State of the Program

etsuvol13

Can I has more hot pocket
Former players, Alumni, and fellow vol fans:

Today on campus, a trainer spent extra time with a student athlete who needed it, and did his/her part to lift the physical ability of an individual to his maximum potential.

An coach flipped on the lights in his film room, and did his part to add to the more than 10 thousand hours of film on opponents.

A coordinator fine-tuned some of the best, most efficient individuals in the world, and did his part to help The University of Tennessee return to a once prominent program.

Today, I speak to you my fellow board members: for it is you, the fans, who make the state of this program strong.

Here are the results of the coaches efforts: The lowest recruiting class rating in over 4 years. A rebounding team who struggled down the stretch. A roster that’s looking to replace individuals leaving for the NFL. More in-state talent than we have ever seen before. And, for the first time in over 2 decades a winning streak in bowl games.

That’s why I believe this is a pivotal year for our program. After four years of grit and determined effort, The University of Tennessee is better-positioned for victory than previous regimes. However, an under performance in 2016, as well as an under performance in recruiting, leaves this program hanging by the thinnest of threads.

The question for everyone in this forum, running through every decision made this year, is whether this staff is going to help or hinder this progress. For several years now, this town has been consumed by a rancorous argument over the proper stars of the recruits, and coaching tactics. It’s an important debate – one that dates back to our the very founding of this board. But, when that debate prevents us from carrying out even the most basic functions of as a fan – when our differences shut down the celebration of our successes, or threaten the full faith and credit of our sources – then we are not doing right by The University of Tennessee.

In the coming months, let’s see where else progress can be made as a program. Let’s make this a year of victory and celebration of success. That’s what most fan want – for all of us in this forum to focus on the position battles, incoming freshmen, and the challenges ahead. And what I believe unites the people of this board, regardless of race or region or party, young or old, rich or poor, is the simple, profound belief in opportunity for all – the notion that if the players work hard and take responsibility, this team will get ahead.

Let’s face it: that belief has suffered some serious blows. Over more than three years, even before this past season hit, massive shifts in fan support had eliminated a lot of good, even-keeled, and rational opinions.

The coaches's jobs are to reverse these trends. It won’t happen right away, and we won’t agree on everything. But what needs to be offered today is a set of concrete, practical proposals to speed up growth, strengthen the fan base, and build new ladders that lead ton unprecedented success at UT. Some require University action, and I’m eager to welcome all courses of action taken to lead toward success. But The University of Tennessee does not stand still – and neither will I. So wherever and whenever I can take steps to expand opportunity for more open-mindedness toward our current state, I'll take it.

So let’s make that decision easier for all involved. Both a sunshine Pumpers and Negavols have argued that our program isnt where it needs to be, is riddled with wasteful, complicated coach speak that punish fans investing time in listening, and reward losses with symbolic recognition of the false titles of Champions of Life. Let’s flip that equation. Let’s work together to close those gaps in belief, end those senseless arguments between fans of the same team, and unify behind the common banner of Tennessee.

Many years ago, Butch Jones and staff set out to reverse a negative trend in the success of the UT football program. To that extent, they have succeeded. However, numerous decisions made, a season of lost expectations, and a subpar recruiting class, have left the program at a crossroads. There is no denying the fact that the state of the program has improved. However, the continued success of this program now falls on the coaching of these young individuals. The success of this program no longer falls to the hope of above expectation re ruining classes, and now falls to on the field success.

My fellow fans, times like this remind us that success has never come easy. Our pride, our fandom, has never been easy. Sometimes we stumble; we make mistakes; we get frustrated or discouraged. But for more than one hundred years, we have put those things aside and placed our collective shoulder to the wheel of progress – to create fan traditions unlike any other; to promote competition, and fairness, and good spirtsmanship, so that the words set to paper by our coaching staff are made real for every fan. The program we want for our kids – a rising tradition where hard work is plentiful within the program and fan support are strong; where prosperity is widely shared and opportunity for all lets us go as far as the terrace and sky boxes – none of it is easy. But if we support this team together; if we summon what is best in us, with our feet planted firmly in the stands today, but our eyes cast towards tomorrow – I know solidarity is within our reach. The success of our program rests on Butch Jones, the players, and staff. Let us unify in our support, and let the chips fall where they may.

Last edited:
Reactions: 21 people
This recruiting class could EASILY be forgiven if Butch hadn't crapped the bed against SC or Vandy.

1 game would have changed everything.

Reactions: 17 people
Rah ,Rah, sis boom bah! Go Vols. Now if we only convince the sports media that CBJ isn't on the hot seat. :rolleyes:

Reactions: 2 people
Last year was much more pivotal than this. Jones needed to win the East or at least better the season record than a year ago. Buy time and earn a rebuilding year. Losing to vandy and uscjr during an up year kills his chance of being kept after a rebuilding year.

This recruiting class could EASILY be forgiven if Butch hadn't crapped the bed against SC or Vandy.

Which really points to the fragility of this fanbase...and the need for many to grow a pair!

Looking at this from 10,000 feet up in the air, how would a game from last season change the perception about a recruiting class? I'm honestly asking? I don't really see a connection to the 2.

2016 is gone. The "value" of this class won't be truly measured until 2019, or so. The players coming in are the players coming in. Once they step foot on the practice field, star ratings go out the window. No one cares. It's about what you do over the next 3-5 years...not what you did in HS.

If you want to look at the ranking relative to where we stand within the SEC, that's fine. But it doesn't completely predict the future.

Reactions: 7 people
Last year was much more pivotal than this. Jones needed to win the East or at least better the season record than a year ago. Buy time and earn a rebuilding year. Losing to vandy and uscjr during an up year kills his chance of being kept after a rebuilding year.

Not necessarily. I think this year falls on the hands of a highly touted QB. If he lives up to expectations, then recruiting will thrive next year. Also, if our defense shows improvement under the Shooper Trooper, then our differences recruits will begin to trickle in.

Which really points to the fragility of this fanbase...and the need for many to grow a pair!

Looking at this from 10,000 feet up in the air, how would a game from last season change the perception about a recruiting class? I'm honestly asking? I don't really see a connection to the 2.

2016 is gone. The "value" of this class won't be truly measured until 2019, or so. The players coming in are the players coming in. Once they step foot on the practice field, star ratings go out the window. No one cares. It's about what you do over the next 3-5 years...not what you did in HS.

If you want to look at the ranking relative to where we stand within the SEC, that's fine. But it doesn't completely predict the future.

Your right it doesent.

But....

When they lack on the development side of coaching you never see the potential. Jones already has a strike for being a terrible game day coach he doesent need a recruiting strike or a development strike.

Other wise he's no better than Captain Smith

Not necessarily. I think this year falls on the hands of a highly touted QB. If he lives up to expectations, then recruiting will thrive next year. Also, if our defense shows improvement under the Shooper Trooper, then our differences recruits will begin to trickle in.
Its time for butch to take what he has on the roster and win. That simple. No excuses of young qbs or DCs. Every good coach, at some point in time, has a little less on the roster and pulls an upset or two. He needs to do it now while most of the fans and media are on his side .

Your right it doesent.

But....

When they lack on the development side of coaching you never see the potential. Jones already has a strike for being a terrible game day coach he doesent need a recruiting strike or a development strike.

Other wise he's no better than Captain Smith

I see your points, but at least Butch is making some staff changes...which is a catch-22 around here.

We'll see what kind of coach he is this season.

This is absolutely true. A 10-2 season and the program is still heading in the right direction. 9-4 and the perception is totally different. Butch is in the hot seat & his public statements denying the teams failures have made it even hotter. Coupled with an underwhelming recruiting class, I truly believe the USCe will prove to be the beginning of the end for Coach Jones. I hope I am proven wrong. Go VOLS.

State of the Program 9-4/4-4/ MCB Champs

On another note, this may be the funniest series of replies to a post ive ever seen on vn.

Reactions: 1 person

VN Store

Back