What is the vols natural rank

81Orange

There are those out here on the wall nation that think Tennessee should be playing for a national championship every year. Is this realistic? Given the size of our school the location facilities etc. How well should we recruit? And what should our national ranking be?

We have a large alumni but not as large as some schools so donations probably are not the largest in the nation. We have very good facilities but probably not the best, no doubt in the top 10. Our state does not have the largest talent pool by any stretch of the imagination, so we have to go out of state to recruit. The head-coaching position at Tennessee is a good job probably around fifth or six of the nation. Can we attract the best coach?

I think if we're recruiting between five and 10 and finishing seasons between 5 and 10 would be reaching our institutions potential. Realistically if we were in the national championship playoff once every 4-5 years, I believe it would be the limit of our capability.
What is your opinion?

Reactions: 1 person
To go on a Pat Summitt type run is not impossible. We will always have to out work our opponents, that's a key to victory.

Release the Beast!

Last edited:
I have never read a post on here from someone being serious if he or she said we should be playing for a national title every year. Tennessee with the resources it has and the tradition should be a top 10-15 team just about every year. I also think that TN should be playing for the SECC once every 4-5 years. This is my opinion, but Tennessee as a team has everything it needs to be a top 10 program, but our administration and coaching have not been there to facilitate it.

Reactions: 7 people
Well Knoxville has to be a helluva lot better of a place to live and go to school than more than half of the SEC schools locations, I mean Tuscalooserville is a arm pit and IMO Columbia just sucks yea both of them. As bad as it hurts to say it Floriduh is really the only place I can think that students should want to go and that just cause obviously it's in Florida. Don't get me wrong I've saw some of these campus's and some have really beautiful features but I'm a VOL so none can hold anlightbto Knoxville.

In 2005 when a lot of these discussions first started occurring online, our history was a team that was solidly entrenched in the top 10 most winning programs. Even after the ****storm of the past 10 years, we're still number 11 all time with a few teams in striking distance if we get on a good run and they don't. We've only had the 2 nattys (6 if you want to count them they way they do at Bama) but 24 times in our history we've finished with one or no losses. Additionally, we're still second all time for SEC football championships even though UGA and LSU are now close behind. All this is to explain that my long term expectations for this program have not diminished at all since I first joined and posted on VN. I expect us to be a top 10 program. Right now I see the Vols being at a cross roads. Those wonderful stats that say how great we were are still there sort of like Excalibur waiting for our Arthur to restore the kingdom to its rightful place. But each year it seems like more and more of us lose sight of that history and and become willing to substitute what we should be for a current trend. It's too much like life, watching yourself and those around you compromise and settle in the hope of feathering our nests with a little security and comfort. Following this game is supposed to be a diversion, maybe even a little vicarious living where we all get to latch on to something bigger than ourselves and get caught up in the myopic drive towards victory. I have a good and comfortable life and I'm grateful for it but I've had to settle and compromise to get there. Maybe it's hypocritical, but I'm not willing to settle and compromise my expectations for the diversion.

Reactions: 3 people
If Nick Saban came here in 2006 instead of Alabama we would be sitting here with 4 national titles in the last 10 years.

There is nothing you can't accomplish at Tennessee that you can at any other top school. It's all about getting the right leadership.

Reactions: 4 people
If Nick Saban came here in 2006 instead of Alabama we would be sitting here with 4 national titles in the last 10 years.

There is nothing you can't accomplish at Tennessee that you can at any other top school. It's all about getting the right leadership.
This. UT dominated Bama for a decade. Saban is Bama success. Eventually, he will leave. Probably sooner than later.

There are those out here on the wall nation that think Tennessee should be playing for a national championship every year. Is this realistic? Given the size of our school the location facilities etc. How well should we recruit? And what should our national ranking be?

We have a large alumni but not as large as some schools so donations probably are not the largest in the nation. We have very good facilities but probably not the best, no doubt in the top 10. Our state does not have the largest talent pool by any stretch of the imagination, so we have to go out of state to recruit. The head-coaching position at Tennessee is a good job probably around fifth or six of the nation. Can we attract the best coach?

I think if we're recruiting between five and 10 and finishing seasons between 5 and 10 would be reaching our institutions potential. Realistically if we were in the national championship playoff once every 4-5 years, I believe it would be the limit of our capability.
What is your opinion?

i believe that sometimes, the VOLS are naturally rank!

Well Knoxville has to be a helluva lot better of a place to live and go to school than more than half of the SEC schools locations, I mean Tuscalooserville is a arm pit and IMO Columbia just sucks yea both of them. As bad as it hurts to say it Floriduh is really the only place I can think that students should want to go and that just cause obviously it's in Florida. Don't get me wrong I've saw some of these campus's and some have really beautiful features but I'm a VOL so none can hold anlightbto Knoxville.

Well, glad you seen so much!

Reactions: 2 people

Agreed. But remember that Saban is a once in a generation coach, maybe once in a lifetime. When he is out of college football do not expect someone to step into success the way he has. To expect the same type run he has achieved at Bama is just not realistic.

Well Knoxville has to be a helluva lot better of a place to live and go to school than more than half of the SEC schools locations, I mean Tuscalooserville is a arm pit and IMO Columbia just sucks yea both of them. As bad as it hurts to say it Floriduh is really the only place I can think that students should want to go and that just cause obviously it's in Florida. Don't get me wrong I've saw some of these campus's and some have really beautiful features but I'm a VOL so none can hold anlightbto Knoxville

I've been to away games in every SEC city besides Starkville and I can tell you that Gainesville, FL is not even in the top 5

Last edited:
This. UT dominated Bama for a decade. Saban is Bama success. Eventually, he will leave. Probably sooner than later.

True Saban will leave .
Dabo takes over Alabama
They keep the momentum going
While Tenn struggles for coaches Alabama reloads in coaches and players

Agreed. But remember that Saban is a once in a generation coach, maybe once in a lifetime. When he is out of college football do not expect someone to step into success the way he has. To expect the same type run he has achieved at Bama is just not realistic.

True. Saban is once in a lifetime. My point is that Tennessee has all the resources to be that dominant. Saban didn't win national titles at Michigan State not because he wasn't yet a great coach. Rather he didn't win cause the school lacked the resources. Once he got to a school like LSU with the resources to win a national title like an elite instate player pool, top facilities, top stadium, and large fanbase, he won big. When he went to Alabama, another school with all the resources, he won even more.

Tennessee has the resources to be as good as any program. We have a growing instate pool of talent necessary to win a national title. We are close to other states that produce elite talent. We have some of the best facilities. We have one of the best stadiums. We also have one of the largest fanbases. With the right coach Tennessee could go on a run like Alabama. Maybe not as prolific since what Saban did at Alabama is kind of unprecedented. But we could have another decade like the 90s where we are top 5 almost every season and competing for SEC and national titles each and every season.

What is your opinion?

There is a difference between should be and will be. In reality, no program will be in the playoff every year. Yes that includes Alabama, or it will eventually.The playoff just hasn't been here long enough.

But it is not unrealistic to expect your program to aspire for the playoffs every year. It always should be preparing for that. But when those expectations aren't met and your first reaction is to demand someone be fired, you just need to fire yourself as a fan.

2 of 32 NFL teams go to the Super Bowl. 2 of 30 MLB teams go to the world series. There are 30 teams in the NHL and in the NBA. In D1 football you have well over 100 programs competing for the playoff. If you think the way to get to the top of that ladder is to fire your staff every 4 or 5 years, it will never happen. Not with Tennessee's bone headed administration at least.

We should be winning the East every 3 years on average (battling UGA and UF) and winning the SEC about half the time we play in the game.

As far as national championships, those are just so rare and special I don't know if you can out a number on that.

How do you explain the UT's 9 game winless streak before that? Or the 11 game streak before that?

Fulmer's run against Bama was the exception, not Saban's over UT.

How do you explain the UT's 9 game winless streak before that? Or the 11 game streak before that?

Fulmer's run against Bama was the exception, not Saban's over UT.

The game has always gone in streaks. Eventually we will turn the corner and begin a winning streak over you guys. Then you will do the same. And back and forth

Top 10 program. Expect a SEC title every 3 or 4 years.

This, as far as recruiting goes, state talent is not always there, but, the locale is. By that I mean, draw a 4-5 hour circle around Knoxville and secure thatas your recruiting base. Talent galore in that area. As far as places to live, Nashville would be #1, Athens, Lexington, and Baton Rouge would be up there as well.

We should be winning the East every 3 years on average (battling UGA and UF) and winning the SEC about half the time we play in the game.

As far as national championships, those are just so rare and special I don't know if you can out a number on that.

Top 10 program. Expect a SEC title every 3 or 4 years.

:thumbsup:

I agree with most, top 15-25 each year should be the expectation with a shot at the SEC East Championship every recruiting cycle (3-5 years)...competing at the top of the division every single year!

To go on a Pat Summitt type run is not impossible. We will always have to out work our opponents, that's a key to victory.

Release the Beast!

Wtf? Seriously? A Pat Summitt run has never been done in college football. Use your head FFS. It just amazes me the lack of intelligence that people on this board have.

VN Store

Back