Wes Rucker: Don't Count Out Blackburn Just Yet

Coug

Wes Rucker said on Finebaum today not to count out Blackburn just yet given the recent Fulmer news. There is a real possibility that both Fulmer and Blackburn get hired where Blackburn is set to step in after Fulmer.

siap

Reactions: 1 person
Rucker read that on VN and decided to run with it.

i think it would be better if Blackburn took the reins with Fulmer being associate AD to football operations or something along those lines. We could get 15-20 years out of DB if he does well here. We would only get 6-7 out of Fulmer

Reactions: 16 people
i think it would be better if Blackburn took the reins with Fulmer being associate AD to football operations or something along those lines. We could get 15-20 years out of DB if he does well here. We would only get 6-7 out of Fulmer

Rucker suggested it'd be sooner than that for Blackburn, maybe a year or two. I'm not sure what the point in Fulmer coming in for only a year or two would be though.

Reactions: 6 people
DB makes since, has experiance, loves UT, and is a no brainer hire! So I expect it not to happen.

Reactions: 6 people

Agreed, go ahead and make Blackburn AD and have Fulmer fill and Assoc. AD/head of Fball Operations role.

Reactions: 3 people
I am beginning to think that David Blackburn might have been already in place as the AD if not for an end run by Charlie Anderson and Fulmer.

Reactions: 1 person
Wes Rucker said on Finebaum today not to count out Blackburn just yet given the recent Fulmer news. There is a real possibility that both Fulmer and Blackburn get hired where Blackburn is set to step in after Fulmer.

siap

Again, if I'm Blackburn, I would tell UT to go to he!!. The last time he was in this position, the university went another direction because David didn't have the experience. Now we're expecting him to come to UT and work under Fulmer who has no experience at all as an AD? How does this make sense. Better yet, how does UT make sense of this when selling the idea to Blackburn? He's got experience...far more than PF and on top of that, he's got a successful track record at UTC. Nope. It's now or never if I'm Blackburn. If they go another direction this time, I'd close that door once and for all. Blackburn won't be at UTC long. A larger program will come calling sooner rather than later IMO. No offense, but having him come and work under PF makes no logistical sense and is, to be honest, somewhat insulting. If anything, Blackburn should be AD with Fulmer working under him in some sort of PR/fundraising capacity.

Reactions: 9 people
the following quote is from VQ

UT officials have been strongly informed by powerbrokers that this hire needs to be a “Tennessee person,” and there are three entities of great influence beyond President Dr. Joe DiPietro and Chancellor Beverly Davenport.

So for all the committee and firm talk, in this instance the biggest people involved are the Haslam family, Peyton Manning and Raja Jubran.

As one seven-figure donor told us this week, “Peyton’s going to have a lot of say in this.”

Yet also we were told, matter-of-factly, “Not enough people have UT in mind in this; too many people have their own self interests in mind.”

Still, a potential combination of Phillip Fulmer and David Blackburn remains the best-case-scenario for Tennessee --- and probably the scenario that gets the most done, short- and longterm for both UT athletics and campus-wide matters.

Blackburn had made clear to multiple people he would instantly return Fulmer into a role of prominence within the athletics department, and it has likewise been indicated from multiple sources this week that Fulmer would potentially add Blackburn into the fold --- perhaps as the No. 2 in his athletics cabinet. There are boosters strongly encouraging this chain of events, if Fulmer continues as the frontrunner.

And Fulmer believes he has the key support in the right places. Thus people this week saying the deal “was about done” and “all but done.”

Tennessee will interview at least some sitting athletics directors, and one prominent member of the search process still insisted this week, “If we go out and land a big name, fans won’t mind if it isn’t a Tennessee person.”

Reactions: 2 people
As a follower of our sports programs for a long time, I just can't see why Coach Fulmer makes sense as AD. For a long or short time. If as capable as some that seem to know, Blackburn must be the right guy. (Tenn. ties, ect.) Now, Couch Fulmer as asst. for football, fund raising, and recruiting (if legal) seems to me to be the best possible way to go. Coach Fulmer traveling around to cities and towns to speak to QB clubs, and other types of functions (as an official rep.) could only be a plus.

Reactions: 2 people
Rucker suggested it'd be sooner than that for Blackburn, maybe a year or two. I'm not sure what the point in Fulmer coming in for only a year or two would be though.

Fulmer will come in to smooth out the boosters for Blackburn of true.

Who is a big outside name?

Jurich?

No clue.
I found Blackburn's comments more interesting.
Fulmer in a position of prominence immediately. That must be hard for some to reconcile. If Fulmer "has zero business anywhere near our athletic department" and Blackburn knows what hires to make and can basically do no wrong?

I wish I could see the hamster wheels spinning in some of our posters minds. I have popcorn and everything.

Last edited:

siap

Phil is the man and he will give coach Jones at least 2 more year's unless we go 4 and 8 Phil knows what it takes to win and if deep down if he thinks coach Jones can win he will give him 2 or 3 more year, if he doesn't he will put him on the road, i think Phil will give Coach Jones at least 2 years because coach Jones went out of his way to get Phil to come back and mend some hard feeling so i would think Phil thinks a lot of Jones.Blackburn will come two and serve under Phil for a few years and take over when Phil hanged it up, so i would say our program is in good hands the next 10 plus years. GO VOLS BUCK BAMA:good!:

Last edited:

VN Store

Back