SEC Coaching Grades

It's from Adam McClintock, he's a Football Analyst that projects game outcomes and analyzes coaches.

It makes no sense. Not because it's Butch but because the numbers make no sense. What comprises the rating factor?

Take Sumlin, for example. He and Butch have the same amount of years, Sumlin has a higher rating but Butch has the higher grade.

Reactions: 3 people
2nd best coach in the league boys and girls. We're either one step (brick) away from the top or we are the first loser. VN should be able to sort that out.

Other than Saban who would you rather have than Butch from that list? I am not sure there is another one, Maybe Dan Mullen for me but he still has underachieved outside of the Dak Prescott years.

I don't like him but McElwain is 2 for 2 since taking over UF.

Mullen is a good coach hampered by a place that's really difficult to recruit to.

Again, I don't like the guy but Bielema has done more with less since going to Arkansas. It would be interesting to know what he would have done if he and Jones had reversed roles.

I'd take Malzahn over Jones in a half second.

Freeze had a bad year but he's had more success than Jones in a more difficult place to have success.

I'm not exactly sure what this guy based his grades on. Jones lost a game in each of his first 2 years that should have been wins. As talent has gotten better, his optimization of it has actually gotten worse. There were 3 losses in each of the last two years that easily could have if not should have been wins.

In his first 4 years, Jones has one upset win to his credit.

Jones' defenders do not want to deal with these things... but these and his overall record are the bottom line facts after you cut through all of the minutiae. Jones to date is more like a "D" than a B+. He needs a few years of earning "A's" to get his avg back up to B+.

Reactions: 3 people
2nd best coach in the league boys and girls. We're either one step (brick) away from the top or we are the first loser. VN should be able to sort that out.

Second best coach who has had the best roster in the East for the past two years and has managed to NOT win the division? :dunno:

Reactions: 6 people
Because of my limited knowledge of the game. All I know is BJ has taken us from a dumpster fire to winning some big games against quality opponents.
We beat Fla. and Georgia, and year before last we played Alabama to a five point game. Injuries can be devastating to a team that does not have a lot of depth. In 2016 our defense was decimated. plus one player causing problems for our team.
I will always wonder how good we would have been without all those injuries.
Jones has been recruiting some good players. When we build depth, I think Jones can take us near the top.
I have not given up on Butch Jones yet.
He is energetic, loves Tennessee, and wants to win. I wish him and our program much success in the years ahead.
My gut feeling right now C+. Hoping for a B or B+ in 2017.
Why only a C+?. Because the Vandy and SCe losses really hurt my ass.

Last edited:
Reactions: 20 people
What do you think of CBJ's B+ rating?

The Vandy loss made that too high.

8-4 will never be a B+ at UT that's about average. Doesn't C mean average. The loss to Vandy drops it to a D.

120 won games in spite of themselves.

121 won't be snake bite and will win many games.

2017 is the year to "Bust the Curve".

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
I don't like him but McElwain is 2 for 2 since taking over UF.

Mullen is a good coach hampered by a place that's really difficult to recruit to.

Again, I don't like the guy but Bielema has done more with less since going to Arkansas. It would be interesting to know what he would have done if he and Jones had reversed roles.

I'd take Malzahn over Jones in a half second.

Freeze had a bad year but he's had more success than Jones in a more difficult place to have success.

I'm not exactly sure what this guy based his grades on. Jones lost a game in each of his first 2 years that should have been wins. As talent has gotten better, his optimization of it has actually gotten worse. There were 3 losses in each of the last two years that easily could have if not should have been wins.

In his first 4 years, Jones has one upset win to his credit.

Jones' defenders do not want to deal with these things... but these and his overall record are the bottom line facts after you cut through all of the minutiae. Jones to date is more like a "D" than a B+. He needs a few years of earning "A's" to get his avg back up to B+.

The second half of the Florida game is one of the reasons I think he can get it done.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
Butch got a B and Vandy coach coach got an F but they beat us....so was it talent or coaching that lead to that debacle?

IMO... Butch is a C+ coach at a university the requires... err, demands, B+/A coaching.

Anywhere else he's probably a B+/A type of coach. Guys, this place is special, AP just voted our program as a top 10 program. Butch is not a bad coach and def. not a bad person. Is he the right for UT... that's yet to be seen. But he won't have 10 years to make his case. You get 4-5 years at best to make your case at big boy programs, that why he makes in 1 week what 75% of the country doesn't make in 1 year. He's got to bring some sort of championship home soon or else he'll be replaced... and no our 2016 Life Championship doesn't count.

A B+ is far too generous. A 9-4 record is average for Tennessee, so that puts him at a C. Props for Virginia Tech, Florida, and Georgia; bumps him to a B+. I can forgive the South Carolina loss, but losing to Vandy puts him at a D-. I'll bump him to a C- for the nice win over Nebraska. But losing to Vandy is like bombing your Midterm; hard to recover.

I know BJ lost to DM who was graded F, so the B+ and F are probably skewed (the former too high and the later way-too low) -- if the ratings are based on on-field Wins (considering both DM and BJ beat Georgia).

Because of my limited knowledge of the game. All I know is BJ has taken us from a dumpster fire to winning some big games against quality opponents.
We beat Fla. and Georgia, and year before last we played Alabama to a five point game. Injuries can be devastating to a team that does not have a lot of depth. In 2016 our defense was decimated.
I will always wonder how good we would have been without all those injuries.
Jones has been recruiting some good players. When we build depth, I think Jones can take us near the top.
I have not given up on Butch Jones yet.
He is energetic, loves Tennessee, and wants to win. I wish him and our program much success in the years ahead.

4 full recruiting classes, has completely turned the roster over and then some, has had 2 top 10 classes and we still need to wait for him to build depth? Why?

He's done an outstanding job rebuilding the roster and all things off the field (APR, high school coach relationships, PR, selling the brand, getting former players back involved, etc), and he's done a decent job improving the record.....but he's also lost 5-6 games he had no business losing and is clearly a substandard game day coach.

The overall job he's done to date in some phases deserves much praise and in other phases much criticism. He's not yet won so much as a division title in a bad SEC East and, imo, doesn't deserve a B+, especially if he's getting a higher grade than guys like Sumlin, Mullen, Freeze and Malzahn and losing to teams like SCar and Vandy and squeezing by a bad team like App State. I think he deserves a B+ or A- for his off the field work and more like a C or C- for his game day accomplishments. Overall, probably more like a C+ or so.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 people
The second half of the Florida game is one of the reasons I think he can get it done.

I agree... that Florida game is why he's still employed at Tennessee. It was an epic comeback and one that he deserves ALL the credit for. Unfortunately, Butch has been kind of, 1 step forward, 2 steps back kind of coach both in his on field results (beat FL and GA, lose to USCe and Candy) and from a PR perspective (too many to pick 1).

Butch just needs a solid AD to help him help himself. If he can get that and a few breaks, he could be special at UT.

VN Store

Back