Doug Matthews comments y'day on AD Search

wmcovol

DM was on 104.5 and spent about 45 minutes basically telling us the Dr. Joe is the one pushing for Phillip Fulmer as AD, and that the decision will ultimately be made by him and Jim Haslam. He said PM would have his comments and state his case (most likely for PF) but that Anderson, Thomas and others on committee are just there.

Don't shoot me, just reporting what he said.

I don't know where Donna Thomas gets her strength and clout but anyone so stupid as to leave Robert R. Neyland off the Hall of Fame initial class isn't worthly of what to select for lunch in my book much less an AD. Without Neyland, that place wouldn't be near the place it is today. Its like the Yankees building monument park and leaving Babe Ruth out.

Reactions: 36 people
How hard would it be to get a replacement for DiPietro?

VN can start a Go-Fund-Me to pay the same search firm they've already got for a new task.

Reactions: 1 person
I'm confused. So which committee are we going with for the final results: Parker search firm, the one out of Nashville, or the internal committee?

Haslam wants a "yes man" for an AD. That's the same reason we can't get a big name coach to come here.

That is just silly, he wants a football "man" in place instead of just an administrator with business experience. Y'all act as if coaches have never been administrators, some of the best administrators are ex coaches like Doug Dickie, Mal Moore, Tom Osborne, Terry Don Phillips, Barry Alverez, Chris Hill, Ron Mason, etc. etc.

Reactions: 9 people
Haslam wants a "yes man" for an AD. That's the same reason we can't get a big name coach to come here.

You're not going to get a 'big name coach" to come to UT offering midrange $s. UT fans squawk and cry over CBJ's $4 million only producing 9-4 now. Can you imagine if we had Harbaugh at $9 million per year and he goes 10-3?

Some of ya'll need to get real real about this big name coach and throwing chickenfeed at them and wanting their head on a pike afterwards. All of that works at cross purposes with each other if you haven't figured it out.

Reactions: 13 people
This should have been the easiest hire in the history of college athletics. You have a VFL just down the road in Chattanooga who loves Tennessee and has the track record to prove he knows what he's doing.

But instead the good Ole boy network is in full play doing stupid s***. I love Coach Fulmer and believe he's a great man, but he shouldn't even be in the discussion.

David Blackburn should have already been hired. I'm to the point of almost hoping he says no if they do ask just so the azz hats have egg on their face.

Ridiculous.

Last edited:
Reactions: 15 people
This should have been the easiest hire in the history of college athletics. You have a VFL just down the road in Chattanooga who loves Tennessee and has the track record to prove he knows what he's doing.

But instead the good Ole boy network is in full play doing stupid s***. I love Coach Fulmer and believe he's a great man, but he shouldn't even be in the discussion.

David Blackburn should have already been hired. I'm to the point of almost of hoping he says no if they do ask just so the azz hats have egg on their face.

Ridiculous.

I agree with this 110%.
If DB is not hired he WILL be hired by another school. He's as Tennessee as PF.

Reactions: 6 people
Just two good ole boys,
Never meaning no harm.
Beats all you never saw, been in trouble with the law
Since the day they was born.
Straightenin' the curves,
Flattenin' the hills.
Someday the mountain might get 'em but the law never will.
Makin' their wayyyyyy, the only way they know how.
Well, that's just a little bit more than the law will allow.
Just two good ole boys,
Wouldn't change if they could.

I agree with this 110%.
If DB is not hired he WILL be hired by another school. He's as Tennessee as PF.

I think both would make excellent ADs. I really don't think Tennessee could lose in this deal unless a third candidate shows up in the mix.

why haslam, check out the browns, suck just like our governer. need to figure how so many dumbasses got in their positions at UT.

Last edited:
That is just silly, he wants a football "man" in place instead of just an administrator with business experience. Y'all act as if coaches have never been administrators, some of the best administrators are ex coaches like Doug Dickie, Mal Moore, Tom Osborne, Terry Don Phillips, Barry Alverez, Chris Hill, Ron Mason, etc. etc.
Problem is, we play more than football on the hill.

Is it such a horrible thing for us to have 5 solid candidates for AD?

Blackburn
Fulmer
Davis
Battle
Manning

None of them could be the Home Run hire, but none I them would be a total bust either.

Release the Beast!

The top is only the top when folks continue to fill Neyland for an average product. It want change. It want change. It want change.

You're not going to get a 'big name coach" to come to UT offering midrange $s. UT fans squawk and cry over CBJ's $4 million only producing 9-4 now. Can you imagine if we had Harbaugh at $9 million per year and he goes 10-3?

Some of ya'll need to get real real about this big name coach and throwing chickenfeed at them and wanting their head on a pike afterwards. All of that works at cross purposes with each other if you haven't figured it out.

Harbaugh doesn't have to look at a chart to know when to kick a field goal or ask an assistant coach to tell his DB's to turn around and look for a ball.

Harbaugh has gone 10-3 each of his first two years. Butch went 5-7 and 7-6. Jim also inherited a 5-7 team. I'd pay $9 million and go 10-3 for Butch's first two years after going 5-7. The future looks good for UM. We've hit our ceiling.

Reactions: 2 people

VN Store

Back