Mike Canales close to being named Tennessee’s quarterbacks coach

dduncan4163

Have at it Hoss
https://www.seccountry.com/tennesse...les-close-named-tennessees-quarterbacks-coach

GoVols247 reported Wednesday night that the Volunteers “will imminently name” Canales to the role. 247Sports reported that Canales, who worked this past season as Utah State’s running backs coach, is the only of Tennessee’s various candidates to be quarterbacks coach who received two in-person, on-campus interviews. He was in Knoxville on Monday, 247Sports reported.

Looks like he beat out Dorsey and Weinke for the job. I hardly know a thing about Canales but I hope he's the guy we've been needing to coach our QBs up..

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 people
We have 3 studs at QB and and here's hoping Canales can get them ready to compete. It's going to be a fun competition to watch heading into the 2017 season.

Reactions: 4 people
I hope whoever is ultimately the QB coach, can develop them at a high level and recruit at a high level as well.........

Reactions: 3 people
Which one of you guys edited his Wikipedia page? :)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Canales

"After a brief stint with Utah State in 2016, he was named the Quarterbacks Coach at the University of Tennessee in January 2017, reuniting with Offensive Coordinator Larry Scott, with whom he worked while at the University of South Florida."

"On January 19, 2017 Canales was hired as QB coach at the University of Tennessee, after head coach Butch Jones decided his QBs weren't throwing enough interceptions."

Attachments

• wikimike.jpg
    wikimike.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 95
Reactions: 21 people
The 247 link does mention that he's got "history" with Scott but not to what extent. I've heard good things about him as a QB coach, so let's hope this was a good move.

The article does also mention the expiring contracts of Mahoney and Striplng as well...:question:

Last edited:
We have 3 studs at QB and and here's hoping Canales can get them ready to compete. It's going to be a fun competition to watch heading into the 2017 season.

Not to be a Debbie Downer but if Canales is so highly regarded as a QBs guru then why is he coach running backs at his Alma Mater?

Reactions: 24 people
Which one of you guys edited his Wikipedia page? :)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Canales

"After a brief stint with Utah State in 2016, he was named the Quarterbacks Coach at the University of Tennessee in January 2017, reuniting with Offensive Coordinator Larry Scott, with whom he worked while at the University of South Florida."

"On January 19, 2017 Canales was hired as QB coach at the University of Tennessee, after head coach Butch Jones decided his QBs weren't throwing enough interceptions."

geeze.... i could probably name about 10 right now that would stoop so low to do that. "i'm a diehard fan of ut football, but i'll go on wikipedia and make fun of my own team because they did something i don't like."

Reactions: 9 people
not a coach with a winning history, look at last years Utah State's record. not sure about this one yet.

You really can't put their win/loss record on one coach. If you look at the running back stats. All RB's together averaged 5yds per carry. And individually some did very well. As a positions coach, you really have to see how the position did. I.E. Our Oline and Oline coach.

Reactions: 1 person
Jones is on the hot seat and probably will not be here by December. He's underachieved the past 2 seasons and now he's going to have to overachieve with a new QB and most of his top skill players gone coupled with a recruiting class that is really thin on guys who are physically ready to start in the SEC as freshmen. There's nothing in Jones' history to suggest he will succeed at this mission. Under the present circumstances, Canales is probably the best he can get.

Reactions: 7 people
Not to be a Debbie Downer but if Canales is so highly regarded as a QBs guru then why is he coach running backs at his Alma Mater?

They had just purged UNT...he looked around and took a job. Being his alma mater prolly helped them. Why don't you look at his resume BEFORE that one season?

Reactions: 6 people
Jones is on the hot seat and probably will not be here by December. He's underachieved the past 2 seasons and now he's going to have to overachieve with a new QB and most of his top skill players gone coupled with a recruiting class that is really thin on guys who are physically ready to start in the SEC as freshmen. There's nothing in Jones' history to suggest he will succeed at this mission. Under the present circumstances, Canales is probably the best he can get.

Knowing this precludes you even having to watch this season...must be fun. :boredom:

Reactions: 4 people
They had just purged UNT...he looked around and took a job. Being his alma mater prolly helped them. Why don't you look at his resume BEFORE that one season?

I think some people are wondering why he needed to be purged from NorTex, which is historically a very competitive team at their level, and why he's bounced around so much. Then there's the whole recruiting angle. This doesn't have the feel of a long term hire, probably because it isn't.

Reactions: 2 people
Knowing this precludes you even having to watch this season...must be fun. :boredom:

They gotta play the games and there's always a chance to be surprised. I'm sure the SC and VU fans were surprised when they took out the Vols last year.

I think some people are wondering why he needed to be purged from NorTex, which is historically a very competitive team at their level, and why he's bounced around so much. Then there's the whole recruiting angle. This doesn't have the feel of a long term hire, probably because it isn't.

He had served as interim coach TWICE. The AD felt when he was passed over the first time on getting the permanent position, the new coach was pressured by player sentiment to retain him. He precluded a repeat of that by this declaration. Took the heat for the new coach if you will. Built up some loyalty from the team he coached...don't want none of that here! :nono: I don't see anything unusual about his resume. Unless you're an assistant to a coach that stays 15+ years (ala Chavis), this is what a career assistant looks like.

Reactions: 2 people
You really can't put their win/loss record on one coach. If you look at the running back stats. All RB's together averaged 5yds per carry. And individually some did very well. As a positions coach, you really have to see how the position did. I.E. Our Oline and Oline coach.

VN does.

A rather bland resume/hire IMO. He's a good buddy with Butch so that made him the obvious choice. This is how Butch with his thin skin and insecurity rolls. When his name surfaced, I knew he'd be the pick just like we all know he'll promote Scott. I think Canales covers a bit for Scott's inexperience at OC. Insurance hire and it remains Butch's offense. Hey, this is his job, his choice. Then again, perhaps Canales is the best he could get?

Outside of 2 years with Phillip Rivers name one QB he developed? Also in a somewhat comparable stop at Arizona his time as OC and CO OC wasn't that impressive either. Just comparing since theres talk of a combo with him and Scott.

2004 Arizona Wildcats Stats | College Football at Sports-Reference.com

Not saying he won't work out here but some are really stretching calling him a QB Guru, dont you think?

VN Store

Back