Deandre Johnson is 'perfect' project for Vols' new strength coach

kamoshika

Some good insight on Gullickson's approach...

Deandre Johnson weighed in at 235 pounds shortly after arriving at Tennessee this month. He's a defensive lineman, so some quality time in a college weight room and an introduction to a calorie-heavy nutritional plan are in order. The former three-star prospect out of Miami is looking to add 15 pounds in his first months with the Volunteers, so perhaps he was paying the most attention when Tennessee's five early enrollees met with new strength coach Rock Gullickson last week.

"Rock is very exciting," Johnson said. "He's a very interesting guy. He knows the body well, and I'm just excited to get to work with him. I'm trying to change my body, and I feel like Rock, he's the perfect guy to do that."

Deandre Johnson is 'perfect' project for Vols' new strength coach | Times Free Press

Reactions: 15 people
If these kids are smart they will do everything that Rock tells them to do (and then more). We are blessed to have a S&C coach with NFL coaching experience, that's all I'll say. Definitely one of Butch's best hires, he seems very genuine and knowledgeable based on what Ive seen on Hard Knocks.

Reactions: 5 people
I seem to recall Darrell Taylor coming in at the same weight but he's more a pure speed rusher...

I didn't think you were supposed to post positive articles. Only articles where the sky is falling and Butch is trying to sabotage the program.

This sounds like a high character kid. Good to see that is a priority for Butch in his recruiting. Also I am pretty sure Kiffin is going to have the star athlete felons in south Florida locked down for the next few years anyway.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 people
This is why so many of are 3 star kids can excel at SEC level. They have athletic ability you want length you want and hopefully the heart to succeed. I love Solomon and Reid as outside backers they have the skill level of top 100 players but because of weight didnt get the same pub. Solomon hips change direction as good as any LB in country and with the Rock bringing back some Old School lifts like Stucky did here you will see kids like this take off in our program.

Reactions: 3 people
Rock does not desire for Deandre Johnson to be fat or flabby. Muscle weighs more than fat, and Rock wants Deandre Johnson bulking up with muscles. Rock wants a hard Deandre Johnson who accelerates like an F-15 and hits like guided munitions.

Reactions: 1 person
Lots of projects for the Rock. Buchanan comes to mind, Jeff George, a lot of our Dline and LBs could use some bulk and most importantly for both groups to stay healthy.

VN Store

Back