Developing and recruiting great LB's to UT

photovol

It's been awhile since UT had an All America LB, so the question I have is: does UT have anyone on the roster or committed players for 2017, that may prove to have that level of talent?

Perhaps a healthy DKJr will be an all SEC quality LB in 2017, but it would be nice to have more quality depth at LB, after seeing all the injuries that the Vols had last year.

Whenever I think about Great Tennessee linebackers this guy comes to mind.
B0kdZLwCUAAHhZm.jpg

Dale Jones

Reactions: 4 people
New Comer Solon Page will have a great career if he can stay healthy. Kid has dynamite skill can change direction and flip hips with the best. Of course DKJ when healthy is one of the best. JRM would have had a AA year very sad to lose him. When you sustain the injuries we did in front 7 you understand why we had to outscore teams.

I'm not even sure who the freshmen LBs are this year

of course I never put any stock into a freshmen player

a few may shine,but I don't expect it at all

a year in the weight room and in the program is when they shine

Al Wilson proved himself at Tennessee and in the NFL.

Big Al also helped WIN us a National Championship with his play and with his motivational talks.

His talks were simple...Play your best and give your all every second or I'll beat your azz!

Coming from Big Al that would motivate most anyone, LOL!

VFL...GBO!!!

It's been awhile since UT had an All America LB, so the question I have is: does UT have anyone on the roster or committed players for 2017, that may prove to have that level of talent?

Perhaps a healthy DKJr will be an all SEC quality LB in 2017, but it would be nice to have more quality depth at LB, after seeing all the injuries that the Vols had last year.

Jaylen Reeves Maybin was an All American level player his sophomore and Junior years.
Easily one of the best OLB in the past 15 years.

Shannon Reid is the next big thing at LB at UT

Reactions: 3 people
Hopefully DKjr turn into another Wilson and is injury free this year, but very good friends of mine from Nashville tell me young Bituli is the real deal as well. Tickled he got playing time last year, sad it was necessary. Hopefully good things happen for 121's D since so many down the depth chart played a lot last year. That hurt us last year, could help us this year though, on the field experience never hurts.

Reactions: 1 person
Let's not forget about Curt Maggitt either. Ended his career in a hybrid DE role and battled injuries, but when healthy he was AA level.

Reactions: 2 people
Sapp was being hailed as the next great linebacker but tore his ACL in the first game last season. Hopefully he fully recovers and has a great redshirt sophomore season.

We had two 4 star LBs in last years class and another one (or two) in this years class. Hopefully we'll have a great pair of LBs emerge.

Reactions: 2 people
Raynoch Thompson, Al Wilson, Kevin Burnett, Omar Gaither, Parys Harralson, and Eric Westmoreland were memorable LBs who had successfull NFL careers.

Whenever I think about Great Tennessee linebackers this guy comes to mind.
B0kdZLwCUAAHhZm.jpg

Dale Jones

BO over the top in 85 and Jones put BIG BAD BO on his AZZ as our beloved VOLS kicked the number 1 ranked WAR EAGLES AZZ and put BO on the bench in the 4th quarter seems like yesterday oh boy those were the days.:clapping:

How long has it been since Tennessee has had a top rated defense, thinking back, it's been quite a while, no?

5 years
10 years
15 years.....????

BO over the top in 85 and Jones put BIG BAD BO on his AZZ as our beloved VOLS kicked the number 1 ranked WAR EAGLES AZZ and put BO on the bench in the 4th quarter seems like yesterday oh boy those were the days.:clapping:

One of my all time favorite games, Tony Robinson torched Auburn and Dale Jones put Mr. Bo Jackson on the bench that Saturday in Knoxville Tennessee
Go Vols

Somewhere along the line, our LB situation definitely changed and not for the better. Not sure if it had to do with our strength and conditioning or the evaluation of them out of high school. I read somewhere, once upon a time, we recruited running backs that also played LB and bulked them up. This would explain how fast they use to be.

I know Majors recruited a running back from my high school to play LB. He would have been a good one if he would have kept his head on straight.

Either way, I think they need to get back to this type of LB. Our D was so much more fun to watch when we had a stable of freakishly nasty LB's!

VN Store

Back