Boosters controlling the AD?

K-town Vol Fan

Blood Runneth Orange
I could be off base here but it sounds to me like John Thorton and Haslam have a very real influence on this AD hire. It almost seems as if they've blocked the Blackburn hire to try to get their guy Phil in there. At first, this sounds like a disaster waiting to happen. But ive been thinking....

Think of all the hires Hart has made and even go back to Hamilton. Dooley, Kiffin, DT, Butch Jones. These arent names that were top HC candidates when they were hired. They were bargain hires that maybe, hopefully struck gold but if they didn't, hey, at least we didn't spend that much.

So what if the boosters are tired of it and want to take matters into their own hands. They get their guy Phil in there and basically make major coaching hires themselves. This could lead to us finally hiring that big name coach we've all been waiting over a decade for.

Again, I could be way off here and I know theres a lot more to it but, jmo.

Reactions: 2 people
Very likely. Google Univ Texas for what happens when boosters overtake the AD.

Google "Collegiate Athletics" if you think there are many universities where the major donors DON'T control (heavily influence) the AD. This is par for the course.

AV

Reactions: 5 people
I believe it's Anderson with the Blackburn hire

Regardless, billionaires donating tens of millions of dollars will want a say in where that money guys. Same happens everywhere

Reactions: 3 people
Everyone needs to remember that the boosters also had their hands in on hiring Hamilton, Hart, Dooley , Kiffin and the like. Those with the money just didn't start getting involved in the last 3 months.

Reactions: 3 people
Think the system is bad on The Hill?

The culture Georgia's boosters have nurtured over the last 30 years makes UT look like it's ran by Steve Jobs.

Reactions: 4 people

Regardless, billionaires donating tens of millions of dollars will want a say in where that money guys. Same happens everywhere

'A booster gives $50,000 to the football program and thinks it gives him a right to tell you how to run the team.'

-Johnny Majors
Sometime in the summer of 1992

Reactions: 14 people

Yep. Rich cats trying to swing the biggest d***. Pulling in different directions it appears. As a result, things don't get done....and more often than not, when there is movement, it's usually the wrong direction in UTs case. I expect much the same this time. Same folks gave us Dooley and Hamilton. Until that admin house is cleared of the disruptions and unified, UT will remain adrift with no rudder or captain....aimless.

need to get them out of the decision making process, they are just like congress

Think the system is bad on The Hill?

The culture Georgia's boosters have nurtured over the last 30 years makes UT look like it's ran by Steve Jobs.
Really...replace your 9-10 win yearly coach on a gamble with K Smart. Miami will win the ACC before UGA ever wins SEC. Just reading above about Texas and now UGA reminds me of what Tennessee has just now started to overcome....are we going to take steps backwards to satisfy some ego trips?

Reactions: 1 person
I could be off base here but it sounds to me like John Thorton and Haslam have a very real influence on this AD hire. It almost seems as if they've blocked the Blackburn hire to try to get their guy Phil in there. At first, this sounds like a disaster waiting to happen. But ive been thinking....

Think of all the hires Hart has made and even go back to Hamilton. Dooley, Kiffin, DT, Butch Jones. These arent names that were top HC candidates when they were hired. They were bargain hires that maybe, hopefully struck gold but if they didn't, hey, at least we didn't spend that much.

So what if the boosters are tired of it and want to take matters into their own hands. They get their guy Phil in there and basically make major coaching hires themselves. This could lead to us finally hiring that big name coach we've all been waiting over a decade for.

Again, I could be way off here and I know theres a lot more to it but, jmo.

For the 10,000x time, NO big name coach wants to come here.

Not familiar with the big boosters except for the Haslam's... Would someone please clue me in and their claim to fame? Worked in Knoxville for a year or so but never was interested in the politics of UT.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Not familiar with the big boosters except for the Haslam's... Would someone please clue me in and their claim to fame? Worked in Knoxville for a year or so but never was interested in the politics of UT.

Thanks!

Charlie Ergan - Dish
Haslams - Pilot Flying J
Charlie Anderson - Anderson Media Corporation
Thunder Thornton - CEO of Thunder Enterprises, formerly CEO of American Rug Craftsmen.
Alan Jones - Check Into Cash
John Tickle - Owner of Strongwell

There are a lot of others too. Books-A-Millon guy, Ruby Tuesdays, Regal Cinemas, CEOs and businessman, and a lot of local/regional guys that have made a lot of money through various means.

Last edited:
Chris Ergan - Dish
Haslams - Pilot Flying J
Charlie Anderson - Anderson Media Corporation
Thunder Thorton - CEO of Thunder Enterprises, formerly CEO of American Rug Craftsmen.

There are a lot of others too. Books-A-Millon guy, CEOs and businessman, and a lot of local/regional guys that have made a lot of money through various means.

Thank you!

well, the boosters have done such a great job dabbling in hires that it's certain to be a winning decision...NOT...calling Peyton, calling Peyton...:)

GO VOLS!

The bigger decisions go through Big Jim.

Yup. The money that family has is ridiculous. They were ranked the #49 richest family by Forbes. I believe they are worth around 6 billion.

Jones is worth 550 million, Thunder is a multi-millionaire, an Ergen is worth 16.7 billion...

Has anyone made an actual substantive argument about why David Blackburn would not be a good hire? I've heard all the arguments for him (and agree with them), but it seems like this is nothing more than a personality conflict (Anderson is who I've heard) putting a veto on the hire like Russia blocking a UN Security Council Resolution. Is there an argument I've been missing that says why Blackburn wouldn't be the best candidate for the job? Is anyone even bothering to make one with a straight face?

The bigger decisions go through Big Jim.

Kinda gathered that from the posts on here. Big Jim came and spoke at an annual meeting where I worked. Actually a pretty cool guy. He talked about Pilot and how one of the fast food places in their truck stops had ripped him a new one because they didn't know shat from shinola about food service.

VN Store

Back