Reasons to think Tennessee will be BETTER in 2017

Dobbs 4 Heisman

So everyone is pegging 2017 as a rebuilding year. At best most people think we might be able to equal the 9-4 records we've had in 2015 and 2016.

Here are a few reasons why I think we could be significantly better in 2017 than most people think:

(1) There's still alot of talent on the roster. At least two top 5 recruiting classes (2014 and 2015) and two more in the top 15 (2016 and 2017) are going to be on campus. Our composite 4-year recruiting rank next season should be the highest its been in nearly a decade. Yes those classes have had alot of attrition but on paper we are still a top 10-12 team in the country based purely on talent.

(2) We return 15 of 22 starters and 33 of 44 from the 2-deep. We only lost 7 starters to the draft or graduation (Dobbs, Kamara, Malone, Weisman, Barnett, Vereen, and Sutton) and only another 4 players from the 2-deep (Croom, Lewis, Bynum, and Foreman). Yes most of the starters we lost were our very best players, however, we're still returning alot of talent. Especially in the trenches. 4 of 5 starters are back on the offensive line. And we added the #1 player in the 2017 class to that group. They have to improve at some point. We'll also return 4 of our top 5 DTs most who suffered season-ending injuries in 2016. In addition, because of the season-long injuries to departing stars like Jalen Reeves-Maybin and Cam Sutton we've had the benefit of developing depth at those positions for next season (i.e. Baylen Buchanan, Colton Jumper, Cortez McDowell, etc.).

(3) We'll have over 20 seniors on Team 121. Its been a long time since Tennessee has had that many seniors on the roster. The last couple of years we've been called a young team because of the number of freshmen and sophomores we've had starting for us. You won't be able to say that in 2017. Most of our 2-deep will be made up of seniors and juniors with significant playing experience. That should benefit us in 2017.

(4) A more balanced schedule in 2017. In 2016 all of our big games (Florida, Georgia, Texas A&M, and Alabama) were concentrated in 4 consecutive weeks. By the Alabama game we were devastated with injuries. And we were unable to recover from then on. In 2017 we won't have any big opponents in back to back weeks. We don't play any of Georgia Tech, Florida, Georgia, Alabama, or LSU in consecutive weeks. This should help with the wear and tear of the season.

(5) Better strength and conditioning should lead to less injuries. This is actually more hope than an actual fact but hopefully Team 121 fares better in the injury department than Team 120.

If Team 121 can stay healthy I see no reason why they can't go 10-2 in the regular season and win the SEC East. On paper we are more talented than Florida. They are losing even more elite talent to the NFL than we are and they don't have the benefit of strong recruiting the last few years to fall back on. And Georgia will be a young team in 2017 depending on alot true freshmen and sophomores in their 2-deep. Expect them to disappoint given the lofty preseason expectations like we did in 2016.

Reactions: 45 people
Everybody else will be better! Not only that but they will be much better! Butch Jones had last year and he didn't do it. As everyone else is getting better that means he aint gonna do it! That means, we aint gonna be better!

Reactions: 1 person
All fair and good points OP. But the likelihood of the Vols going 10-2 if we have the same head coach is very low.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 people
a lot of players who have played this past season will be back....I don't recall what you call that and damn sure don't wanna jinx anyone so I'll just call it experience.

Reactions: 2 people
No one is expecting much from us..the University of underachieving will be favored to win the east. Fla runs out of dumb luck
Vols win the east

Reactions: 6 people
OP - great points and I appreciate your enthusiasm. However, I'm not sure CBJ can ever take UT to a 10 win regular season. '16 was his year to do so and he blew it big time (USCjr and Candy). Plus his team never looked prepared against powerhouses like AppSt, Ohio among others and it took a miracle to beat UGA.

Either CBJ is out of his element in the SEC - or - there were far too many distractions within the team for it to have ever "jelled" into a 10-win regular season.

Reactions: 4 people
I hope you are right man.. 10-2 with butch.. that means he cant cost us a a game this year.. that means we have to beat GT, UF, Georgia, Bama, LSU.. without having to worry about the others (we all know how that turned out i.e Vandy, USCjr.) All this and we don't even have a legit starter at QB yet? Not being a downer but just seems like high hopes.. but it could happen.. I mean we were about there last year until sh** storm rolled in

OP - great points and I appreciate your enthusiasm. However, I'm not sure CBJ can ever take UT to a 10 win regular season. '16 was his year to do so and he blew it big time (USCjr and Candy). Plus his team never looked prepared against powerhouses like AppSt, Ohio among others and it took a miracle to beat UGA.

Either CBJ is out of his element in the SEC - or - there were far too many distractions within the team for it to have ever "jelled" into a 10-win regular season.

10-win SEC HCs don't grow on trees.

Reactions: 3 people
Numbers 4(maybe) and 5 are reasons for some optimism.

Number 1,2, and 3 didn't really get them anywhere this year and the production and leadership lost from Barnett, Kamara, Malone, and Dobbs will be tough to overcome.

The team has the talent again to win the East. Haven't seen anything from the staff to suggest they can put it together and make it happen though.

Without 18 injuries, Team 120 goes 11-3.

Very doubtful. Barely beat App State. Needed a miracle for UGA. It was going to catch up to him. This coming year it will be something else that he can't coach around. He will hit some highs like he did this season but will ultimately not get there. I would love to eat crow next year but just don't see it.

Reactions: 3 people
(5) Better strength and conditioning should lead to less injuries. This is actually more hope than an actual fact but hopefully Team 121 fares better in the injury department than Team 120.

Hopefully? It'd be very unusual if we had a similar avalanche of injuries again this year.

Injuries were our biggest problem last year, so I'm optimistic for 2017 too.

Very doubtful. Barely beat App State. Needed a miracle for UGA. It was going to catch up to him. This coming year it will be something else that he can't coach around. He will hit some highs like he did this season but will ultimately not get there. I would love to eat crow next year but just don't see it.

We didn't have Hurd, Sutton and DKJr. for all or most of the UGA game and we still had that game in the bag until they got a "miracle" against us. Also, Hurd's injury in that game became a huge distraction going forward for the rest of the season; we'd probably be lauding him as a UT legend and 2-3 round draft pick right now if it weren't for that mysterious "lower extremity injury."

Injuries doomed Team 120, so I accept the premise that we would've gone 11-3 or better without them.

Reactions: 10 people
We didn't have Hurd, Sutton and DKJr. for all or most of the UGA game and we still had that game in the bag until they got a "miracle" against us. Also, Hurd's injury in that game became a huge distraction going forward for the rest of the season; we'd probably be lauding him as a UT legend and 2-3 round draft pick right now if it weren't for that mysterious "lower extremity injury."

Injuries doomed Team 120, so I accept the premise that we would've gone 11-3 or better without them.

I only have one reason. Same head coach.

VN Store

Back