Very interesting take on the AD search....

CAVPUT

Embracing the inner nega in all of us
Hope the mods won't merge/bury this in the other PF/AD threads. Think it might be good for fans to read this one as I think the author is correct on many points.

The UT Athletic Director Fiasco — What We Should Be Asking

LINK

Reactions: 3 people
Hope the mods won't merge/bury this in the other PF/AD threads. Think it might be good for fans to read this one as I think the author is correct on many points.

The UT Athletic Director Fiasco — What We Should Be Asking

LINK

Thought-provoking & somewhat disturbing. Still cannot fathom why $650K for search firm is needed. :ermm:

Reactions: 2 people
In the words of Arthur Fonzarelli...

Exactamundo!

Thought-provoking & somewhat disturbing. Still cannot fathom why $650K for search firm is needed. :ermm:

As per the author's speculations....cover for a potentially bad hire? A lot of what she says adds up and makes a lot of sense when taken as part of what we've been seeing from the admin on the hill.

For another perspective.....

Another good read

Last edited:
I think she has hit the proverbial nail right on the Administration's head. Until / unless there are some significant changes in the Administration, this is the reality of life as a UT Vols fan. SMDH :mad:

650K for somebody else to find our own AD, but we can't fire Butch, it would be too expensive. Makes sense.

Reactions: 5 people
This is turning into a fiasco! UT should hire fulmer or go national and hire someone like alabama did with years of experience and a great resume.

We need to hire the search firm so that they can inform the newly formed committee of options that they can evaluate and suggest to the Chancellor so that she can make the decision.

This is how academics and bureaucracy work. Slowly with no leadership.

In the words of Arthur Fonzarelli...

Exactamundo!

Or Jules! :gun:

188765-079df84aa85b50a995877bd0fbc43b2a.jpg

Reactions: 4 people
Where did that number come from? 650k? They spent 75k on the search for a new chancellor.

Seems I read they already have one search firm on retainer but hired a different one for the AD search..

Reactions: 1 person
Very interesting. Her position may very well be true. I hope it's not, but it could be.

Either way, Celina Summers is a smart young woman. That was easy to read and crystal clear. Thanks, Celina.

Just send me a check for $25,000. and I'll have the AD in his office before NSD.

IMO we need a new BoT, a new Admin and a new AD and this should all be done NOW!!!

VFL...GBO!!!

Just send me a check for $25,000. and I'll have the AD in his office before NSD.

IMO we need a new BoT, a new Admin and a new AD and this should all be done NOW!!!

VFL...GBO!!!

A new BoT and Admin should have been hired when they allowed neutral gender pronouns on campus. This school is a laughingstock.

But play Rocky Top and yell "Whoo" and it'll make everything OK.

Reactions: 7 people
650K for somebody else to find our own AD, but we can't fire Butch, it would be too expensive. Makes sense.

Considering firing Butch would cost an order of magnitude more than hiring a search firm, I don't think your argument really makes sense.

A new BoT and Admin should have been hired when they allowed neutral gender pronouns on campus. This school is a laughingstock.

But play Rocky Top and yell "Whoo" and it'll make everything OK.

They didn't "allow" anything. The pronouns were written in a newsletter put out by the office of diversity, and while silly, were only suggestions and were not a mandate or binding in anyway. No need to be disingenuous and spin it like it was it was some kind of campus wide effort that they attempted to make mandatory across the University.

Reactions: 4 people

I'm pretty confident we have people in the "search firm" game profiting going and coming from them as VN posters. Why? because when the subject comes up we'll have some defending their use as if the food on their table depended on them, which literally could be.

I've been on all three sides of the "search firm" game when I was working everyday for a living. First, I've paid search firms to be included in their list of candidates and was employed as a result. Second, as a hiring manager I was forced to use search firms by major corporations as it was a policy of theirs. Third, I avoided using search firms as it was my responsibility to find the best people possible when hiring and being responsible for those I hired and their performance. Pointing to a search firm after a hire for less than stellar performance should not be a crutch for any hiring manager.

Search firms in my opinion do as advertised, they will provide a list of qualified candidates. But it is caveat emptor afterwards, so why use them??? IMO it is a con game, if I had someone I knew I wanted in the list of candidates, I simply had them contact the search agency, apply and do whatever was required to be in the pool of candidates supplied. In all my years in business not once did I ever find a candidate more qualified than the one I had contact the search firm agency which I in turn hired. I could have saved the candidate, the search firm, and the corporation requiring theirt use the time money and effort. Dont even get me started about kickbacks, especially when working abroad and I am not so naive as to believe it does not occur here in the USA as well.

Last edited:
That article is spot on, particularly the part about shifting the focus of fans and the media from the admin's own failures to "to long-running arguments that diffuse and distract from the real issues."

Outside of VN (who seems to know what games are afoot), I think they've succeeded in doing that. On the local sports talk shows this week, any discussion about Fulmer as AD quickly becomes a discussion about whether or not he should have been fired or how good of a coach he truly was.

Where did that number come from? 650k? They spent 75k on the search for a new chancellor.

That is what I was wondering. No mention of that $ in the article or any that I have read. It is my understanding that they are just now going through the procurement process for selecting the search firm. But maybe I am just behind in the news cycle.

Wow! Celina Summers articles are spot on.

We made the weather and then stand out in it and say "$h*t, it's raining!"

They didn't "allow" anything. The pronouns were written in a newsletter put out by the office of diversity, and while silly, were only suggestions and were not a mandate or binding in anyway. No need to be disingenuous and spin it like it was it was some kind of campus wide effort that they attempted to make mandatory across the University.

It took stupid to a new level and gained us yet more negative press.

Reactions: 3 people

VN Store

Back