Been Reading Saban's Biography...

TNHopeful505

I've been listening to Saban's biography "Saban: The Making of a Coach" because I want to see just how he became what he is (I do this with a lot of people). Noticed several things that are relevant to our program and things that put Butch in perspective.

1. Saban was a constant job jumper. Held 9 positions over 18 years. Has a reputation of leaving. I say this just because I never saw him leaving Bama before listening to this book, but now, I wouldn't be surprised. His dad growing up made him work at a car service station he worked. Nick would wash cars, and if he "missed a spot," his dad would make him re-wash the whole car. People close to him said that his stint in the NFL is a "missed spot on the car," and they could see him going back. Just putting that out there for hope.

2. Saban was even fired at a job. While DB coach at Ohio State, he was fired. Just something I didn't know.

BUT...here's the thing that really shocked me.

Butch's process....sounds a lot of the same as Saban's.

Saban works closely with a psychology professor from Michigan State that helped him to create "the process." He also helps him to evaluate recruits psychologically and recruit high character kids.

Saban is not focused on championships, or wins. He is focused on perfect execution of every detail. He is focused on the journey. You notice when Bama wins championships, Saban isn't excited or happy. In fact, he is normally mad. His first championship at LSU, he reamed Jimbo Fisher after the game because he didn't like how his offense performed.

When Saban was in the NFL, a WR talked to the media about how he wanted to catch a touchdown every game. Saban publicly called him out saying "He just needs to worry about the next catch, and the numbers will take care of themselves."

Saban focuses on executing the next play and nothing else. He trains his players to do the same. He constantly uses cliches that his dad used when coaching him as a child that he passes on to his players.

I say all of that to say this: we need to be a little more patient with Butch.

I am NOT saying that Butch IS Saban or that he will eventually have the results that Saban has had.

But I AM saying that he is using much of the same process that Saban has lived by. The only reason that nobody picks up on it, is because Butch talks more publicly to the media about it, and Saban hates the media.

Butch is still a young coach. He is 49. Saban was 52 when he won his first championship at LSU, and 51 when he won his first SEC championship (don't we all remember that one...).

I, like many of you, get upset at some of the calls that Butch has made. But the more I looked at how Saban runs his programs and the way he conducts his business and puts importance on the mental game, the more I saw how Butch does many of the same things.

I do believe Butch needs to be held accountable, but I'm not willing to give up on him just yet.

I can't wait to see Team 121 and to see the improvement and see how "the process" continues to take shape.

Reactions: 38 people
200w.gif

Reactions: 18 people
But the more I looked at how Saban runs his programs and the way he conducts his business and puts importance on the mental game, the more I saw how Butch does many of the same things.

Eddie.jpg

I appreciate the write-up but nothing about Butch reminds me of Saban. I'm just talking about personality...not being a smart-A$$ regarding results.

I agree about Saban not looking happy while winning because he demands perfection at all times no matter the circumstance. Look at the BCS title game vs. LSU after the '11 season. Bama received their 1st penalty with about 2 minutes to go in the game and Saban went nuts.

Reactions: 7 people
Lol.....Jones is a Saban....he just doesn't know it yet.

Satan would have been fired at Bama had he had the same record Jones has produced at TN.

Reactions: 10 people
View attachment 127063

I appreciate the write-up but nothing about Butch reminds me of Saban. I'm just talking about personality...not being a smart-A$$ regarding results.

I agree about Saban not looking happy while winning because he demands perfection at all times no matter the circumstance. Look at the BCS title game vs. LSU after the '11 season. Bama received their 1st penalty with about 2 minutes to go in the game and Saban went nuts.

No im not at all talking about their personalities. But the cliches we all hate? "63 effort?" "Snap and clear?" They're worded different but they came from Saban. He uses the same. That's all I'm saying is the methods that Saban uses to coach his players mentally are the same as Butch. But their personalities are different. Butch is 1000% more personable than Saban.

Reactions: 4 people
This isn't a bama board. Please make your way to the nearest exit.

Trust me I hate Bama as much as anyone. But I also know that if you wanna be rich, do what rich people do. I enjoy studying others lives. Saban is the best college coach today. I simply wanted to know how he got where he is.

Reactions: 14 people
Oh and by the way, one BIG thing I noticed?

When LSU got sick of losing, they said "how much will it take?" And they paid it.

When Alabama got sick of losing, they said "how much will it take?" And they paid it.

Our AD sucks. You get what you pay for. LSU made Saban the highest paid coach at the time.

Reactions: 8 people
I can summarize Saban's process-

#1 get the best players
#2 demand excellence from said players
#3 demand excellence from staff
#4 build extra rooms for trophies

Reactions: 11 people
Nah.

OP, I appreciate the effort. .....but Lyle is who he is.

Let's revisit this at the end of the season.

Reactions: 5 people
OP, so what you are saying is that CNS approaches football in exactly the opposite way as most posters on V demand?

Reactions: 2 people
I can summarize Saban's process-

#1 get the best players
#2 demand excellence from said players
#3 demand excellence from staff
#4 build extra rooms for trophies

Until the rest of the SEC gets on board with this line of thinking it won't change.

I've been listening to Saban's biography "Saban: The Making of a Coach" because I want to see just how he became what he is (I do this with a lot of people). Noticed several things that are relevant to our program and things that put Butch in perspective.

1. Saban was a constant job jumper. Held 9 positions over 18 years. Has a reputation of leaving. I say this just because I never saw him leaving Bama before listening to this book, but now, I wouldn't be surprised. His dad growing up made him work at a car service station he worked. Nick would wash cars, and if he "missed a spot," his dad would make him re-wash the whole car. People close to him said that his stint in the NFL is a "missed spot on the car," and they could see him going back. Just putting that out there for hope.

2. Saban was even fired at a job. While DB coach at Ohio State, he was fired. Just something I didn't know.

Saban works closely with a psychology professor from Michigan State that helped him to create "the process." He also helps him to evaluate recruits psychologically and recruit high character kids.

Saban is not focused on championships, or wins. He is focused on perfect execution of every detail. He is focused on the journey. You notice when Bama wins championships, Saban isn't excited or happy. In fact, he is normally mad. His first championship at LSU, he reamed Jimbo Fisher after the game because he didn't like how his offense performed.

When Saban was in the NFL, a WR talked to the media about how he wanted to catch a touchdown every game. Saban publicly called him out saying "He just needs to worry about the next catch, and the numbers will take care of themselves."

Saban focuses on executing the next play and nothing else. He trains his players to do the same. He constantly uses cliches that his dad used when coaching him as a child that he passes on to his players.

I am NOT saying that Butch IS Saban or that he will eventually have the results that Saban has had.

But I AM saying that he is using much of the same process that Saban has lived by. The only reason that nobody picks up on it, is because Butch talks more publicly to the media about it, and Saban hates the media.

Butch is still a young coach. He is 49. Saban was 52 when he won his first championship at LSU, and 51 when he won his first SEC championship (don't we all remember that one...).

I, like many of you, get upset at some of the calls that Butch has made. But the more I looked at how Saban runs his programs and the way he conducts his business and puts importance on the mental game, the more I saw how Butch does many of the same things.

I do believe Butch needs to be held accountable, but I'm not willing to give up on him just yet.

I can't wait to see Team 121 and to see the improvement and see how "the process" continues to take shape.

You make some good points and I appreciate the effort that went into this. I think Butch is on the right track. I think that without the unusually high number of injuries, Team 120 wins 11 games and most of the naysayers here are a lot happier. I don't see a whole lot of available coaches for hire that I feel confident would do a better job than Butch is doing. So I'm optimistic about next season and beyond.

Reactions: 20 people
Lol.....Jones is a Saban....he just doesn't know it yet.

Satan would have been fired at Bama had he had the same record Jones has produced at TN.

Great post by the op. And no he wouldn't have been fired for 3 straight bowl wins and and back to back 9 win seasons after a bowl drought.

The point, is that you idiots could have the next saban and instead of being patient and reaping the rewards, you want him fire when he doesn't go undefeated his first year.

Reactions: 23 people
No im not at all talking about their personalities. But the cliches we all hate? "63 effort?" "Snap and clear?" They're worded different but they came from Saban. He uses the same. That's all I'm saying is the methods that Saban uses to coach his players mentally are the same as Butch. But their personalities are different. Butch is 1000% more personable than Saban.

As a sports fan, there is nothing wrong with reading the book. It's interesting to see what makes people tick. I personally couldn't read it, but I hope CBJ and staff have. Patton read Rommel's book on tank tactics and used it to his advantage.

The cliches don't bother me so much except for the number of times he uses resolve and resiliency. Fulmer used to drive me crazy with his "heckisms". CBJ does use a lot of quotes from others. The champions of life quote wasn't his either, but you are right. CBJ gets hammered because he is more personable, and thus, an easy target. That, and he doesn't have the support from the media, fans, and administration that Saban has.

Saban has done a great job at Bama, but let's not forget he has total control in all things. He wouldn't stay there if he didn't. The media and fans in Bama dare not criticize him and the SEC office is located in Birmingham. People criticize CBJ for being a control freak, but he is nothing compared to Saban. If you win championships though, you are viewed in a different context.

The methods and terms are similar because they are textbook. At least that's what they taught in my Motivational Behavior class in Glocker years ago.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
I guess you (OP) didn't realize before you posted this that everybody in this forum knew more about Saban than you, without reading any books, and more about football than Saban, without ever having to play or coach it.:p

But now you know!

Oh and by the way, one BIG thing I noticed?

When LSU got sick of losing, they said "how much will it take?" And they paid it.

When Alabama got sick of losing, they said "how much will it take?" And they paid it.

Our AD sucks. You get what you pay for. LSU made Saban the highest paid coach at the time.

Why pay for it when we can just wait for Butch to make that transformation. Just a few more years......

You make some good points and I appreciate the effort that went into this. I think Butch is on the right track. I think that without the unusually high number of injuries, Team 120 wins 11 games and most of the naysayers here are a lot happier. I don't see a whole lot of available coaches for hire that I feel confident would do a better job than Butch is doing. So I'm optimistic about next season and beyond.

Call me crazy.. but there is just too many things going right this off season. Almost everything that needed changed.. has been changed. Defensively.. I'm not sure. But.. it was shoops first year. He is a mastermind in his own regard, when it boils down to it.

We have an NFL quality S & C coordinator.. that was part of the problem last season. He demands respect and results.. exactly what Tennessee needs.

I just hope the damn hype train don't get to the players heads this year.

Not to mention an easier schedule.. we have nama their 8th game.. would be an awesome season to be all SEC contenders..

I enjoyed the post OP. That said difficult to comprehend Saban's "high character" kids getting caught by various law enforcement agencies violating various and sundry legal limits. Last off season, what was it, a starting player on a gun charge and drugs? It seemed to disappear along the way.

Great post by the op. And no he wouldn't have been fired for 3 straight bowl wins and and back to back 9 win seasons after a bowl drought.

The point, is that you idiots could have the next saban and instead of being patient and reaping the rewards, you want him fire when he doesn't go undefeated his first year.

Listen up. Jones is not the next Saban. Can this be said any clearer?

Losing to the dregs of the east is far from "not going undefeated."

But you idiots, keep trying. A coaching search is right around the corner.

It is funny how we negatively call Butch a control freak when Sabah is probably the biggest control freak and most great coaches are as well... but we hammer Butch for it. There are many things we nail Butch at but in actuality they are traits of good coaches.

It is funny how we negatively call Butch a control freak when Sabah is probably the biggest control freak and most great coaches are as well... but we hammer Butch for it. There are many things we nail Butch at but in actuality they are traits of good coaches.

I'll go ahead and say it before anyone points out the obvious...Saban didn't lose to Vandy. That being said, I am personally optimistic and hopeful for this year. I could obviously be disappointed, but I'm encouraged about structural changes. We didn't go the "splash" route as schools like Auburn trying to do on OC, but think Butch knows what's on the line, and he deserves the right to do it his way. If it runs off the tracks, then it's obviously on him...but let's see what they can do and support the entire team (coaches/players).

VN Store

Back