Very excited about Larry Scott promotion!

madbamahater

I thought it was a great hire last year when Butch got him from Miami. The way he took over the mess in Miami that Al Golden was drowning in, he turned their seaon around and won as the interim.

Well seasoned coach. Just wish Butch would have had him coaching the line by himself this past season. I will say that UTs line got much better down the stretch and was actually playing very good football as a unit. I give a large part of that credit to Coach Scott.

Butch stated that Scott was a very big part of what the offense was doing and I can't help but acknowledge that him assisting with the line showed mounds and mounds of improvement.

Glad he is getting the opportunity. I believe he will be a head coach sooner than later....

Reactions: 27 people
I am excited about it as well. We added some top notch recruiters in Scott and Warren. I am happy Coach Jones is doing what he thinks is nessecary for UT football to take the next step. Although his job is not on the line, he had placed his faith and therefore future in these hires. I applaud the courage to do what he thinks is right.

Reactions: 12 people
Hoping this works out well. A total change would have been too much since we did that with the defense last year. Change takes a while, let the defense get back on it's feet and we'll be in good shape. The defense is the key anyway. Alabama won tons of games over the years without much offense when the defense was very good.

Reactions: 3 people
Me too. Helfrich might have been the sexier hire but I think Scott will be a huge success. He has head coaching experience and is an excellent recruiter. About as good as we could hope for.

Reactions: 5 people
I thought it was a great hire last year when Butch got him from Miami. The way he took over the mess in Miami that Al Golden was drowning in, he turned their seaon around and won as the interim.

Well seasoned coach. Just wish Butch would have had him coaching the line by himself this past season. I will say that UTs line got much better down the stretch and was actually playing very good football as a unit. I give a large part of that credit to Coach Scott.

Butch stated that Scott was a very big part of what the offense was doing and I can't help but acknowledge that him assisting with the line showed mounds and mounds of improvement.

Glad he is getting the opportunity. I believe he will be a head coach sooner than later....

...then why didn't Miami hire him? I think Scott pitched for the job and Jones elected to give him the position rather than lose him. We could have done better, I'll put it that way.

Reactions: 7 people
I think they know they have something really special in JG as QB. Glad he hired a seasoned QB coach and Scott calling the shots

...then why didn't Miami hire him? I think Scott pitched for the job and Jones elected to give him the position rather than lose him. We could have done better, I'll put it that way.

Once Georgia pulled the plug on Mark Richt....everyone knew Miami would bring him back home....even I called that well before it happened.

And you think Butch gave him the OC job because he "threatened" to leave? That's insanity....

Reactions: 19 people
I'm on board and have faith in the hire. To all those on this site that talk about Butch offense and wanting a change did they not watch the National Championship game same style many of the same plays we just need to keep getting better and sign a Mike Williams and hope our QB can be close to what Deshaun Watson played as. Ohio St offense same style but didnt have the Oline to make them championship worthy. Even Bama went to spread but QB in the end to inexperience in Passing game to make them National Champions. Lets see what our new coaches can bring to table making us even better.

I'm glad he didn't bring in the washed up has been assistant to Chip Kelly...honestly...

The offense was more than fine this year and at times unstoppable. I agree with building on that, not tearing it down, by starting all over.

Sounds like Scott kinda brought lots to the table offensively this past season we don't know about...

Reactions: 6 people
The VN article that includes Butch's remarks and the coaches' credentials is very informative:

Jones Announces Changes To Coaching Staff - FreakNotes

I wonder if folks who are so "meh" about the Scott promotion and Canales hire even know much about them. I didn't know much until I read that article.

Considering it's Butch's offense, and their credentials, both seem like pretty solid hires to me. Scott has solid credentials and provides continuity. Canales has solid OC and QB coaching credentials and can add some "fresh spin" to the offense Butch said he wants. Also, Canales has a lot of recruiting experience in Texas, Florida and the Atlantic states.

Both look like good fits for what UT needed, and there should be good chemistry between them. Butch wasn't going to make some flashy hire for OC that would want to run his own system, because it's not what he needed to do. He wants to sustain and improve UT's offensive success, not overhaul or replace his system.

Also, any offense is not going to be any better than it's O-Line. So hiring Rock was a much needed good move.

Warren as DB & ST coach was also a very good hire.

The teams that are most physical, block & tackle best, and play with sound fundamentals and discipline usually win the game. Good S&C and position coaches are critical to success. How well plays are executed is more important than which plays are called and when.

My take is that Butch has done a very good job with his recent staff changes.

Last edited:
Reactions: 24 people
Scott has coached all over the offensive side of the ball and if CBJ thinks he's good enough to have the keys to it, then by god CLS must be good enough. Not crazy about the Mike Canales hire but he is experienced so we will see.

As a HC or as OC? Because there's not 1 school that would've taken Scott over Richt as HC if given the choice.

Once Georgia pulled the plug on Mark Richt....everyone knew Miami would bring him back home....even I called that well before it happened.

And you think Butch gave him the OC job because he "threatened" to leave? That's insanity....

Butch had been known to do exactly that.

Reactions: 2 people
I'm not impressed, and doubt I'm the only one.

Maybe Butch made the announcement on Trump's inauguration day because everyone would be paying attention to that instead.

Just now watched and listened to Scotts press conference. Very Impressed with how he continued to go back to his years as a offensive football coach coaching each level of the offense. He has prepared himself for this moment. Canales is a good hire for QB coach remember we have not had one. I believe they will get us back in on the 18 class QB targets we were high on and give us a chance with them. We have upgraded in recruiting with all the new hires and that included Rock.

Reactions: 10 people
Honestly, y'all Butch haters and your sarcasm are getting SOOOO tiresome. He is making changes and improvements. We are WAAAAY better than the dumpster fire he inherited. Academics and # of arrests are improving. Your persistent **tching and moaning has been noticed by recruits, and is likely driving some away... but you will likely brush that off and try to push your share of the blame somewhere else... then complain about the talent gap!
I'm bummed about no East Div Championship and the eggs laid with SC and Vandy too... but the reasons for those disappointments are a lot more complicated than just CBJ. Players for one, 18 to 22 yr olds. Injuries and related adjustments with 2nd and 3rd team players who are just not ready. No five consecutive top-10 classes to build the roster. Some of it we may never know.
Since you want to complain about him not being a miracle worker, well step on up and apply for the job. Let those who have never had anything to learn in your job cast the first stone. Sheesh. Get some perspective.

Reactions: 17 people
I'm not impressed, and doubt I'm the only one.

Maybe Butch made the announcement on Trump's inauguration day because everyone would be paying attention to that instead.

nope. didnt watch, heard all i needed to hear on radio on way home from work. Dont like this hire one bit. guess im in the minority. prove me wrong Butch

I'm on board and have faith in the hire. To all those on this site that talk about Butch offense and wanting a change did they not watch the National Championship game same style many of the same plays we just need to keep getting better and sign a Mike Williams and hope our QB can be close to what Deshaun Watson played as. Ohio St offense same style but didnt have the Oline to make them championship worthy. Even Bama went to spread but QB in the end to inexperience in Passing game to make them National Champions. Lets see what our new coaches can bring to table making us even better.

Coaches will help, but the Vols ultimately need better Jimmy's and Joe's :ermm:

Growing a little excited for this hire. Good recruiter and seems an intelligent guy. If he performs well this year, he may pull in some elite talent.

VN Store

Back