGA and FLA.

Monty seemed to do well. At first I didn't like Berry being moved up to rover but it seemed to work out well.

Donahue did well till everybody figured out how to play against that D then it was all over.

Reactions: 2 people
I always remember cringing if the game was close. Especially if he put in the prevent defense. Seemed that defense prevented us from winning a few times. Namely UGA and FLA.

Monty seemed to do well. At first I didn't like Berry being moved up to rover but it seemed to work out well.

Donahue did well till everybody figured out how to play against that D then it was all over.

Monty was above average. Nothing special.

I can still see Dexter McCluster carving up our D.

Ken Donahue. As far as Chavis, no DC who's widely known/mocked for giving up 3rd and longs over and over and over again can be the best imo.

Ken Donahue only lasted 4 seasons.

2 of which were highly disappointing (86, 88).

Best ever? Hardly

Reactions: 1 person
Ken Donahue. As far as Chavis, no DC who's widely known/mocked for giving up 3rd and longs over and over and over again can be the best imo.
I'm in the Donahue pool. Chavis, really like him, but Spurrier owned him, no can do for best of all time as UT DC for that reason alone. Shoop is 1-0 against the gators, Chavis was what 1 or 2 to a gazillion? lol

I'm in the Donahue pool. Chavis, really like him, but Spurrier owned him, no can do for best of all time as UT DC for that reason alone. Shoop is 1-0 against the gators, Chavis was what 1 or 2 to a gazillion? lol

Chavis won the NC with '98 Vols as DC - show some respect.

Reactions: 2 people

Using the same logic, Donahue was "owned" by Alabama. He was 1-3 against them, and gave up 56, 41, and 28 points in the three losses

After the 1985 season, which admittedly was one of the best Vol defenses outside the Neyland era, Donahue's defenses were pretty average, and looked like a total mess altogether in 1988.

Yes sir, Chief had trouble with Spurrier. Although, that last game against Spurrier at Florida was a thing of beauty, imo. Yes, I know he gave up 32 points, but we scored 34. Switching the DL around and into a standing position was a great change of pace and most importantly worked. At least, enough, to get the win

If Chavis is the GOAT for UT, then we can still do better. Not to knock him, he was really good for a time with great players at both UT and LSU (he was also infamous for lack of recruiting involvement btw), but many other SEC schools have had better.

VN Store

Back