nfl.com Mock Draft: Kamara #19, Barnett #22

spudvol

Mock Draft

Pick No. 19
TB
Alvin Kamara
RB
Tennessee
The Bucs can’t rely on Doug Martin any longer; Kamara is a three-down back who would fit perfectly in this offense.

Pick No.22
MIA
Derek Barnett
DE
Tennessee
Barnett won’t test very well, but he is extremely productive and plays with a relentless motor.

Reactions: 7 people
there are "football guys" earlier in the draft that won't use the combine as the end all, be all when it comes to elite defensive ends. nobody has enough of them, and there's more than a couple in the top 15 that need 'em. i know no one has him going to the Panthers, but if you look at them, they need RB, OT, and DE. and Gettleman has shown that he'll run home to mama and draft a def lineman that may appear to go against the grain. charles johnson is getting older, addision may get go away, so that leaves them fairly thin, and aging at that spot, and barnett reminds me a lot charles johnson, and could probably fit in to that defense pretty easily. so that's a possibly in the top 10.

i don't necessarily agree that Kamara is a 3 down back, at least right now. but in the right situation, i could see him being like Laveon Bell. not necessarily the size you'd expect from a 3 down back, but has a running style and speed, if in the right situation, that can work. plus he's a good pass catcher. he'd have to get better as a pass blocker, but i think that's something he'll handle just fine. TB may be a good landing spot for him, if a lot of the other guys are gone at that point. and opposite of what will happen to barnett, i expect Kamara to rise on a lot of team's boards after the combine.

Reactions: 1 person
Hope both fall a little further to later in the first round to two of the better more stable, successful franchises....would be best for their careers.

Hope both fall a little further to later in the first round to two of the better more stable, successful franchises....would be best for their careers.

ok, so the panthers had a bad year...but they're a year removed from the superbowl, and they won 3 consecutive NFC division titles. they have a franchise qb, 2 sold WR's, a good Oline, and a defense that has two good/great DT's, and younger DE's on the one side of the line, and a retooled secondary.

last year not withstanding, i don't think the panthers would be a bad place at all for DB....

of course, i'm a little bias. but......it's not like we're JAX or CLE....

Tb has a fantastic offense with a solid QB, top 10 WR and a good TE. They are an up and coming team where Kamara would be a great fit. I wouldn't be surprised if he actually is drafted ahead of Barnett. That might be great for Barnett as well if he is drafted later in the 1st by a contender than playing "where dreams go to die" aka Browns.

Barnett won’t test very well, but he is extremely productive and plays with a relentless motor.

If you watch his tape and then decide not to draft him because of the 40 he ran in shorts then it's likely you aren't a successful team anyways

Reactions: 27 people
ok, so the panthers had a bad year...but they're a year removed from the superbowl, and they won 3 consecutive NFC division titles. they have a franchise qb, 2 sold WR's, a good Oline, and a defense that has two good/great DT's, and younger DE's on the one side of the line, and a retooled secondary.

last year not withstanding, i don't think the panthers would be a bad place at all for DB....

of course, i'm a little bias. but......it's not like we're JAX or CLE....

Haven't looked specifically where each team is picking, just know, obviously, that the better teams/winning franchises will pick later in the round rather than earlier. Want to see our guys succeed and Im comfortable with the general idea that their respective careers are better served if they wind up with the Patriots or Steelers or Packers rather than the Jaguars or Bengals or Vikings. That's all I'm saying....want our guys to be set up for as much success as possible.

If you watch his tape and then decide not to draft him because of the 40 he ran in shorts then it's likely you aren't a successful team anyways

How's it work out when you REALLY like* the 40 time in shorts though? It goes both ways.

*kind of a shot at the Raiders

Tb has a fantastic offense with a solid QB, top 10 WR and a good TE. They are an up and coming team where Kamara would be a great fit. I wouldn't be surprised if he actually is drafted ahead of Barnett. That might be great for Barnett as well if he is drafted later in the 1st by a contender than playing "where dreams go to die" aka Browns.

sadly,i agree. i think TB has a high ceiling right now.

i don't want them to get better. and i'd like at least one of these 2 to go a team i could get behind sometimes.:crossfingers::)

Haven't looked specifically where each team is picking, just know, obviously, that the better teams/winning franchises will pick later in the round rather than earlier. Want to see our guys succeed and in comfortable with the general idea that their respective careers are better served if they wind up with the Patriots or Steelers or Packers rather than the Jaguars or Bengals or Vikings. That's all I'm saying....want our guys to be set up for as much success as possible.

me too.

Haven't looked specifically where each team is picking, just know, obviously, that the better teams/winning franchises will pick later in the round rather than earlier. Want to see our guys succeed and Im comfortable with the general idea that their respective careers are better served if they wind up with the Patriots or Steelers or Packers rather than the Jaguars or Bengals or Vikings. That's all I'm saying....want our guys to be set up for as much success as possible.

The Vikings might not be so bad...they were hit hard by injuries last year...but your point is still sound. Maybe replace Vikings with Browns.

There is no way that the Bucs would pass on Barnett and take Kamara. Their needs in order are safety, WR, DL, TE, RB. Hopefully they will throw open the vault to Eric Berry in free agency. If that happens then DB to Tampa at 19 is a strong possibility.

If Barnett makes it past the panthers I'll be very disappointed in my team

:thumbsup: agreed. he'd fit well. it'll be kinda hard to turn down a rb, especially if LF or DC is available, but you can get Rb's later in the draft, and stew is still gonna be here for at least 1 more year.

CJ is getting old. addison is probably gone. you got Ealy, and what, Wes Horton? yeah, we need quality at DE, and Gettleman is one of those GM's that would take a "football player" there.

:thumbsup: agreed. he'd fit well. it'll be kinda hard to turn down a rb, especially if LF or DC is available, but you can get Rb's later in the draft, and stew is still gonna be here for at least 1 more year.

CJ is getting old. addison is probably gone. you got Ealy, and what, Wes Horton? yeah, we need quality at DE, and Gettleman is one of those GM's that would take a "football player" there.

It's all speculation of course but most of what I've seen is RB (Fournette or CooK) or S with the Panther's first pick.

I get it the hot pick or the flashy pick is Fournette or cook but with the Stanford coach getting a bump he could sell them on a late pick for McCafferey sp? Anyway, like you said Johnson isn't getting any younger and his production practically fallen on its face. Sure up the front 7 with Barnett, hopefully get a solid RB, then draft a LT or RT

It's all speculation of course but most of what I've seen is RB (Fournette or CooK) or S with the Panther's first pick.

yeah, i've seen all those too. the wildcard here is gettleman. he loves the hog mollies on the def line, and had done it with the giants and panthers...taking a dt/de in a spot where many think something else....

there's a track record there, but won't know til draft day.

yeah, i've seen all those too. the wildcard here is gettleman. he loves the hog mollies on the def line, and had done it with the giants and panthers...taking a dt/de in a spot where many think something else....

there's a track record there, but won't know til draft day.

I'll lose a little faith in Gettlemen if it's not Barnett. Top 5 talent falls to 8 plus you get a pro bowl replacement for aging vet.

Win win

I get it the hot pick or the flashy pick is Fournette or cook but with the Stanford coach getting a bump he could sell them on a late pick for McCafferey sp? Anyway, like you said Johnson isn't getting any younger and his production practically fallen on its face. Sure up the front 7 with Barnett, hopefully get a solid RB, then draft a LT or RT

don't forget, we have a ton of $$$ to spend in free agency too. this should be a fairly interesting off season for the Panthers, relatively speaking anyway.

don't forget, we have a ton of $$$ to spend in free agency too. this should be a fairly interesting off season for the Panthers, relatively speaking anyway.

I don't remember one offseason when we spent money in FA when we needed to.

Maybe the Steven Davis deal.

There's an old saying about two brothers who both grew up and left home. One became a fisherman, and one became the Vice President, and neither were ever heard from again. I feel like the same could be said for first round draft picks by the Cleveland Browns. #RIPMylesGarrett'sCareer

Don't shoot the messenger, but Kamara isn't going in the first round. RB is insanely deep this year and it's become one of the least important (i.e., easily fungible) positions in the sport. There have only been a handful of 1st round RBs in the past decade, and Kamara wasn't even a starter on his own college team. Kamara's a very good player, but I don't know where projections like this are coming from.

Reactions: 3 people
I don't think Barnett would make it past the Skins at 17 (I don't think he'll be there at 17).

My Giants pick at #23 IIRC. While I think a couple major needs are a high-quality LB or TE, I think it'd be pretty cool to see some former Vols go to us. Kamara would be fun to watch. Could learn from Jennings. Vereen hasn't been able to stay healthy, & that former UCLA back who was a rookie this past season (forgetting name)...I like what I see, but he's not as much of a pass-catching back, not necessarily ready to "take the reigns".

Also, *if we don't hang onto JPP, then would love to see us nab Barnett. That said, JPP had a very solid comeback year, & I'm hoping we keep him.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back